Tool Rolls: whats your selection of choice?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Tool Rolls: whats your selection of choice?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Mind the title was just trynig to make it sound catchy. Currently thinking of the Acepac version from the shop as its only £15. Whereas the similar (possibly betterer engineered) Restrap version is £30.

I also briefly looked at Ospreys version, but only out of moral/ethical allegiance and support (they gave us 6 or 7 exDemo or Seconds backpacks when we did our first ever charity ride, Liverpool2Leeds, for McMillan... over 10 years ago of which some I know are still going super strong). Besides, they're seemingly harder to get hold of anyway...

Is there any I should be looking at that don't cost over the £30 one already seen, but will come overengineered with good working ethics and hopefully last a very long time (to make the cost/year eventually well worth it).

Thanks (for your kind thoughts :grin: )...
ScotRoutes

Re: Tool Rolls: whats your selection of choice?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Tool roll? I don't own such a thing. FOMO means I'll have to follow this thread now.
redefined_cycles

Only recently discovered it Colin after I had Stu make my BB one in DCF for exoerimentation purposes. Its really good just being able to chuck it between bikes as the only thing that doesn't get crossed oves is the spare tube...

FOMO=
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mind the title was just trynig to make it sound catchy. Currently thinking of the Acepac version from the shop as its only £15. Whereas the similar (possibly betterer engineered) Restrap version is £30.
I would just say, don't confuse 'reasonably priced' with 'cheap'. As is so often the case, price doesn't reflect quality :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I try to keep tools on each bike.
techno

Post by techno »

Hey shaf, I don't use a tool roll. I have all my less used (fingers crossed) tools in the wildcat equivalent of this https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.c ... t/Jerrycan. Mounted in front of the seat post. I then have my pump (too large for a tool roll or tool bag) inside my frame bag and my lezyne multitool somewhere accessable in my frame or feed bag.
I like the idea of a tool roll but find this setup works for me as I only have one bike :lol:
Anyway, when I was looking for one, the camelbak tool roll was the one I fancied.
https://www.camelbak.com/en/R04063--201 ... 1b1abfd751
techno

Post by techno »

Fear Of Missing Out
RIP

Post by RIP »

I must be doing something wrong as usual. Got mine in an old bread-loaf bag with elastic bands round it in me seatpack.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
composite

Post by composite »

I have the AcePac tool roll and I'm very happy with it. Been using it to keep tools tidy in the frame bag as well as stand-alone strapped to my saddle rails.

I have both Restrap and other AcePac stuff and I think they are both really good. I really can't see any difference in terms of the quality of the kit though. I would struggle to think how the Restrap version can be double the value for money of the AcePac one.
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:05 pm
I would just say, don't confuse 'reasonably priced' with 'cheap'. As is so often the case, price doesn't reflect quality :wink:
Yes. Definitely agree on that point Stu... I doubt the CB (not the one for me) would be as well engineered as the AP. Just wondered what people had come across (not much it appears). Hopefully some snotty (sorry , whoever you are :o :lol: ) poshNut might have invested in summat significantly 'higher' made and will be calling past here shortly... Hopefully without too posh a pricetag...
redefined_cycles

techno wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:09 pm Hey shaf, I don't use a tool roll. I have all my less used (fingers crossed) tools in the wildcat equivalent of this https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.c ... t/Jerrycan. Mounted in front of the seat post. I then have my pump (too large for a tool roll or tool bag) inside my frame bag and my lezyne multitool somewhere accessable in my frame or feed bag.
I like the idea of a tool roll but find this setup works for me as I only have one bike :lol:
Anyway, when I was looking for one, the camelbak tool roll was the one I fancied.
https://www.camelbak.com/en/R04063--201 ... 1b1abfd751
Andy... i retract my statement about the camelback... doesn't look to pricy does it :-bd thanks... Jerrycan probs wouldn't do my job (aside from the cost) as its partly gonna be used for quick removal from the BPing bags when parking at work for 12ish hours...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

My tools just live in the pockets of my Wingnut. What's the value of a tool roll? Curious not critical :cool:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Varies. No tool rolls though

Wolftooth bag with the bits and bobs in, attached either to the frame or seat rails.
Tools chucked in a frame bag
Tools in an old food bag, or no longer waterproof dry bag to keep them together stashed in a frame bag

I used to have a little lezyne bag with tools in my jersey pocket, but this annoys me these days.

Never use a tool roll or the wolftooth bag inside another bag or frame pack though.
redefined_cycles

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:40 pm My tools just live in the pockets of my Wingnut. What's the value of a tool roll? Curious not critical :cool:
Only been using for about 6 months which Stu cobbled me together. Really useful for my application (one set of tool acros 2 bikes with their own dedicated pumps so no need to add that in) and it appears the fully designed ones have attahment points for various 'hang it here' points on the bike (take a look at the pics of the Acepac one in the shop to see what I mean). Been a real eye opener for me as I dont need to count tools in and out anymore... just move the roll wherever I want it or whichever bag and I know I have a certain amount of safety net with me without having to have thought too much about it.

It includes (but not limited to)... brakepad spares for the mtb, di2 'thingy' for snapping cables back in (needs editing out), my multi tool (well Gorilla Grip Allen keys actually but they do the job), some thread and a curved needle, puncure repair patches and a tiny tube of weldtite lube, valve core remover.... etc etc.
Probably wouldn't work for everyone but one thibg that used to stop me getting out riding quickly was the thought process of 'have I got enough vitals' from one bag to the next... now i tend to have one less thing to worry of...
techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:32 pm I must be doing something wrong as usual. Got mine in an old bread-loaf bag with elastic bands round it in me seatpack.
No, you're doing it right reg. Not gonna get a lighter one than that anywhere!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

the thought process of 'have I got enough vitals' from one bag to the next.
Pretty much the reason for having tools on the bike. Of course, this means investing in tools and bags for each bike too.

I also have a set in a backpack which accompanies me on my longer day rides.
redefined_cycles

techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

COBBLED TOGETHER! :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:13 pm COBBLED TOGETHER! :shock:
That was translated by everyone as 'masterly craftsmanned together'... You ask em. I love mine (but like you hinted at, the DCF wouldn't bw lasting forever. Been nice whilst it lasted and still alive and kicking (maybe another 4 months before the DCF becomes properly holed out. Made me wonder how on earth folks managed to risk DCF BPing bags. Must be an expensive hobby (mine was super cheap in comparison and the design touches were/are genius)...

I think I've redeemed .myself
redefined_cycles

techno wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:12 pm UK made + recycled to boot: https://www.beerbabe.co.uk/ourshop/cat_ ... ducts.html
Wow... How is that full framepack so cheap. I always assumed stuff from BB was really expensive
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

If you're open to other options, I use one of these kegs and it's brilliant (and cheap)...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZR1QKV1/ ... 11_TE_item

It goes in a bottle cage or gets chucked in a frame bag. The small one contains everything I need apart from a multitool and pump. 100% waterproof as well.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I try to keep tools on each bike.
Yes but with 6 bikes that gets expensive pretty quickly
Generally I have a complete set up on the commuter and then the toolroll for everything else - I dont always take all of it
redefined_cycles

ChrisS wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:47 pm If you're open to other options, I use one of these kegs and it's brilliant (and cheap)...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZR1QKV1/ ... 11_TE_item

It goes in a bottle cage or gets chucked in a frame bag. The small one contains everything I need apart from a multitool and pump. 100% waterproof as well.
Thanks Chris. Plus one for the weight (my current legendary roll has carbon workings with DCF and I think it measures up at around 12g or something) which is reasonable at 54g. Unfortunately its probably too much bulk for me that :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

Of course properly maintained bikes shouldn't need fixing* trailside. So no tools needed.

(*except when they do)

On your average day ride how many times do people generally have to fix/adjust something? I can't think of many times in 20 or so years that I've had to resort to fixing more than a puncture (probably 2 chains broken, a few seatpost clamp adjustments, and a stem bolt that I didn't tighten properly). Lots of punctures over the years though so a pump and spare tube is always carried.