Is a Fargo unique?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Re: Is a Fargo unique?

Post by FLV »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:01 am I always fancied one of these Shand drop bar Bahokies....

https://www.shandcycles.com/shop/bikes/ ... ff-dropbar

One day i’d live to run my Rohloff with a belt drive.
It had completely passed me by that the drop bar bahookie was different geo than the flat bar one.

Obviously that makes perfect sense
Scud

Post by Scud »

Having owned one of the early Fargo, now have a Singular Gryphon, much nicer for me, higher quality steel and much nicer comfy feel to ride, plus EBB if you did one to singlespeed it. Only issue is no mounts on forks. Seems to be a few Singular frames knocking about, or you can do similar with the Swift. Not ti i know, but very nice steel.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Scud wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 am Having owned one of the early Fargo, now have a Singular Gryphon, much nicer for me, higher quality steel and much nicer comfy feel to ride, plus EBB if you did one to singlespeed it. Only issue is no mounts on forks. Seems to be a few Singular frames knocking about, or you can do similar with the Swift. Not ti i know, but very nice steel.
Ti Gryphon would be lovely I suspect and there are a few pics of ones that have been produced by the latest iteration of Singular. I believe the early singular Ti frames were prone to manufacturing problems / "frequent" breakages. So much so that when I was looking at one another forum user warned me of their pretty grim experience. Not looking to malign them but seemed worthy of some caution.

Having only just got my (Mk1?) steel version working again I should probably just use that. Plus the new Singular set-up is peculiar (not that that is bad in itself). Also had a hard time with the Rooster via Kickstarter years ago, which FLV did too (IIRC). Emotionally / financially scarred :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:39 am Also had a hard time with the Rooster via Kickstarter years ago, which FLV did too (IIRC). Emotionally / financially scarred :lol:
Indeed..
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

FLV wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:53 am
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:39 am Also had a hard time with the Rooster via Kickstarter years ago, which FLV did too (IIRC). Emotionally / financially scarred :lol:
Indeed..

Yep that wait wasnt much fun was it? Neither was the 8 month wait whilst my Pegasus was being repaired. Strangely when I contacted the factory, Nevi, direct to find out wtf was happening it was repaired and on its way back within 3 days. :roll:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Scud wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 am Having owned one of the early Fargo, now have a Singular Gryphon, much nicer for me, higher quality steel and much nicer comfy feel to ride, plus EBB if you did one to singlespeed it. Only issue is no mounts on forks. Seems to be a few Singular frames knocking about, or you can do similar with the Swift. Not ti i know, but very nice steel.
Fargos were triple butted Sanko Cromo and Gryphons were unbranded double butted 4130. If the Gryphon rides lighter I expect it'll be down to a less heavy duty tubing as it's not an off road tourer.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Beware the mythology and hype around certain bike marques. If you read US websites the Fargo is a well loved capable bike that carries people over vast distances carrying everything needed. These versions are heavily modified and nothing like the ordinary punter can buy. Standard secondhand bikes change hands for a high premium and they have Fargo websites and fan clubs. See Guitar Ted.
I waited a long time for the right used Fargo in the right colour and was completely underwhelmed by it. Hated the long top tube. Couldn't get a short enough stem and the bars raised high enough. Hated riding on the hoods/drops/top of the bar. These things only became apparent after a couple of hours riding.
The two good bits were a WTB Pure saddle - no longer made and the SRAM 2x10 although changed the cassette to a Sunrace 11-42 10S.
I was going to stick a Jones Loop on it but that would have entailed changing brakes and shifters and once you go there it was why not XT 11S and maybe Di2?
I think I loved the idea of a Fargo but it just didn't work for me.
The long top tube was also a problem on a Krampus that I briefly owned.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

johnnystorm wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:00 pm
Fargos were triple butted Sanko Cromo and Gryphons were unbranded double butted 4130. If the Gryphon rides lighter I expect it'll be down to a less heavy duty tubing as it's not an off road tourer.
Correct. Sam admitted he designed the Gryphon to be ridden without luggage and that it would be a more springy ride than the Fargo, which was designed with slightly heavy duty tubing to ride well with luggage attached. Sam said the flip side of this is that the Gryphon might be a bit noodly with luggage on.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Mariner wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:52 am Beware the mythology and hype around certain bike marques. If you read US websites the Fargo is a well loved capable bike that carries people over vast distances carrying everything needed. These versions are heavily modified and nothing like the ordinary punter can buy
How so?

I must have got one of the secret ones that have been mysteriously modified.

Bought as a f&f on eBay for less than £400 which is admittedly steep for a second hand frame set.
5cm of spacers and a 30deg stem and the tops are higher than my saddle.

I also have a Krampus that I like...
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
jameso

Post by jameso »

The main supplier of tubes to the factory the Gryphon came from was also the maker of tubes labelled as Reynolds 520 and the TW-made 725. Probably more TW-made bikes using tubes from there than anywhere else. The frame factory also made bikes for QBP at that time, probably still do.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:01 pm
Mariner wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:52 am Beware the mythology and hype around certain bike marques. If you read US websites the Fargo is a well loved capable bike that carries people over vast distances carrying everything needed. These versions are heavily modified and nothing like the ordinary punter can buy
How so?
Sorry clumsy attempt to say the TD 'rigs' are not stock.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Dave I have to say I love my ti Fargo, it is a mountain bike but does a great job as a monster cross type tourer too.
Mine is set up for my dodgy neck so probably wouldn't be the position most would opt for - but I think Paul G in hathersage has one . . . For when meeting up is allowed again.
Shona and rich built mine, so may also be worth a look to see if they have one in stock to try for size.
vleapgate

Post by vleapgate »

I haven’t had mine for long, and I don’t know about unique but I have been impressed with the versatility of it. Second ride out was a 50/50 road/off-road loop of about 80km and I haven’t had anything which I would have rather done that sort of ride on.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

vleapgate wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:56 pm I haven’t had mine for long, and I don’t know about unique but I have been impressed with the versatility of it. Second ride out was a 50/50 road/off-road loop of about 80km and I haven’t had anything which I would have rather done that sort of ride on.
Lovely build!
FLV

Post by FLV »

adjustablewench wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:36 pm Dave I have to say I love my ti Fargo, it is a mountain bike but does a great job as a monster cross type tourer too.
Mine is set up for my dodgy neck so probably wouldn't be the position most would opt for - but I think Paul G in hathersage has one . . . For when meeting up is allowed again.
Shona and rich built mine, so may also be worth a look to see if they have one in stock to try for size.
Interesting you say that, its a consistently dodgy neck that leads me to look at Fargo's in the first place.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Maybe we need to resurrect the Monday night rides for a social distance so you can judge.
FLV

Post by FLV »

We already did if you fancy it

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17323

Next Monday location tbc
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

This looks like an alternative
https://bikepacking.com/news/kona-sutra-ultd/
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, I saw the new Sutra too. Might be one for the "money no object" thread. I can't possibly justify one but I'd still like one. I had an early Sutra and it really expanded what cycling was to me. Toured, "raced", commuted, took it off-road. Amazingly versatile and, apparently, way ahead of its time.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Not sure about the new one’s, they appear to be roughly in the same price range as the Fargo. Not that Salsa’s are a bargain!

As much as I’d like a Ti Fargo I’ll go custom if I want Ti, that way I could have a taller headtube and tweak the triangle for a larger bag plus a few extra mounts and maybe a T47 BB, internal wire run for a dynamo rear light
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark