Bum Butter

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Bum Butter

Post by Boab »

My pot of Waitrose Mini Baby Bottom Cream (or whatever it was called) is empty and I need something else. That stuff worked better with my Endura liners, but doesn't really work that well with the oversized pad in my Galibier bibs. What do people recommend for slathering on the nether regions before a long ride...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Re: Bum Butter

Post by redefined_cycles »

Why not try Bum Butter itself from Charlie...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can't answer your question, sorry but the question does make me wonder whether people use creams and potions because they wear shorts with padding or is it simply 'as well as'? People do tell me that I'm insensitive but I never realised it extended to my arse :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

I just use Sudocrem impregnated with honey (raw unfiltered if it makes a difference :-bd ) and both impregnated into my chamoise. Works really well cos if/when blisters do develop the honey puts stop to em becoming nasty or painful (with its antispectic/antibac properties)...

Just be careful to get the ratio right. My firsr mix was so honey-ee that not only did it slowly seep through the chamoise but also through the singletrack bottoms over. Plus point was that it created a very tacky layer so I didn't slide about on the saddle...
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:17 pm I can't answer your question, sorry but the question does make me wonder whether people use creams and potions because they wear shorts with padding or is it simply 'as well as'? People do tell me that I'm insensitive but I never realised it extended to my arse :wink:
you're insensitive and it extends to you're bottom... get some bum butter
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:17 pm I just use Sudocrem impregnated with honey (raw unfiltered if it makes a difference :-bd ) and both impregnated into my chamoise. Works really well cos if/when blisters do develop the honey puts stop to em becoming nasty or painful (with its antispectic/antibac properties)...

Just be careful to get the ratio right. My firsr mix was so honey-ee that not only did it slowly seep through the chamoise but also through the singletrack bottoms over. Plus point was that it created a very tacky layer so I didn't slide about on the saddle...
:-O

Maybe you want to try some peanut butter as well Shaf :grin:

I stopped using anything a few years ago.
It’s no different, maybe better even, with nothing added.
Still have a few sachets of some chamois cream that I take on long ITT type rides. Only time I ended up using it was on the B150 last year but that was because I rubbed my nipples raw X_X
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Scud

Post by Scud »

I only tend to use it on the longer rides or the multi-day rides, i have a lot of scar tissue at the top of my legs, and have found Charlie's bum butter really good, antisceptic and thick enough that it says there all day.
Boab

Post by Boab »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:14 pm Why not try Bum Butter itself from Charlie...
There is that option. Evidently one of the ones the Yorkshire based serial funny price setters do is quite good too.
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:17 pm I can't answer your question, sorry but the question does make me wonder whether people use creams and potions because they wear shorts with padding or is it simply 'as well as'? People do tell me that I'm insensitive but I never realised it extended to my arse :wink:
I didn't used to use anything, but I had rubbing issues during the hot summer of '18 , due to the shear amount of sweat I generated. I only really use it during the summer, or on really long rides. I'm sure better bibs and a better saddle would probably negate the requirement, but I'd rather use it, then ruin my undercarriage.
Last edited by Boab on Mon May 24, 2021 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
psling

Post by psling »

I've been using Charlie's vegan bum butter for a while now on long or multi-day rides and really like it. Used to use Assos minty when it was one of the few available but prefer Bum Butter now. Sudacreme I've been warned off from as it can affect sweat getting away/evaporating although I do use it post ride after washing if I'm a bit 'red'.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:29 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:17 pm I just use Sudocrem impregnated with honey (raw unfiltered if it makes a difference :-bd ) and both impregnated into my chamoise. Works really well cos if/when blisters do develop the honey puts stop to em becoming nasty or painful (with its antispectic/antibac properties)...

:-O

Maybe you want to try some peanut butter as well Shaf :grin:

I stopped using anything a few years ago.
It’s no different, maybe better even, with nothing added.
Still have a few sachets of some chamois cream that I take on long ITT type rides. Only time I ended up using it was on the B150 last year but that was because I rubbed my nipples raw X_X
:lol: oi... who rattled your cage...

NB. I only use it on the 24H attempts. Anything less feels lile am being soft...

PS. Please dont use peanut butter anyone :o
redefined_cycles

Yorkshire based serial funny price setter = ?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Planet X
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Boab

Post by Boab »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:22 pm Yorkshire based serial funny price setter = ?
Planet X, although I don't see the one I was thinking of on their website...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I occasionally use some, mostly when it's very warm. They all seem to work the same. Only one I haven't liked is Udderly Smooth - it's just too runny.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I was advised to use Sudocrem before a big ride. I did and ended up in a bad way (was ok in the months before but the sheer saddle time was hard to recreate before). I was told afterwards that Sudocrem is a barrier cream and inhibits sweat or causes back up, perhaps the cause of some problems with certain types of discomfort.

Assos cream has worked well for me on anything where I expect to be out 5-6hrs+ (used with poly boxers not padded shorts). More so when hot. Has taken a long time to get through it and just about to get more so will try some recommended equivalent to see if it's worth the premium for Assos.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've used the Endura one recently. Seems OK.
redefined_cycles

K1100T wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:28 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:22 pm Yorkshire based serial funny price setter = ?
Planet X, although I don't see the one I was thinking of on their website...
Aha... How did I forgot. I recently considered selling some rims with their branding on em for 50p each (new looking and seem well built aswell). Just to keep up with their pricing structure
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Charlies stuff is good. Best I have used from the UK.
There is stuff from Australia called Aussie Butt Cream and that is no.1, although not sure you'll find it here.
Squirt used to have some stuff and that was more like thick grease, but quite effective and especially on wet rides.

I'd look for something with a natural bacterial, like tea tree oil.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Imagine my confusion when I misread the title this thread as "Rum Butter", the traditional Cumbrian delicacy.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
jobro

Post by jobro »

Charlie does another cream now called Save our souls (say it quickly you'll get it!) Its the same as Bum Butter but with added Thyme. Not sure if the Thyme has any additional properties, but it does smell nice. SOS is available from Singletrack, which might put some of you off, but is surprisingly is cheaper than Bum Butter.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Well, I never did quite get round to buying anything, and have been making do with some Decathlon anti-chafe stick, as I had some for open water swimming. Totally forgot to put any on yesterday, as I haven't ridden a long way since the Festive Bollocks 500. Anyway, started rubbing after 50km or so, which was new, as I've gone over 100km with these bibs before and not had any issues. At 90km, when I hit my first cafe stop at Maglia Rosso, I had to gingerly limp into their shop and make a purchase.

A non-liberal application of Chamois Butt'r later, and I made it home without further damage. Slathered a load on the raw bits after a shower, and no pain this morning.
samwise

Post by samwise »

mattpage wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:00 pm Charlies stuff is good. Best I have used from the UK.
Agree! I might try some https://www.bristolbuttr.co.uk/
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Another vote for Charlie's Bum Butter. Bit pricey, even with Singletrack member discount, but I don't use very much - only on very long rides. I don't do padding anymore, preferring Stu's patented au naturelle approach.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've been much more comfortable since I stopped using it. I've noticed that swamp crotch (caused by bum butter) was a much bigger issue from me than a little chafing.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

jobro wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:52 pm Charlie does another cream now called Save our souls (say it quickly you'll get it!)
I had to do that three times before I had a face palm moment. I'm tired.

Assos minty for me. I don't use it much as I don't do much long-range stuff anymore, but it is very good. I do get saddle sores - just lucky I guess - and I suspect I should use it pretty much all the time, but I can't be arsed.

And please forgive me for this, but I can honestly say that whenever I apply it, it's, well, um, like, my bum can "taste" it .... No, yeah but seriously. I get the same sensation when I eat a Polo mint. But just from my bum.

I'm guessing that's just me though.
I'm just going outside ...