Galloway

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Delv4

Galloway

Post by Delv4 »

Hi All

I have plotted out this route for myself for a short tour of Galloway in September assuming no further Covid lockdowns. A nice mix of tarmac and hopefully 40mm friendly gravel paths, ideally with zero hike a bike!

Anyone know if all the route I have plotted is right to roam/public access or are there any amendments I should make?
ScotRoutes

Re: Galloway

Post by ScotRoutes »

If it's in Galloway then it's all public access.

The first/last few km might be less than pleasant due to the number of HGVs heading for and leaving Cairnryan.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

After Creetown, Anwoth & Gatehouse of Fleet are worth a visit.
After your diversion to Cambret Hill just continue on Slakes Road & then take the offroad section (you may have to walk a couple of bits) that drops you into Anwoth.
The graveyard there is fascinating & was used for some scenes in the Wickerman.
https://www.findingthewickerman.co.uk/anwoth
B796 into Gatehouse of Fleet- there's a Spar, cafe, couple of pubs & an odd little place that serves pizza.
Laurieston Road out, left fork through Low Barley, left at Carstramon Wood & back onto the B796 to re-join your route.
The Portpatrick Railway is quite good after Loch Grannoch & there's a nice wee picnic area at Loch Stroan. But if you need to cut that loop off, the fireroad just to the east that runs parallel to the loch (Grannoch) will take you all the way to the base of Clattering Shores dam.

(Hopefully someone more local will also be able to help- Stuey Cowp to the forum!)
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:53 pm The first/last few km might be less than pleasant due to the number of HGVs heading for and leaving Cairnryan.
yeah i've cycled that section a few times already so know what I'm in for, cheers
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

Wotsits wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:41 pm After Creetown, Anwoth & Gatehouse of Fleet are worth a visit.
After your diversion to Cambret Hill just continue on Slakes Road & then take the offroad section (you may have to walk a couple of bits) that drops you into Anwoth.
The graveyard there is fascinating & was used for some scenes in the Wickerman.
https://www.findingthewickerman.co.uk/anwoth
B796 into Gatehouse of Fleet- there's a Spar, cafe, couple of pubs & an odd little place that serves pizza.
Laurieston Road out, left fork through Low Barley, left at Carstramon Wood & back onto the B796 to re-join your route.
The Portpatrick Railway is quite good after Loch Grannoch & there's a nice wee picnic area at Loch Stroan. But if you need to cut that loop off, the fireroad just to the east that runs parallel to the loch (Grannoch) will take you all the way to the base of Clattering Shores dam.

(Hopefully someone more local will also be able to help- Stuey Cowp to the forum!)
Cool info, thanks
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Delv4 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:01 pm Cool info, thanks
No probs :-bd

The Gem Rock Museum & cafe in Creetown is also supposed to be worth a visit..
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks a good route, I've done a few jaunts around Galloway and there is some nice cycling to be had.
One minor thing - the old railway line past Loch Skerrow is a swamp - I'd cut off it on the fire road just back from the loch - this joins the raiders road at Craigdoon.
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

htrider wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:28 am Looks a good route, I've done a few jaunts around Galloway and there is some nice cycling to be had.
One minor thing - the old railway line past Loch Skerrow is a swamp - I'd cut off it on the fire road just back from the loch - this joins the raiders road at Craigdoon.
Thank you, can't see it getting any less swampy between now and Sept
matt_brk

Post by matt_brk »

I might also be doing a similar route in early-mid September. I'm planning on coming from the East, doing the same/similar from Raiders Road to Loch Doon but my route then heads East again. I'll be on 35mm tyres so hopefully they'll cope with the forest tracks.
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

matt_brk wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:19 pm I might also be doing a similar route in early-mid September. I'm planning on coming from the East, doing the same/similar from Raiders Road to Loch Doon but my route then heads East again. I'll be on 35mm tyres so hopefully they'll cope with the forest tracks.
Maybe see you on thr road/gravel
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

How accurate/dependable is the data for the Midgie forecast on this site?
https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

I'll be sailing in to Cairnryan on a Sunday so quite a few shops will be closed, anyone know of anywhere close to my route that would be open and sells gas canisters for my camping stove?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Delv4 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:05 am How accurate/dependable is the data for the Midgie forecast on this site?
https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/
The midges are brutal at the mo and SW Scotland is a particular hotspot so it will just be a case of putting up with them..... If haven't already, get some smidge! Also try and bivvy in the breeziest location you can find and you'll be fine :???:
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

htrider wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:47 pm The midges are brutal at the mo and SW Scotland is a particular hotspot so it will just be a case of putting up with them..... If haven't already, get some smidge! Also try and bivvy in the breeziest location you can find and you'll be fine :???:
I'm too flavoursome to Midgies to try a bivvy, tent with midge netting for me and yes have already bought some smidge in advance so hopefully I can keep the worst of them at bay
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Delv4 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:58 am I'll be sailing in to Cairnryan on a Sunday so quite a few shops will be closed, anyone know of anywhere close to my route that would be open and sells gas canisters for my camping stove?
I think there'd a couple of outdoor type shops in Newton Stewart, not sure if they'll be open on Sunday though. Could be worth ringing/calling in at the bike shop at Kirroughtree, they may be able to help/point you in the right direction..

We rode the Port Patrick railway a year last Jan & i can't remember it being overly wet or icey. It's definitely not a smooth surfaced path though! I just found it quite an interesting part of the route we did. If you really don't want anything wet and/or muddy, avoid the off-road into Anwoth after rain too..

Let us all know how your trip goes!
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

Wotsits wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:31 am I think there'd a couple of outdoor type shops in Newton Stewart, not sure if they'll be open on Sunday though. Could be worth ringing/calling in at the bike shop at Kirroughtree, they may be able to help/point you in the right direction..
Probably better for me to just bring a cannister with me, due to the Sunday shops issue... more on-bike weight :roll:
Wotsits wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:31 am We rode the Port Patrick railway a year last Jan & i can't remember it being overly wet or icey. It's definitely not a smooth surfaced path though! I just found it quite an interesting part of the route we did. If you really don't want anything wet and/or muddy, avoid the off-road into Anwoth after rain too..
Thanks
Wotsits wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:31 am Let us all know how your trip goes!
I'll be bringing a Camera and a gopro so no worries on that score
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

I think this is going to be very close to my final setup, might buy a pannier rack though cos that seatpack sways around a lot

RIP

Post by RIP »

Don't be tempted to the pannier-rack dark side :smile: . Apologies if preaching, but the seatpack should be more or less a rectangle or oval when viewed from the side. You've got quite a bit of brewers droop at the back there which will be contributing to the sway. Whatcha got in there, and in what order? The whole pack and harness should be tight as a gnat's...

Love the bike colour :-bd .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

RIP wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:16 pm Don't be tempted to the pannier-rack dark side :smile: . Apologies if preaching, but the seatpack should be more or less a rectangle or oval when viewed from the side. You've got quite a bit of brewers droop at the back there which will be contributing to the sway. Whatcha got in there, and in what order? The whole pack and harness should be tight as a gnat's...
yeah packing will be crucial, original plan was to put my tent in the seatpack but that left zero room for anything else. Still playing around with the setup to be honest and the pack was definitely not cinched down as tight as it could have been for this pic (similarly the front was not cinched down either).
RIP wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:16 pm Love the bike colour :-bd .
"Sorry mate I didn't see you" won't wash with this one
RIP

Post by RIP »

One mod you could make to the pack is put a rigid strip of something along its base inside but that would be slightly 'papering over the cracks' of course. My Alpkit Koala has a strap running from the base round the back across the opening to a clip on the top so cinching is tight. Guess those Ortleibs don't have one.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

RIP wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:32 pm One mod you could make to the pack is put a rigid strip of something along its base inside but that would be slightly 'papering over the cracks' of course. My Alpkit Koala has a strap running from the base round the back across the opening to a clip on the top so cinching is tight. Guess those Ortleibs don't have one.
I'm still toying with the idea of packing the Tent in there, there is no droop with that setup. A couple more weeks of playing around with setup options before choosing the final setup and setting off, fair to say my already slow climbing speed is going to be reduced to walking pace :shock:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Still time for a short shakedown outing... Sounds like a good trip anyway, have fun!

Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

RIP wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:15 pm Still time for a short shakedown outing... Sounds like a good trip anyway, have fun!
Cheers
Dean

Post by Dean »

Delv4 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:44 pm I think this is going to be very close to my final setup, might buy a pannier rack though cos that seatpack sways around a lot

https://www.ortlieb.com/uk/seat-pack-support-strap
I use one of these and it makes a big difference (not as big as packing the bag well in the first place).
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

Dean wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:25 pm I use one of these and it makes a big difference (not as big as packing the bag well in the first place).
Many thanks Dean

I had another look at it all this morning and reverted to putting the Tent in the seat pack and it holds its shape so much better, I'll get out a test ride on it soon to see if I can live with the sway and if not then that strap you recommend may well have to be yet another purchase