Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

In Reverse

Re: yd300 weekend

Post by In Reverse »

Riding stright through I take it Bob?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

In Reverse wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:31 pm Riding straight through I take it Bob?
There's bivy kit in that there saddle pack :wink:

Don't think I'm fit enough to ride through. If I'd had the rides I'd planned then I'd considered it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

A mat in there as well?

I'm too bulky with bivvy, mat & sleeping bag to get everything else in the saddle pack. I'll be carrying a half frame bag for tools/spares/snacks.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Yep, a Klymit X-frame.

Tools and spares are in the Wildcat Cheetah, trail food will be in the stem cells.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Did I just see Cath on that climb out of Skipton?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Escape Goat wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:59 pm Did I just see Cath on that climb out of Skipton?
Nah!, she's cooking our tea :-bd She's been back home since about 4pm.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Well I saw someone. Check again, she may have nipped out!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Have fun all. I wish I was there. Sadly life's really not allowing that sort of thing right now.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well that didn't go as planned :sad:

Felt really jaded. Any slight incline felt like a max effort rather than just a bit of a strain. Not helped by the "slight breeze" in the forecast being a near gale! Struggling in third gear on the flat isn't particularly edifying. Also felt a bit sick after eating a gel and that feeling didn't go away. Got to Buckden at 75km, thought about going over to Askrigg and cutting out the northern loop but then thought "what's the point?" so headed back down the Dale to Skipton.

Looked at my HR data after and I was nowhere near maxing out, in the five and a bit hours to Buckden I was only in my sub-threshold zone for ten minutes, for four hours my HR was in my pootling zones, to use a non-technical term, yet everything felt the opposite.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Mine didn't go to plan either, got to Starbottom after battling up the North Moor Road and hit a mental wall. all of the below little issues turned into one big one.

1)bnb on noisy street, social distancing a thing of the past. Drunk idiots till 5am meaning that I couldn't actually get any quality sleep, main reason for cooking the hotel.
2) guy at hotel said he'd make a bacon butty for the morning - he never and breakfast wasn't searved till 8am.
3) spot batteries dead had to find more
4) UV arm protectors not packed
5) base layer not packed
6)only sweet stuff packed as was going to use resupply for real food
7)no breakfast because of battery hunting
8)no dinner because the pubs in Yorkshire are sub standard
9)no streams to filter water that I was happy with
10) 200k left of the route with limited actual food
11) brakes overheating

Had to call it whilst I was still in control.

12) oh and the most important, ipod headphones kept turning music down :lol:

Scratched at Starbottom, headed to Kettlewell for ice cream and a sulk, then back to Skipton.

Next year...
Last edited by Escape Goat on Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Was it you I met at the top of the long drag up Sype Land? http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=412057 ... &A=Y&Z=120 Had a chat about what we'd packed?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

It was not I'm afraid.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Genuine commiserations there 'Goat, that sounds like a deluge of poo descending on your head :sad:. Ice-cream looked nice though. And Bob, not used to you being under the weather - not enough ice-cream?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Cheers RIP!

Eagerly watching Strava uploads for people completing their ride, or the ride. Had a good day on the bike, so wasn't all lost.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

In Reverse and Mike have posted up their rides on Strava - looks like conditions didn't improve that much.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I don't have In Reverse on my Strava, just Mike - sounds like a damp night.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Escape Goat wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:23 pm I don't have In Reverse on my Strava, just Mike - sounds like a damp night.
Looking at the Strava flybys, John Allen passed me near the start and rode through, his ride comment is "grim morning, nice evening, then pissed it down all night". Mike bivvied at the highest point of the route then had about 40mins of descending straight away, not ideal if you haven't warmed up and it's wet.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Yep, pretty much the same story here.

Just couldn't get my average speed up and, although I was enjoying the riding, the headwind and the general struggle meant I wasn't looking like getting back until well into Sunday evening. I'd packed for dry weather too so the forecasts of heavy rain showers that started popping up around lunchtime were already giving me thoughts of cutting it short .

Had the same experience with trying to get food - got to Askrigg about 5pm and two of the pubs were fully booked and the other wasn't starting serving for another hour. The next place was Grinton nearly 30km away and I figured if I got there and none of the pubs around there/Reeth were serving then I'd be in serious trouble.

Decision made - I waited for the pub to start serving, stayed there for nearly 2 hours and had 3 courses and 3 pints, cut across to Bainbridge and did the Roman Rd climb, then dropped down to Ribbleshead and roaded it back to Skipton via the pizza shop in Settle.

Got back to the start at about 1.30am and had just got my head down in the back of the car when the big rain started. It was a lovely feeling tbh. :lol:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Escape Goat wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:23 pm I don't have In Reverse on my Strava, just Mike - sounds like a damp night.
Just sent you a follow request.

It was me you were talking to just before Pateley Bridge and again at the pie shop. I'm SO glad I bought that pie! :grin:

I saw Mike arrive back just as I was packing up to go this morning. He did NOT look happy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I didn't buy a pie. Even with your warnings of lack of resupply i wasn't thinking and ended up thinking I should have turned back and got more food. I decided against it. Meh ill never do thst again now!

Nice, I'll log in and sort now!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

9)no streams to filter water that I was happy with
Allen.. I know a guy, who when in and around the Dales somewhere on his road bike and after seeking out streams for ages, finally settled on some green water which passed all the rest of the tests and was coming from up high. Legend has it it might have made hin stronger. Its was on one of the mountain roadswith water trickling down it lile a dead waterfall.. True story...

Sorry to hear everyones stories and glad they all got back safely. Andy, that must've been such a wonderful feeling getting head down with bug-rain just smashing down.

Anyways, none of the stories have made me any more afraid of attempting the DD... Honest :grin:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Well I really enjoyed that - a bit damp to start, but then brightened up and was sunny all Saturday. Got to Reeth Dales Cycle Centre around 4 ish for hot food and a takeaway sausage butty, Then after Castle Bolton started riding with Zach Jennings (does a lot of fellrunning) and then on the Roman Road got caught by Jamie Ward. Rode with them until the finish. Was thinking of riding straight through, but after the climb out of Dent and the descent to Ribblehead we all really needed a few hours recovery (descending rocky stuff was becoming more and more risky and climbing was just pushing). Bivvied at Ribblehead Viaduct for 4 hours, then had the remaining 100km this morning. Big fry up at a tea room in Malham (dodged the rain), and then a cracking ride back. 300km, 6800m climbing, and burnt around 10500 calories. Just over 30 hours (where does all the dead time go - my moving time was about 20:30 so 10 hours not doing anything (eating, sleeping and faffing)
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

It was great to meet you Bob - Thanks for the advice!
I took it easy after Buckden to try to keep the hamstring cramps at bay.

Went to Askrigg Stores for a Pork Pie and then surprised and chatted to my in-laws over their garden wall (their home is 200m from the shop!).

I bivied for 3 hours at the end of the Roman Road- just before it merges with the tarmac road.

I bumped into Karl Booth this morning on the Pennine Bridleway on the side of Ingleborough ! - He was on Day 3 of his journey to Cape Wrath :grin:

Managed to get to Elaine's Cafe in Feizor at about 10am this morning - that was life-saver as it was tipping down.

Overall a great experience - some stunning trails that I had not done before :-bd

35hrs 17mins elapsed time. I had about 10 hours of dead time too, but much slower moving time than Steve - 25.5 hours. Interestingly, 500 feet more ascent than the Lakeland 300 that I did 3 weeks ago! :shock:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3855659118
Last edited by stevewaters on Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Epic. I often wonder the same regarding dead time.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

A lot of gps devices auto pause if your pace drops below 4kph or something. Garmin Edge do this. Strava copies the times as "not moving" but adds the distance anyway. You always end up with miles more "not moving time" because of this if you've been on a ride where you've done a lot of pushing or had to keep slowing down for gates etc.