Garmin, what's the future hold?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Garmin, what's the future hold?

Post by pistonbroke »

Now that they've finally realised that a) most of their devices are used outdoors during the day and b) there's a big yellow thing in the sky that can provide additional source of power for said devices, how soon do we think their bike and trekking range of gps will follow their wrist units and have solar charging? If they can crack this and given the right climate, it could make taking dynamos and/or power banks with dodgy connectors a thing of the past. Anyone care to discuss the pros and cons?
Rasta

Re: Garmin, what's the future hold?

Post by Rasta »

Not me.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well an Oregon with unused stuff turned off and recording will use around 250mA/h so at 6V that's 1.5W. A 1.5W solar panel is 80x137mm without any sort of frame to protect the edges.

Of course that assumes the panel is working at optimum capacity.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I'm sort of assuming that future units will be designed to be more power efficient and be able to be customised so you only run features you specifically need. Eg, on the new 530 and 830 units, the amount of time spent airborne is of little interest to me.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My Vivoactive 4 will run for several days between recharges if it's only being used as a watch/step-counter, but only a matter of hours for activity tracking.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Garmin will come out with modular a device that is basically a gps with tracker module that can be turned on/off as required. Unit would incorporate replaceable/serviceable/rechargeable batteries with multi source (solar dynamo and power pack) external charging.
In use it would incorporate the better bits of Track and Route in one without the annoying switching the screen on and off between way points and with a larger screen with a more user friendly HMI - perhaps voice activated?
Well it could happen.
A bonus would be a Phaser to zap fecking deaf walkers on narrow cycle paths - oops did I say that out loud?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
composite

Post by composite »

Mariner wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:11 pm perhaps voice activated?
I did wonder about that as my GorPro has voice commands. Can't be that far off surely.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Still waiting for a function to open/close my trunk (seat bag) and doors (frame bags) by pushing a button/icon on the gps.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Alpinum wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:41 am Still waiting for a function to open/close my trunk (seat bag) and doors (frame bags) by pushing a button/icon on the gps.
Get a Wahoo... they have manual mode :lol:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

They're really old school.