Free bike service

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Free bike service

Post by voodoo_simon »

Haven’t read the ins and outs but you can claim a free voucher from Boris to get your bike serviced

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fix-your-bi ... -a-voucher

Starts tonight at 11.45pm and I don’t think it’s just Halfords either :-bd
Dave Barter

Re: Free bike service

Post by Dave Barter »

Can I plead that you only use this if you have to.

We are all cycling converts and this is meant to get those not currently riding out there.

It's like the rich taking heating allowances, I'm sure they are entitled but do they need to?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Well said Dave... maybe get that message tweeted out via the various channel...

I'll certainly be taking your advice :smile:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Yeah, that make sense Dave :-bd

Did think it would be useful for those servicing next door neighbours kids bikes etc
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I don't see this being much use to me, but if it the government are going to pay a LBS to do a service that I'd otherwise do at home, that seems like a good thing for them? Not that they seem to be struggling much for business at the moment, but it's a thought...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I assume there'll be a budget and once that's gone, that'll be it?
May the bridges you burn light your way
JimH

Post by JimH »

From what I’ve read it’s £50 towards the cost. Anything over and you pay. Idea being it’ll get those unloved bikes back out on the road
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:05 pm I assume there'll be a budget and once that's gone, that'll be it?
Also seems to only apply to England from what I’ve read.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Also seems to only apply to England from what I’ve read.
We don't bother with any of that servicing nonsense over here :wink:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

From the link
Eligibility

The scheme is open to anyone in England who has an unused cycle in need of a repair.

However, as there are a limited number of vouchers available, please consider the needs of others before applying for a voucher and do not delay making planned repairs outside of the scheme should your circumstances allow it.
Its really not for us
gairym

Post by gairym »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:33 pm Can I plead that you only use this if you have to.

We are all cycling converts and this is meant to get those not currently riding out there.

It's like the rich taking heating allowances, I'm sure they are entitled but do they need to?
Interesting UK take on this.

The same scheme has been in place for months in the France and the take-up is being actively encouraged (especially as it's not 'quantity limited') in order to support your LBS through difficult times.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Good shout Gairy. I'd go to my LBS if I had a voucher, otherwise I'd just do it myself
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

In the last 4 months I've noticed an awful lot of old school racing bikes out on the road (including a few really nice ones) ridden by people who have the look of "I've just dragged this out of my / my parents shed and I'm out riding it as there is nowt else to do" So hopefully they will take advantage of this (and Halfords spannerers won't knacker them!).
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

I'm with Dave, on this.

Have only ever used my LBS to chase and face my BB, so not about to start now, just because it's 'free'.

The morals of doing so would be the same as all those folks who get a 200mm travel downhill bike on the cycle to work scheme - it's disingenuous and dishonest.

If you do normally avail yourself of your LBS then it's less clear cut, as the LBS will benefit but as others have stated, most of them seem to be doing OK right now (unless the current lack of bikes means that business has slowed down)

Definitely think that it's aimed at the previously neglected bikes that need attention to get them rolling again.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm thinking many LBS will quickly get p1ssed off wrestling with piles of scrap :wink:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I just think it is a great way of encouraging new cyclists. I’ve fixed up several bikes for returning riders during lock down. There are only 50k vouchers going out tonight so let the returning riders have them. The lbs gets a NEW customer to boot and sells them an upgrade.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I think a lot of people will struggle to find a mechanic, I was told by my local shop that a wheel build would be mid September at the earliest!
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
psling

Post by psling »

I've managed to get hold of a few of these so if anyone missed out I'll pass them on for £20 each before they go on fleabay. You'll still be making a saving of £30 so I reckon that's a good price. Cheers.

Apologies but the above is a very poor example of my incredibly offensive sense of humour :wink: :roll:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

psling wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:42 am I've managed to get hold of a few of these so if anyone missed out I'll pass them on for £20 each before they go on fleabay. You'll still be making a saving of £30 so I reckon that's a good price. Cheers.
And we'd expect nothing less from the troglodytic, EMF loving, deliverance type hillbillies

It's not just you mate
Scud

Post by Scud »

Apparently the site crashed within first hour and has been down since.
ton

Post by ton »

i think it is a waste of money.
people will claim it, and hopefully use it to get a bike fixed up.
the bike will be used once and thrown back in the shed.
this is england, where the majority of people are lazy bastards who choose to jump in their car to cycle a mile to the shop.
our nations sheer pigheadedness is ' i work hard to pay for my car so i will use it regardless' be it good for me or the enviroment. we are just a very lazy nation.

the whole lockdown thing made everyone want to do something because we had been told we were not allowed. hence the boom in everyone wanting to exercise. once we are back to some kind of normality it will revert back to everyone jumping in their car to queue in traffic for their 5 mile commute, which could be cycles or walked just as quickly.

imho.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Our government are nothing if not consistent
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:19 am
Our government are nothing if not consistent
We were debating this in the (virtual) office this AM. It's utter incompetence. Really easy to anticipate and plenty of options to mitigate.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I'm with Sweary Dave on this. What a load of horsesh!t. £50 voucher for a service, £10 for a meal out. feck off. Jobs, infrastructure, healthcare, proper management of the nation, dealing with the care-crisis. Sort all that sub standard out before wanking out some bullshit spaff scheme that is, quite frankly utter horseshit and is just a toddler's sub standard smearing effort with a bit of tax money (where the feck do people think all this magical money is coming from to pay for this sub standard, never mind months of fucking paid furlough for vast numbers?????)

RANT RANT RANT RANT ~X( ~X( ~X( ~X( ~X(

..... and breath. Where the feck is my PANDA!!!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »