Pannier users - a q on chainstay lengths

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Pannier users - a q on chainstay lengths

Post by jameso »

I asked this on STW and will try here too- for those of you using panniers, can I ask how big they are (10l, 20L and bursting most of the time etc), how long your chainstays are and if you find heel clearance an issue? (I guess not otherwise you wouldn't use them, but how much room you have is of interest)

It's for a frame (commercial interest declared here) where I'm trying to balance a mix of uses and I don't want to rule out rear panniers with enough kit for a tour (not word touring, more a week or so's holiday). 450mm+ means most bags and feet are accommodated but that's longer than I'd go, ideally.

Thanks.
Ray Young

Re: Pannier users - a q on chainstay lengths

Post by Ray Young »

A few methods i've used in the past. You can use a bungee chord around the pannier to pull it away from your heel. Extend the top rails with some alloy tube by about two inches so the pannier can sit further back. On a 26 inch wheel use a 700c rack so it sits higher/further back but you might have to fit longer mounting brackets and it will tend to sway more. I broke several alloy racks off road touring then was given one made from mild steel, it weighed a ton but never broke.
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Hi Ray,
Check out the Tubus logo rack. Made from tubular steel it is both strong & light. ( it ain't cheap though ! )
I use this rack and the main thing i like about the logo is the pannier attaching bars are set a bit further back to give extra clearance. it's also nice to be able top strap something to the top of the rack between the panniers and still be able to remove the panniers easily due to the extra bars
Another good idea would be ortlieb back roller panniers. The clips allow you to some adjustment of how far back the pannier sits.
Mark
bobs

Post by bobs »

I use Tubus Logo with 20 ltr Ortliebs on a small Thorn Sterling. I have plenty of clearance as the panniers can be set well back.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

i bought an OMM rack after other disc specific ones would not fit on my bike
FLV

Post by FLV »

I dont own it anymore but I used to tour on a thorn Ripio.

Chainstay L = 450
Thorn Expedition Rack.
Ortleib Back Roller Plus Panniers 20L
http://www.ortlieb.co.uk/bike/rear-pann ... -plus.html
175mm Cranks
Size 45/46 Feet depending on shoes.

My feet were clear, but no more that 5mm if bulging full. I would have to ensure I used cycling shoes with a less aggressive heel part. I once rode in Inov8 trainers and the heel clipped without an additional compression strap on the panniers.
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

I've used normal and disk specific panniers on my Rockhopper - the chainstays are 426 mm long, according to a sizing chart. The normal rack I use is a Blackburn disk-specific EX1, with home-made connectors. I've used 20 and 30 lt 'Crosso' panniers, and only occasionally get heel clip with the 30 lt ones, and they're pretty huge (20/30 per pannier, not the pair).

I've had the big one packed full of groceries, when the bike is being used as a workhorse/commuter, and as long as I slide them to the back of the rack they're fine. It's certainly nice to have the option of adding a rack, should the need arise. Hope that helps.