USB outputs, USB-Werk and fault diagnosis - any electricians on here?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Wotsits

Re: USB outputs, USB-Werk and fault diagnosis - any electricians on here?

Post by Wotsits »

I'd fire up the hairdryer, got nowt to lose & could learn something that could help with a repair when out in the sticks 😃
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Wotsits wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:20 pm I'd fire up the hairdryer, got nowt to lose & could learn something that could help with a repair when out in the sticks 😃
I think I will eventually. The one thing stopping me (and making this more confusing) is that when I'd finished building the bike (B) I plugged a phone into the charger while in the stand and it showed some charge. I thought 'fine, all works' and went for a short ride to check the gears etc. After the next ride it wouldn't charge the garmin or phone. But the in/out measurements on V and A are the same for both units. So I have some hope it's not dead, just can figure out why it won't push charge through. If I open it up there's a good chance it'll not survive :) I've ordered a new one at not much over 2x the price of a spare cable kit and will see if some extended use gets charge into the potentially-duff unit.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:27 pm i did find a reddit thread that says if the internal battery dies the unit is dead
All batteries eventually die

https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycletouring ... r_usbwerk/
Thought so. Would be useful if you could pop it open and bypass the battery part of the circuit so it powers out into an external cache battery. An CR2023 cell at ~200mAh would be plenty but I think it'll need to be an AAA to buy a rechargeable.

Looking on the bright side my Brompton has a dyno light system, if this thing gets revived the commuter gets a new charger :-bd Always did like the idea of more extended Brompton travel.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What have the manufacturers said? We have spoken to them have we? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Wotsits wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:20 pm I'd fire up the hairdryer, got nowt to lose & could learn something that could help with a repair when out in the sticks 😃
I'm now having visions of Boners using dynamo powered hairdryers in the back of beyond! :lol:
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Landslide wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:27 am I'm now having visions of Boners using dynamo powered hairdryers in the back of beyond! :lol:
Karl likes to look his best & always carries a hairdryer! :lol:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

James I have one of those USB inline volt/amp readers not doing anything you can have if needs?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:21 am What have the manufacturers said? We have spoken to them have we? :wink:
No, we haven't - will try to get this into a concise Q, thought I'd try to remove all likely user stupidity from the situation first? :grin:
jameso

Post by jameso »

wriggles wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:56 am James I have one of those USB inline volt/amp readers not doing anything you can have if needs?
Very good of you, they're on ebay cheap but if you were passing a PO I'd swap for spares credits and thanks? :-bd
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

jameso wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:20 am
wriggles wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:56 am James I have one of those USB inline volt/amp readers not doing anything you can have if needs?
Very good of you, they're on ebay cheap but if you were passing a PO I'd swap for spares credits and thanks? :-bd
I dont need it & owe the forum some karma. Will pop in post later today. There is a switch loom that goes on an outfront mount I made up with a B&M socket, Revo plug and SP charging cable. I will throw that in as well. Might be useful/give ideas
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ you're a legend. Will happily pass on to anyone stumbling across this thread in future. Thanks very much.