Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Re: Veloviewer map - explorer tiles

Post by Chew »

FLV wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:36 am Sorry if I have failed to find it in the thread somewhere but,

Is there an iphone version or alternative to explorer helper?
You know, a live map position overlayed with tiles?
:geek:
Download our Cluster KML onto your desktop
Then go into google maps, click on the 3 lines in the top left > your places > maps > create map
Then import your VV KML file, and then give that map a name

Then open the google map app and tap 'saved' at the bottom
Then Maps and select the map you created above

That should give you everything you'll need :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Chew wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:49 pm Download our Cluster KML onto your desktop
I'd never noticed that the tiles could be exported. I thought I'd visited every tile possible to get on the Island but having opened the KML of my unexplored tiles in Google Earth there are 3 more it looks like I can get with a trip down the coast at low tide.

Even more exciting is that the missing tile down by Atherfield would take my max square up to 10x10. Thanks for the info on how to export the tiles :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
slarge

Post by slarge »

Brighstone was where I took my other half for our first holiday. It was my kit cars first trip as well!!

You need a packraft now Sean
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

slarge wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:34 am Brighstone was where I took my other half for our first holiday. It was my kit cars first trip as well!!
You know how to spoil a girl :grin:

I've worked out that if I ride to the end of Hurst Castle then I'd only need one square in the sea to be able to legitimately joint my max cluster to the Mainland.
slarge wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:34 am You need a packraft now Sean
I happen to own this

If I call the RNLI as I launch then they should be arriving just as I get to square I need :smile: You'll notice that on the rear of the right float there is a container, it contains an empty bottle painted red with a length of string attached and the other end fixed to the craft. It was a requirement for the competition we built the craft for, so if it sank the divers could locate it to recover it from the river. They brought the rule in as not all the entries were as well made as my Dad's :lol:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Any chance of chucking that on a lowloader/beavertail the next time you're coming up north Sean?

PJG and I (and presumably other NW-based Boners) have now run out of land on the western boundary of our squares:

I'm currently enlisting a Liverpool-based kayaker to take me out there but a comedy pedal-based drowning option seems much more fitting. :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

OK, here's a real VV ethics question - if you put in at Liverpool on a rising tide and ticked off the squares in the middle of the channel is that under your own power?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

In Reverse wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:34 am Any chance of chucking that on a lowloader/beavertail the next time you're coming up north Sean?
I think you might be over-estimating the size of it there :grin: With the floats taken off (they are fixed with wing-nuts) I moved it on the roof-rack on a swb land-rover.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:51 am I think you might be over-estimating the size of it there :grin: With the floats taken off (they are fixed with wing-nuts) I moved it on the roof-rack on a swb land-rover.
Is there no way of forgoing the Land Rover and fitting wheels to the actual vessel? Could be a lifelong ambition finally realised. :cool:

Existing 1x drivetrain would probably be fine, just need some 26" stuff out of the classifieds on here.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

whitestone wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:47 am OK, here's a real VV ethics question - if you put in at Liverpool on a rising tide and ticked off the squares in the middle of the channel is that under your own power?
Damn you Bob! :lol:

I'm saying it counts. No engines involved. Image
PJG

Post by PJG »

In Reverse wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:14 am
whitestone wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:47 am OK, here's a real VV ethics question - if you put in at Liverpool on a rising tide and ticked off the squares in the middle of the channel is that under your own power?
Damn you Bob! :lol:

I'm saying it counts. No engines involved. Image
For me, as long as you're padalling it counts. The rising tide would be ethically no different to a strong tail-wind ?
:smile:
PJG

Post by PJG »

A lovely hilly tandem ride from Sheffield this morning was the latest piece of the jigsaw - and it's got me to 54x54:

I can get to 55 with just 2 more rides, but after that it's back to the long haul of laying the groundwork for the next step up :-bd

Looks like the number one slot in the BearBones all-time square tickers list is now firmly out of my grasp though, as Jack Peterson has come storming through in the last few weeks, and is rapidly heading towards the top of the UK chart ?

UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Wow :shock:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Pete, not sure if it counts if you were on a tandem - I mean there's no evidence you did it under your own steam. Could have been the other rider doing all the work..... :lol:

That's pretty impressive though, but I think we need a major lifestyle change to get anywhere near Jack P
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Strong stuff Pete! :-bd

Going to have to pull my finger out again. :lol:
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

This chap is on 101x101

Looks like he’s ridden every road in London and most of the South East.

Good news for us though, looks like Porton Down has him stuck, we can catch him! :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:37 pm Looks like he’s ridden every road in London and most of the South East.
He's a dedicated tile hunter. Looking in detail at the Isle of Wight he's worked out how to get every tile* with the minimum of trips and distance covered. There's a lot more roads than that here but he's worked out how to go through the tiles with the minimum of duplication :-bd

He's even got the tile which is the MOD shooting range by going down the footpath in the adjacent tile as far as the beach and then going along the beach until he'd crossed into the tile he wanted.

*He's missed the 3 where you need to go along the beach on the south-west cost though, shall I message him to let him know, it would probably keep him awake at night once he knew :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:38 pm shall I message him
You've answered your own question there chap! Go on.... make his day..... in fact if you then rode straight over there he'd probably already be on the spot ticking it off!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:21 pm You've answered your own question there chap! Go on.... make his day..... in fact if you then rode straight over there he'd probably already be on the spot ticking it off!
I'm planning a run* along that section of beach next Monday so I'll wait until then when I'm 100% sure it will get 3 more tiles, besides, no need to spoil his weekend :grin:

* I could ride it but I'd have to strip and wash the bike down after getting sand/salt water on it and also if I get cut off by the tide it will be less embarrassing if on the tv pictures of me being winched off by the helicopter I'm hot clinging to a bike I refused to leave behind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:

So do you reckon he's on the level with all those squares then? I know that's a terrible thing to say!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:26 pm
RIP wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:21 pm I'm hot clinging to a bike I refused to leave behind.
Maybe but surely you’d be even more attractive without the desperation?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:33 pm :lol:

So do you reckon he's on the level with all those squares then? I know that's a terrible thing to say!
Aye I reckon so, it’s quite addictive once you get going.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

Fair enough, that was horribly cynical of me. Get a grip Reg.

How you doin' anyway HOTT? Alright?

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:33 pm So do you reckon he's on the level with all those squares then? I know that's a terrible thing to say!
Yeah, when I click on the individual activities they have tiles which include O xplr so I think he's properly hooked on it.
RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:36 pm
sean_iow wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:26 pm
RIP wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:21 pm I'm hot clinging to a bike I refused to leave behind.
Maybe but surely you’d be even more attractive without the desperation?
EH? I don't remember saying any of that! Have I been hacked?! :smile: (Even though yes of course "I'm hot"....)

Summink very wierd going on here. Let me just check what I'm drinking....

UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

There’s a German(?) chap on the same amount, has claimed squares in the middle of 2 lakes