A road trip around Wales

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mattpage

A road trip around Wales

Post by mattpage »

I've had the idea of riding around Wales for a little while and given recent circumstances it became more possible.
Changed the plan a bit, so went to each furthest compass point that can be reached by roads, or road bike at least and also crossing the highest road pass (Gospel Pass). Tough route, 985km with 12,000vm+.

Not sure how to embed a video, if its possible here. But link to a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HZf-R64FIE&t
In Reverse

Re: A road trip around Wales

Post by In Reverse »

Great idea for a ride. Will watch the vid later. :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep nice idea and nice little fillum.

I've had an idea on the backburner for a long time which is exactly the opposite of yours but I'm still trying to work out how it can be done :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Mike

Post by Mike »

Fairplay fella that was some route. One I won't be taking on :lol: out of interest what bibs had u got on matt?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

also crossing the highest road pass (Gospel Pass)
It's odd because I always think Bwlch y Groes feels higher than Gospel pass. Must just be the surroundings that give it that lofty feel :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

I had that same thought stu!
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Bwlch y Groes definitely feels higher and its significantly harder... but not (quite) the highest.
For once I am glad of it.

Doing Bwlch during TINAT, which would have been maybe 250km in the legs, but a light bike and gravel bike gears was hard enough. Loaded and 36/30 smallest gear I am sure I'd have been walking.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Mike wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:23 am Fairplay fella that was some route. One I won't be taking on :lol: out of interest what bibs had u got on matt?
ASSOS Equipe. My backside isn't too fussy with bibshorts, but for longer trips I stick to ASSOS and they work. Not a tiny bit of discomfort at all despite not taking them off (literally) for the whole trip. Sleep in them, ride in them.
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd just bought some cento evos to try. When are you going to hammer around the big bear route, it passes your foot door ;0)
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

mattpage wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:54 am not taking them off (literally) for the whole trip. Sleep in them, ride in them.
Now that would play merry havoc with my "contact points". :lol:
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Mike wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:33 am :-bd just bought some cento evos to try. When are you going to hammer around the big bear route, it passes your foot door ;0)
I have to do the 200 before the 300? :wink:

ASSOS bibs, assuming the ones you have are the same miss out a section of stitching in the middle of the chamois and I think this might be key. I don't know any other brand that does this.

Hard to fault Castelli or Sportful either mind and I have a really nice set from MAAP, although only the single jersey/shorts so hard to comment much on the brand as a whole.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have to do the 200 before the 300?
No, he means the Big Bear 530 Matt. It's simply a route and not an event ... although finishing will feel like an event :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd thats ya bugger stu
Dean

Post by Dean »

mattpage wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:01 pmASSOS bibs, assuming the ones you have are the same miss out a section of stitching in the middle of the chamois and I think this might be key. I don't know any other brand that does this.
My Endura bibs are like this, but they might not have originally come in the box with this feature...
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Dean wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:55 pm My Endura bibs are like this, but they might not have originally come in the box with this feature...
Endura have always seemed to have a strange chamois pad placement to me. Way too far forward.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:03 pm
I have to do the 200 before the 300?
No, he means the Big Bear 530 Matt. It's simply a route and not an event ... although finishing will feel like an event :wink:
Tell me more! 🤣
composite

Post by composite »

Enjoyed that, made me think of my 4 day trip in March. Jealous that you crossed Barmouth in daylight and of the weather you had. I wasn't expecting much in those terms though... it was March after all.

I had been thinking about doing Birmingham to St Davids and back at the end of August. Seeing the quick shot of the Cathedral in your video has pushed me to do it a little more. :smile:
psling

Post by psling »

Wales certainly presents itself as an ideal country to circumnavigate and that looks like a good ride - even better over a couple more days for the dawdlers amongst us!! Fair do's to you though, that was a great effort :-bd
A couple of years ago I did a ride around the boundary of Pembrokeshire via bridleways and quiet roads - somewhat shorter but equally as rewarding. CX bike from Lamphey near Tenby to Amroth Castle via Saundersfoot, then heading north past Narberth to Maenchlochog and across the edge of the Preselli Mountains to pick up the Cych then Teifi Valleys to Cardigan and then follow the coast back around via Fishguard/Goodwick to St. Davids, Pembroke Dock and Stackpole and back to Lamphey. That took me the same time as your ride Matt but coffee stops and visits to craft breweries are my excuse :lol:

Your outward route linked with Stu's Offas Byke route would indeed be a true circumnavigation of the Principality.

(p.s. I know you were just a bit tired (!!) but it's the Wye at Bigsweir Bridge on the way to Tintern, not the Usk :wink: )
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

psling wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:33 pm (p.s. I know you were just a bit tired (!!) but it's the Wye at Bigsweir Bridge on the way to Tintern, not the Usk :wink: )
Doh! Of course I did know that. :oops:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Enjoyed that Matt, good ride. Quite a few familiar spots /roads but loads of new stuff to me. I always find it reassuring when other people go through the "20km to home that way, or 200km this way" dilemma - glad you made the right choice!!
FLV

Post by FLV »

"About 380k now and my legs are starting to feel it" :shock:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Will watch that Later Matt, sounds like an interesting route. Just got back from a S-N-S road-packing ride across Wales inc some of the TINAT route so I probably crossed some of your path. Glad I'm not there in with the sun on my back straining up the Bwlch in the 29 degree heat forecast today!