Paint or powder?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Paint or powder?

Post by BigdummySteve »

While I’ll really admit to being a bike tart it only runs to the mechanics, the frame is looking a little sorry for itself. The only tape covers bear metal patches which were starting to corrode.
At the moment Im without a bike due to wheel failure, I’m going to be off it until payday or warranty.
While I have an enforced lay off I might get the frame refinished, are there any great reasons to go for one finish over the other?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Paint or powder?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Powder is way tougher than paint but getting a paint like finish isn't something all coater are capable of. If you decide to go the paint route, I wouldn't bother with anything other than 2K unless you're doing it yourself.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Powder is better paint is cheaper - though not by that much - if you spray it yourself

I would go with powder personally.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I've heard that whilst powder is harder wearing generally, it's more brittle and so if you do get a chip the coating is likely to crack right through to the metal, whereas with paint you might just damage the top coat.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've heard that whilst powder is harder wearing generally, it's more brittle and so if you do get a chip the coating is likely to crack right through to the metal, whereas with paint you might just damage the top coat.
Not really true Dave. It'll all depent how well the powdercoaters know their trade. If it gets lobbed in with a load of garden railings then the outcome might not be as good as it could be :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It's probably easier to find a good painter than a good powder-coater? But whether you can convince the painter to spray a frame rather than working on expensive cars is another matter. It helps if they are a mate and the sort of bloke who'll pack up work early when it's sunny to go ride his bike :smile:

Having a Yeti sign in the office is a clue to his priorities :wink: That's a green base with lacquer over, in 2K baked on. I actually passed him on the trails yesterday, both of us had finished work mid-afternoon, rather embarrassingly I wasn't on the green bike he'd painted :oops:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nylon powder coat for me. My local place does a primer coat so it really sticks to the metal, eliminating the tendency for water to creep under the powder coat. Avoid epoxy powder coat as its very hard but chip prone.

Make sure you have a full set of taps to clean any threads out afterwards as the powdercoat will strip the threads off a bolt.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I had a frame powder coated (gloss black) a couple of years ago - it came to about £120 (it was a frame with a lot of bits and pieces), and the finish was only OK.

I've just bought a load of paint for a DIY paintjob in 2K (incl lacquer). It worked out at around £7/can for primer, £15/can for colour and £9/can for lacquer. Assume 1 can per coat. Plus 2K paint is nasty stuff so either do it outside or a proper mask is needed.

Neither are cheap - probably getting a mate to do it is the best option, especially if you do all the prep, and they do your frame when they are next painting a car in the same colour.

Or a proper professional job at Argos or Bob Jackson's is £200+

There's a few online paint suppliers who will supply any colour in an aerosol - but it isn't cheap going down that route......
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:37 pm
Not really true Dave. It'll all depent how well the powdercoaters know their trade. If it gets lobbed in with a load of garden railings then the outcome might not be as good as it could be :wink:
Sounds like you know better than me, so I'll stand corrected. FWIW I know a few people who've had frames done at a place very near me and have been impressed, and not heard of any long term problems, so I intend to use them if/when I need it doing. The place is Bettablast in North Tyneside, but probably not much use unless you're local.

Since Steve's mentioned prices, I seem to remember a frame being about £75 but don't quote me on that.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

slarge wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:31 pm probably getting a mate to do it is the best option, especially if you do all the prep, and they do your frame when they are next painting a car in the same colour.
I'd have to of waited a long time before someone was having a car painted Pantone 375c :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Ok I decided to go with powder, found I had a place less than a mile away. He asked the right question regarding masking of bearing surfaces etc and his work looks good.
It’s not going to be subtle :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

BigdummySteve wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:47 pm It’s not going to be subtle :-bd
Excellent.