What's This Structure?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

What's This Structure?

Post by Escape Goat »

I rode past this on the Pennine Trail. There looks like a there was some sort of house type building a little way up the hill.

I know there's loads of old farms and farm houses along the way, but I wasn't sure about this.

I thought it may have been a log storage, but seams a bit over built for that.

whitestone

Re: What's This Structure?

Post by whitestone »

It's a lime kiln. Basically a big fire with limestone blocks sat on top. Once the fire has died down you are left with lime which is used on acidic land as an improver.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

That's brilliant. Thanks so much.

So deffo not a pizza oven then...
ootini

Post by ootini »

There's some monstrous jobbies near me. Will try to get some pics to share
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Id like to see them if you could.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Lots in the Dales. Usually a lot of shake holes near by too.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If you are ever passing Langcliffe, just up the road from Settle, have a look at the Hoffman kiln there - https://www.yorkshire-dales.com/hoffman-kiln.html.

The lime kilns you see dotted around the countryside were "charge, fire, empty" in use whereas the Hoffman kiln was a continuous process - the kiln is shaped like an athletics track and the fire would work its way round with workers on the leading side of the fire adding more material while those at the back would remove the lime.

The kiln isn't obvious to find. Head from Settle towards Horton, you cross over the Settle-Carlisle railway in Langcliffe then about 500m later there's a stone works on the left. Just after this a lane goes off to the right under the railway. Take this which leads to a parking place by some houses - the kiln is about 100m ahead.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

You’d get a lot of sleeping mats in there :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

BigdummySteve wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:47 am You’d get a lot of sleeping mats in there :-bd
I did suggest it to Chew for the winter bivy :grin:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

whitestone wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:21 am If you are ever passing Langcliffe, just up the road from Settle, have a look at the Hoffman kiln there - https://www.yorkshire-dales.com/hoffman-kiln.html.
We have one of these in a disused quarry near Minera, north-east of Wrexham and due east of Llandegla trail centre. The last time I was there the doors had been blocked off (easily by-passed) to protect the bats roosting there.
BigdummySteve wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:47 am You’d get a lot of sleeping mats in there :-bd
I’ve often thought this - dry, flat, no problem with wind. Winner!
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Whitestone, that looks really good, I'll certainly check it out one day.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Escape Goat wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:46 am Id like to see them if you could.
Sorry I'd forgotten about this. I'll get some proper ones soon, but this is from a previous trip.

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

whitestone wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:21 am If you are ever passing Langcliffe, just up the road from Settle, have a look at the Hoffman kiln there - https://www.yorkshire-dales.com/hoffman-kiln.html.

The lime kilns you see dotted around the countryside were "charge, fire, empty" in use whereas the Hoffman kiln was a continuous process - the kiln is shaped like an athletics track and the fire would work its way round with workers on the leading side of the fire adding more material while those at the back would remove the lime.

The kiln isn't obvious to find. Head from Settle towards Horton, you cross over the Settle-Carlisle railway in Langcliffe then about 500m later there's a stone works on the left. Just after this a lane goes off to the right under the railway. Take this which leads to a parking place by some houses - the kiln is about 100m ahead.
Is it still being looked after Bob? I had a project for Yorkshire Forward years ago to get permission to develop the old buildings around it for start-up businesses which was supposed to generate some revenue to support upkeep and maintenance of the kiln. My involvement stopped when YF got axed though and I've never had chance to go back up.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:26 am

Is it still being looked after Bob? I had a project for Yorkshire Forward years ago to get permission to develop the old buildings around it for start-up businesses which was supposed to generate some revenue to support upkeep and maintenance of the kiln. My involvement stopped when YF got axed though and I've never had chance to go back up.
Dunno. I think it's under the auspices of English Heritage (or whatever they are called these days). The information boards around the site also talk of other types of kilns and processes - Triple Draw Kilns and a Spencer Kilns. https://www.visitsettle.co.uk/craven-lime-works.html