Tarp poles ... an update

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zoglug

Re: Tarp poles ... an update

Post by Zoglug »

As i am looking to pick up one of these tarps, what pole set up would you recommend? One large one small, or both the same size?

In my practice pitches before the kit went, i was having a nightmare pitching using the bike, so thinking a couple of poles will help!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As i am looking to pick up one of these tarps, what pole set up would you recommend? One large one small, or both the same size?
The tarps pretty long at over 3m so lend themselves well to a few different pitches. Aside from the usual 'A' frame they work well as a stretched out 'mid with a long pole out front and a shorter pole to raise the rear.

So to actually answer your question, I'd suggest a 110cm and 70cm ... that should allow a few pitches but shouldn't limit options. The limiting factor is likely to be the number of tie-out points on the tarp.

BTW, they're a very well made tarp.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

s8tannorm wrote:
So to actually answer your question, I'd suggest a 110cm and 70cm ... that should allow a few pitches but shouldn't limit options. The limiting factor is likely to be the number of tie-out points on the tarp.

BTW, they're a very well made tarp.
Its the same tarp i previously had, before it ended up on the tip :oops: i was very happy with it, it was just my skill which was lacking.

Excellent! I shall be in touch very soon once ive checked the pennies!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll add some pics here later, which should hopefully provide some ideas / inspiration for anyone struggling with their tarpage ;)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A little inspiration for the tarpists out there. Poles are a mix of 110cm and 70cm, there's a Rig7 and a smaller (1.5m x 2.3m) tarp in the pics which is a similar size to a Siltarp or TN Comp.

Possibly one of the easiest set ups with a single pole. A little short on leg room with this sized tarp but pretty weather proof so long as the door's facing the right way.

If you want a bit more room add a second 'lifter' pole at the rear.

Fairly standard 'A' frame with a long and short pole.

If you want a bit more protection, leave the poles in the same place and simply drop the tarp on the lines.

Lean to with a rear 'lifter' pole. Nice and roomy with plenty of head room, just remember to face the opening away from the weather.

Another 'A' frame but altered for nasty weather. Short pole inside the tarp (rather than outside) to make a small beak and a 'lifter' line taken from the mid point.

Same set up as above from the front ... not much room but you'll stay dry no matter what's happening outside.

Two long poles used to form a floating 'mid. Roomy and very stable but maybe not best for nights when there's plenty of rain. It would be ideal for a longer tarp in bad weather though.

Rig7 ... two poles and five pegs produces ample room for two and gear ... looks a little Trailstar(ish). ;)

If you're wondering how the lines fasten to the poles ... simple, secure and no knots.
jameso

Post by jameso »

If I took pics of that many pitches you'd see the shadows changing in each one, and sunset in the last one .. )
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

In the ones with the "beak" what do you use to protect the tarp from the pole? Is the silnylon strong enough to cope with the pole tip?

I'm still wanting one of these for a trailstar middle pole, probably just two domed ends and I'll maybe drill a hole to put a loop through it. How much would it be for a ~95cm three section and a ~30cm extension to plug in the bottom? Was going to use your suggestion of a coke bottle top on the end when it's at 95cm so the end doesn't fill up with dirt.

Stu.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll send you a PM Stu ... what you suggest wouldn't be a problem.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm still wanting one of these for a trailstar middle pole, probably just two domed ends and I'll maybe drill a hole to put a loop through it. How much would it be for a ~95cm three section and a ~30cm extension to plug in the bottom? Was going to use your suggestion of a coke bottle top on the end when it's at 95cm so the end doesn't fill up with dirt
If anyone's interested I made one of the above yesterday. There's 4 sections in total, 3 sections are shockcorded together resulting in a 95cm long pole. The 4th section can then be added / removed as required to produce a 130cm long pole ... the tricky bit is shockcording the 3 sections together without fitting a tip on one end. ;)
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Looking forward to seeing the results!