Welsh coast to coast

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Al

Welsh coast to coast

Post by Al »

I’m after a gpx file for the welsh coast to coast route for some arm chair planning.
I know there are several versions; is the consensus the one put together by Ian is the best of the bunch??
mattpage

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by mattpage »

Al wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:53 pm I’m after a gpx file for the welsh coast to coast route for some arm chair planning.
I know there are several versions; is the consensus the one put together by Ian is the best of the bunch??
How long do you want to be out for? What % of off-road and how technical?
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

I put this one together and did it on a Gravel bike. It was via b&b's so would need tweeting a bit, we did it over 5d/4n

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8872182
Never knowingly under biked...
slarge

Post by slarge »

I seem to have a few WC2C routes, from ones based on recommended routes (Sarn Helen etc) to the Cambrian Trail that Ian B put together.

The shortest is around 400km, and the Cambrian Trail is 500km, and quite hard.

I'll send a few over if you give me your email address (via PM or on here).

The biggest challenge however seems to be the logistics - to get from Swansea to Llandudno via train is 5 - 6 hours with at least 1 change. There doesn't appear to be a fast and cheap option. I have toyed with the idea of 2 trains (to the start and home from the finish) but that seems expensive and time consuming, plus also at the end of a few days riding you might just want a change of clothes and a wipe down with a damp cloth, which unless you carry it will have to wait (unless you decide a B&B is in order and have posted stuff ahead!)
Al

Post by Al »

slarge wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:28 am I seem to have a few WC2C routes, from ones based on recommended routes (Sarn Helen etc) to the Cambrian Trail that Ian B put together.

The shortest is around 400km, and the Cambrian Trail is 500km, and quite hard.

I'll send a few over if you give me your email address (via PM or on here).

The biggest challenge however seems to be the logistics - to get from Swansea to Llandudno via train is 5 - 6 hours with at least 1 change. There doesn't appear to be a fast and cheap option. I have toyed with the idea of 2 trains (to the start and home from the finish) but that seems expensive and time consuming, plus also at the end of a few days riding you might just want a change of clothes and a wipe down with a damp cloth, which unless you carry it will have to wait (unless you decide a B&B is in order and have posted stuff ahead!)
Thanks Steve - it’s Ian’s one I’d heard good things about but would be interested to compare it to others.
Will PM and email address

Logistics wise I’m Shropshire based so reasonably central between start and finish - any wisdom about which direction to travel beyond the obvious about prevailing winds? (I can never get the idea south is down hill out of my head, which is appalling as a geography teacher!).
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

At least you’re aware of North and South which is more than my geography teacher could manage :lol:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
slarge

Post by slarge »

Most (all) rides I have seen start from Great Orme's head or Carnearvon and finish on the Gower or Cardiff, and I think a fair few trails ride better in that direction, but there's nothing preventing a South to North ride
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Shall I send you the Offa's Byke gpx Al? It's N - S but a bit different.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

mattpage wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 am
Al wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:53 pm I’m after a gpx file for the welsh coast to coast route for some arm chair planning.
Hey Matt, have you still got the route from north to south you did in a crazy short amount of time :lol: ,
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 pm Shall I send you the Offa's Byke gpx Al? It's N - S but a bit different.

Yes please.. :-bd
Al

Post by Al »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 pm Shall I send you the Offa's Byke gpx Al? It's N - S but a bit different.
Yes please stu - sounds like it might go past the house!
Al

Post by Al »

mattpage wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 am
Haven’t decided yet - was going to have a look at the route and see what takes my fancy. Technical is ok, going to most likely be riding a rigid 29er not a gravel bike, so anything is possible in theory - mind you I’m not after a dot to dot collect all the welsh tussocks ride....
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Teetosugars wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:41 pm

Yes please.. :-bd
And another here please
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Regarding logistics, when I rode Ian's coast to coast I parked at Shrewsbury which enables you to get to llandudno and back from Swansea without changing.
It also allows you to bail in the middle if the weather turns to crap like it did when we recced the route :wink:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
slarge

Post by slarge »

Al, have a look at the Big Bear530 also - Stu has the route. Now that is a cracking ride that is circular. 530km is doable in 3 days or so if you put your mind to it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

3 days! Depends if u wanna enjoy it :lol:
I also have a wc2c that some lads did from mbr i think? Which took on the trail centres also which looks a good one.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Al wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:34 pm Haven’t decided yet - was going to have a look at the route and see what takes my fancy. Technical is ok, going to most likely be riding a rigid 29er not a gravel bike, so anything is possible in theory - mind you I’m not after a dot to dot collect all the welsh tussocks ride....
Good route for 3 days would be from Conwy to Mumbles/Gower.
Llyn Cowlyd > Gwydyr > Penmachno > Coed y Brenin > Nant y Arian > Cambrian Mountains > Brecon Beacons > Afan.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Matt, your route suggestion, has it been ridden i seem to recall a route very similair somewhere in the archives :smile:
If not you should put it together :lol:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Al, pm me your email and ill send u a gpx iv just found for an alternate wc2c some welsh lads did i got talking to at Coed y few yrs ago
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Matt, your route suggestion, has it been ridden i seem to recall a route very similair somewhere in the archives :smile:
If not you should put it together
Rough Ride Guide is ringing bells?
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Mike wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:39 am Matt, your route suggestion, has it been ridden i seem to recall a route very similair somewhere in the archives :smile:
If not you should put it together :lol:
Yes, but not as a single day or 3 day. I will check and see if I still have the GPX files.

Think it was over 5 days, more leisurely pace and have another route, but less technical. Cycle path from Caernarfon to Coed y Brenin, few trails there, Dyfi, Nant yr Arian then Cambrian Mountains and over Epynt to Brecon and Route 8 from there back.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:58 am
If not you should put it together
Rough Ride Guide is ringing bells?
Seem to remember something of them using a route I had put together, although can't remember the specifics.
Another route is what Tom Wragg & Joe Norledge did for Bikeradar:
https://www.bikeradar.com/features/346k ... -go-wrong/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Here we go. Looks very much like a zigzag between trail centres.

https://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Welsh- ... -and-guide