New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gari

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by Gari »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:10 pm Does anybody else see that and then picture an over-sized tick twister that is going to pull of my testicles :shock:

Just me then :oops:
😂😂😂
Boab

Post by Boab »

I see Alpkit are getting in on the barrel bag action...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:56 pm One for Shafs new FS.
Hmmm... just seen this :grin: but not for me and I'm afraid. A bet they're about £60 which for the capacity of 1L isn't very good sense (plus it looks a bit rubbish :???: ). I just about managed to get my Apidura wProof half frame bag running on the roadie and got it from fleabay for a decent price. Doubt these will be going cheap anytime soon.

Turns out the little one had dreama of having a (muddy)Fox fork with gold writing (and some other bits he found in the Cannondale too). So technically a dream come true for him and thankfully for him I didn't find it too engaging (the Cannondale) and just remembered how FS are so rubbish* at climbing.

Anyway... For the mo he seems content at my suggestion that he needs to start using a backpack for hydration. Soon he'll get back to me with enquiries on that idea as just the other day he realised how much crap had got into/onto the bottle cap which sits under his downtube at present...

On the subject of the Cannondale though... The last guy seems to have overdone it with a 150mm fork but I don't wanna mess up his (little ones) dream bike for the mo.

*Obviously can't speak for a SpearFish but doubt I'd ever afford one of them.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Barrel bag - not sure I get them, and they seem really expensive for what they are. And I can't abide by things attached to the head tube to encourage see-saw abrasion...
Boab

Post by Boab »

faustus wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:49 am Barrel bag - not sure I get them, and they seem really expensive for what they are.
Gives you more storage than two stem cells, with the added advantage of being on the other side of the bars, so your not whacking your knees off them every time you stand up. Not sure I'd consider it for anything other than a gravel type bike though.
faustus

Post by faustus »

K1100T wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:02 am
faustus wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:49 am Barrel bag - not sure I get them, and they seem really expensive for what they are.
Gives you more storage than two stem cells, with the added advantage of being on the other side of the bars, so your not whacking your knees off them every time you stand up. Not sure I'd consider it for anything other than a gravel type bike though.
True about stem cells, they've always got in the way for me when out the saddle...still can't be doing with the head tube attachment though :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Saw this review on bikepacking.com https://bikepacking.com/gear/bedrock-ba ... nu-review/ which I thought was an interesting take on things.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If I use stemcell type bags, then I only do when I've nothing else attached to the bars ... and I mount them in front of the bars.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:39 am Saw this review on bikepacking.com https://bikepacking.com/gear/bedrock-ba ... nu-review/ which I thought was an interesting take on things.
I like the minimalist attachment method. Similar to my 10L bar bag, which simply has two straps round the bars and is stabilised by two cableties underneath from bars to mudguard end. But 200g for 2L of storage? Nah. My 10L bag is only 60g.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:58 am If I use stemcell type bags, then I only do when I've nothing else attached to the bars ... and I mount them in front of the bars.
I tried mounting my two stem cells to the other side of the bars, it didn't go well. The angle of dangle was wrong, especially with the fork straps in place, plus you had to attach them together for stability, so they got in the way of the out front mount for the GPS. It might have worked better on a MTB with a shorter stem though. 🤷‍♂️
redefined_cycles

I'm not sure if this is a new thing but can't recall ever seeing such last year... 33mm gravel tires. I've actually got space (very tightly) for 33 or 34 max in my steel road bike which weighs 2kg just the frame and 700g carbon forks. Usually take it on some gentle (for most on here but not my roadie mate) off road sections with just the 28mm tires in there.

Recently I'm thinking to try some of them said tires to see if I can find some extra suppleness on the gravel (and maybe attempt some more gravel when/if I find it)...

This is the sort of thing I been looking at (obviously I'll not be able to use a mudguard/fender thingy)... specifically the Panaracer Gravelking or Challenge Gravelgrinder...

https://advntr.cc/challenge-gravel-grinder-tlr/

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/26 ... res-221961

Both come in at either 33mm or 34mm... :???:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:50 pm I'm not sure if this is a new thing but can't recall ever seeing such last year... 33mm gravel tires. I've actually got space (very tightly) for 33 or 34 max in my steel road bike which weighs 2kg just the frame and 700g carbon forks. Usually take it on some gentle (for most on here but not my roadie mate) off road sections with just the 28mm tires in there.

Recently I'm thinking to try some of them said tires to see if I can find some extra suppleness on the gravel (and maybe attempt some more gravel when/if I find it)...

This is the sort of thing I been looking at (obviously I'll not be able to use a mudguard/fender thingy)... specifically the Panaracer Gravelking or Challenge Gravelgrinder...

I've been experimenting with schwalbe marathons on my gravel collection with good results (35's and 40's). They are grippy (surprisingly so) roll really well and are bomb proof, even with tubes. Plus they are dirt cheap :-bd . Only downside is their weight (700x40's are just over the 800g mark) and there extreme un-coolness....
redefined_cycles

htrider wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:10 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:50 pm I'm not sure if this is a new thing but can't recall ever seeing such last year... 33mm gravel tires. I've actually got space (very tightly) for 33 or 34 max in my steel road bike which weighs 2kg just the frame and 700g carbon forks. Usually take it on some gentle (for most on here but not my roadie mate) off road sections with just the 28mm tires in there.

I've been experimenting with schwalbe marathons on my gravel collection with good results (35's and 40's). They are grippy (surprisingly so) roll really well and are bomb proof, even with tubes. Plus they are dirt cheap :-bd . Only downside is their weight (700x40's are just over the 800g mark) and there extreme un-coolness....
Thanks Phil... I like a good researcher :smile: ... so in your expert opinion ( :grin: ) am I on the right thinking going up from 28c to 32 and 33c.

According to some of the reviewers you're not actually in gravel territory until about 35c and above. But surely they're talking about road-riding folk right. I was taking my 25c tires on the Condor on hardpacked mud (only briefly) and gravel/cobbles without too much concern (tires didn't last long... wonder why).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've got 28's on the pacer (schwalbe marathon duremes - slick but tough) and its pretty good on fairly smooth tracks. 32's will be a bit better nay doubt so give it a whirl. Look at what the pros ride over on the classics and they are using 25's....
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

They also have extensive pit crews with spare wheels easily to hand...

There should be plenty of choice for gravelly tyres in the 33c range, as that's the UCI mandated maximum width for cyclo cross.
faustus

Post by faustus »

As mentioned above, I thought circa 33mm tyres were what were used as gravel tyres before gravel tyres came along, because that was the max size for cyclocross. Sure they'll do a job if that's all there's room for (and assuming you don't need mud clearance). I've not looked back since having 38-40mm tyres, even for just road riding.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I was thinking about getting some of the Michelin Power Cyclocross for the winter. Plenty of clearance, and plenty of knobbles...

Also, regarding barrel bags — The Grind: The handlebar bag Rorschach test
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think Cath's got one or something very similar.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:26 pm I think Cath's got one or something very similar.
Cath's is the Arkel Randonneur.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

K1100T wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:47 pm I was thinking about getting some of the Michelin Power Cyclocross for the winter. Plenty of clearance, and plenty of knobbles...

Also, regarding barrel bags — The Grind: The handlebar bag Rorschach test
Did you get these tires please Bob?? Any good?
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I raced on the green Mud clincher last cx season. Very good in cx-style mud. Easy tubeless set up, they've still all the air in since the last race and bike's use in January. Wear quickly though. Going Vittoria Terreno Wet next. Pretty much identical tread, bit more hard wearing
Boab

Post by Boab »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:49 pm
K1100T wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:47 pm I was thinking about getting some of the Michelin Power Cyclocross for the winter. Plenty of clearance, and plenty of knobbles...
Did you get these tires please Bob?? Any good?
Haven't bought them yet, as it's not winter...
jamiep wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:26 pm I raced on the green Mud clincher last cx season. Very good in cx-style mud. Easy tubeless set up, they've still all the air in since the last race and bike's use in January. Wear quickly though. Going Vittoria Terreno Wet next. Pretty much identical tread, bit more hard wearing
Vittoria Terreno Wet were my other option, although last time I looked they were as rare as hens teeth...
redefined_cycles

Thanks... Just asked cos I noted my rear gp5000 tubeless looked like a scene from 'Face Off' this eve. Still went for a ride though (naturally) by adding some Tesa tubeless tape over the 6cm missing rubber patch...
Boab

Post by Boab »

Only one hundred being made; almost enough to make me want to buy a hardtail. That is one nice looking bike, although I'm not sure hanging bags off it would really be the right thing to do...