MontañasVacias Mapping Artwork Available

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

MontañasVacias Mapping Artwork Available

Post by pistonbroke »

All round good guy Ernesto Pastor has produced a hand drawn map of the MontañasVacias route and is offering copies, either A3 for wall mounting or A2 as a functional map to carry when riding the route. The price will merely cover the printing and postage, if anyone who's done it or is wanting to do it from the UK, it would be sensible to join forces to combine post costs. Let me know names and I'll contact him. Amusingly, if there's a small surplus, the bar where we had the world's largest all day breakfast will receive a donation as others found a warm welcome there as well.
More details(in English)can be found here.
https://montanasvacias.com/pre-order-mapa-mv/
TheBrownDog

Re: MontañasVacias Mapping Artwork Available

Post by TheBrownDog »

Sigh ............. Rich, Charlie and I were due to head there in Sept, but none of us fancy getting into a plane right now. Another sigh ............

Hopefully we'll make it next year, so I'd love one of the A2 maps please. Will PM you details.

Cheers
Tim
I'm just going outside ...
jameso

Post by jameso »

That's really nice. Ernesto's got a lot of talent for illustrations and maps.
Chew

Post by Chew »

TheBrownDog wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:32 pm Sigh ............. Rich, Charlie and I were due to head there in Sept, but none of us fancy getting into a plane right now. Another sigh ........
Just do it. Few out to Italy earlier in the week. No problems at all.

Duncan, put us down for an A3 version
Think I still have heartburn for that all day breakfast...
Scud

Post by Scud »

Hi Duncan

Could you put me down for an A2 please, it is on our radar to ride having ridden one of their Italian routes and enjoyed it so much.

Do you think that Spain will appreciate tourists at this time? What's the state of play over there at the moment, must of hit you hard?

Paul. (we only met briefly in hostel at start of TNR..)
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Hi Duncan, I’m planning on (hopefully) riding this next Easter. I’ve registered my interest on the montanas vacias website for an A3 and A2 version.
Thanks
Mark
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

To focus on the maps, I've emailled Ernesto to get some idea of the time scale for printing. My son is visiting in 3 weeks, he lives in Sheffield so could act as courier. MrsPB is flying to Manchester in early Sept and going to Sheffield as well if 3 weeks is too soon. I'm not sure whether the maps are rolled or folded which would clearly affect the postage costs. Atm, we're looking at 6 maps, not sure if there's a cut off date for the first batch but I assume the more ordered and less fragmented the delivery, the lower the price.
Re visiting and Covid. As usual a very black and white picture is being painted of the situation. The number of cases recorded around here until the state of alarm was lifted was precisely zero, the same is true of much of Aragon where the MV route is located. Observance of mask wearing is very high and people are following the clear rules. Since travel restrictions have been relaxed, there have been isolated cases recorded but afaik still no deaths. It's difficult to describe how remote the MV area is, when we rode it last September, we went for hours on end and saw no-one. Personally, I'd fly to Castellon or Valencia, both are non-tourist airports in fact I don't know why Castellon exists, the only service is once a week from Stansted.
Mark, unless Easter is very late, be careful that the weather doesn't bite you before May. I'd planned a trip through Teruel in mid April this year (cancelled obvs) and it snowed heavilly the week before.
Scud, the impact of a few riders would be negligible, so long as you wear masks off the bike, you'll be welcomed. Not sure where you got the Italian link from but Ernesto is not involved with anything other than MV
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Hi Duncan, thanks for the tip re the weather. Easter is early April I think next year, so we had wondered about the temperatures-I guess it gets pretty cold away from the coast, especially at night. I’ll do a bit more research and see.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Yes Mark, pretty well all the route is above 1,000m and the plateau of Javalambre is 2,000m, it also snowed when the pro roadies from Lotto Soudal did it in October. The nearby town of Molina de Aragon, famous for it's lack of Italian restaurants before AndyB chips in, has the lowest ever recorded temperature in Spain at -25° so it's not the Costa del Sol. :shock:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just heard back from Ernesto, to keep it simple, he's suggested you register your interest on the link at the top of this thread and he will email all UK recipients to ask if they want my delivery service. He doesn't reckon on them being available before early Sept anyway so this ties in nicely with Trish visiting then. He'll send them to me and we can take it from there.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Thanks Duncan, that is really useful. What would be a usual daytime and nighttime temp in the area in early April?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Spring can be very variable, this year April daytime temps were mid to late teens and night between 2 and 8 degrees. One good snippet is that there's a huge airfield just out of Teruel which is used to store passenger jets as the climate is similar to Arizona with very low humidity and rainfall although we had a couple of thunderstorms when we rode the route last September.
Chew

Post by Chew »

The weather we had late September was spot on. It could have been luck, but the heat of the midday sun was just about bearable for an hour or so, and the nighttime temps didn’t drop too low.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Thanks Duncan/Chew. I’m keen to avoid too much heat, but equally don’t want to end up carrying a huge amount of extra clothing/warmer bag etc in order to keep warm. Typical April temps sound ideal, I’ll keep an eye on the forecast and do a bit more research. September sounds good, but I am tied to school holidays unfortunately.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Had an email from Ernesto today, looks like he's been flooded with interest for the maps. He has put in an order for the first batch and has agreed that my idea of collating the UK orders should work. Further info to follow, in the meantime, who has actually registered on the MV site? Just gives me an idea of how many he's likely to send me.
Chew

Post by Chew »

You’ll get one for me Duncan :-bd
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I’ve also registered on the Montanas website.
Thanks
Mark
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

My moniker is on the list too Duncan..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Scud

Post by Scud »

I've not had registered on their site, just expressed an interest to you that i'd definitely like one please.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Scud, I posted the other day that he said to register as then he could contact you with the option of delivery via me or direct and base his order on firm numbers. You may have to wait for the second run or I can ask him if there are any spare once the print run has happened. Given the shenanigans over travel back from Spain, Trish isn't sure about her Sept trip to Sheffield as she was only planning to be there for a week so 2 weeks quarantine won't work, still there's a few more Cummings inspired twists and turns likely before then.
Scud

Post by Scud »

No problem, I should read the whole post!
Chew

Post by Chew »

Just having a look at the email asking for payment.
Cant grumble at €2 each :-bd

Is it just easier to get them delivered directly as doubting its worth the additional effort of having you mess about with coordinating them Duncan?
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Fair comment Chew, I didn't know the price when I suggested a group delivery, although it was partly a way of saving Ernesto the hassle of individually sending each one (other groups in Madrid and Zaragoza have done similar things) however given the uncertainty of Trish's return trip, I think sending them direct is the better solution. So can EVERYONE who has registered and had the email from Ernesto please ask him to send it direct, not via me. If anyone wants a map but hasn't registered on the initial run, please decide what you want to do independantly. Cheers.
Chew

Post by Chew »

My map arrived today :-bd
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Argh, missed this. Will register interest for any future print run.