Welsh coast to coast

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Post Reply
Al
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:53 pm

Welsh coast to coast

Post by Al » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:53 pm

I’m after a gpx file for the welsh coast to coast route for some arm chair planning.
I know there are several versions; is the consensus the one put together by Ian is the best of the bunch??

mattpage
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:35 am

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by mattpage » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 am

Al wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:53 pm
I’m after a gpx file for the welsh coast to coast route for some arm chair planning.
I know there are several versions; is the consensus the one put together by Ian is the best of the bunch??
How long do you want to be out for? What % of off-road and how technical?

User avatar
Rich3rd
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:03 am
Location: Chilterns

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by Rich3rd » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:22 am

I put this one together and did it on a Gravel bike. It was via b&b's so would need tweeting a bit, we did it over 5d/4n

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8872182
Never knowingly under biked...

slarge
Posts: 1865
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: MTB mecca (Warwickshire)

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by slarge » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:28 am

I seem to have a few WC2C routes, from ones based on recommended routes (Sarn Helen etc) to the Cambrian Trail that Ian B put together.

The shortest is around 400km, and the Cambrian Trail is 500km, and quite hard.

I'll send a few over if you give me your email address (via PM or on here).

The biggest challenge however seems to be the logistics - to get from Swansea to Llandudno via train is 5 - 6 hours with at least 1 change. There doesn't appear to be a fast and cheap option. I have toyed with the idea of 2 trains (to the start and home from the finish) but that seems expensive and time consuming, plus also at the end of a few days riding you might just want a change of clothes and a wipe down with a damp cloth, which unless you carry it will have to wait (unless you decide a B&B is in order and have posted stuff ahead!)

Al
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:53 pm

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by Al » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:32 pm

slarge wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:28 am
I seem to have a few WC2C routes, from ones based on recommended routes (Sarn Helen etc) to the Cambrian Trail that Ian B put together.

The shortest is around 400km, and the Cambrian Trail is 500km, and quite hard.

I'll send a few over if you give me your email address (via PM or on here).

The biggest challenge however seems to be the logistics - to get from Swansea to Llandudno via train is 5 - 6 hours with at least 1 change. There doesn't appear to be a fast and cheap option. I have toyed with the idea of 2 trains (to the start and home from the finish) but that seems expensive and time consuming, plus also at the end of a few days riding you might just want a change of clothes and a wipe down with a damp cloth, which unless you carry it will have to wait (unless you decide a B&B is in order and have posted stuff ahead!)
Thanks Steve - it’s Ian’s one I’d heard good things about but would be interested to compare it to others.
Will PM and email address

Logistics wise I’m Shropshire based so reasonably central between start and finish - any wisdom about which direction to travel beyond the obvious about prevailing winds? (I can never get the idea south is down hill out of my head, which is appalling as a geography teacher!).
.

lune ranger
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:52 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Devon

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by lune ranger » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:59 pm

At least you’re aware of North and South which is more than my geography teacher could manage :lol:

slarge
Posts: 1865
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: MTB mecca (Warwickshire)

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by slarge » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:15 pm

Most (all) rides I have seen start from Great Orme's head or Carnearvon and finish on the Gower or Cardiff, and I think a fair few trails ride better in that direction, but there's nothing preventing a South to North ride

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 18734
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 pm

Shall I send you the Offa's Byke gpx Al? It's N - S but a bit different.
#corporate shill for hire

Leerowe76
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:41 pm
Location: Little Beruit

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by Leerowe76 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:26 pm

mattpage wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 am
Al wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:53 pm
I’m after a gpx file for the welsh coast to coast route for some arm chair planning.
I know there are several versions; is the consensus the one put together by Ian is the best of the bunch??
How long do you want to be out for? What % of off-road and how technical?
Hey Matt, have you still got the route from north to south you did in a crazy short amount of time :lol: ,
Living on dreams and custard creams :-bd

Teetosugars
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:53 pm
Location: Cheshire

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by Teetosugars » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:41 pm

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 pm
Shall I send you the Offa's Byke gpx Al? It's N - S but a bit different.

Yes please.. :-bd

Al
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:53 pm

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by Al » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:28 pm

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 pm
Shall I send you the Offa's Byke gpx Al? It's N - S but a bit different.
Yes please stu - sounds like it might go past the house!

Al
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:53 pm

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by Al » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:34 pm

mattpage wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 am
Al wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:53 pm
I’m after a gpx file for the welsh coast to coast route for some arm chair planning.
I know there are several versions; is the consensus the one put together by Ian is the best of the bunch??
How long do you want to be out for? What % of off-road and how technical?
Haven’t decided yet - was going to have a look at the route and see what takes my fancy. Technical is ok, going to most likely be riding a rigid 29er not a gravel bike, so anything is possible in theory - mind you I’m not after a dot to dot collect all the welsh tussocks ride....

User avatar
UnderTheRadars
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:12 pm
Location: Stourbridge/North Col of North Worcestershire Alps

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by UnderTheRadars » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:45 pm

Teetosugars wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:41 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 pm
Shall I send you the Offa's Byke gpx Al? It's N - S but a bit different.

Yes please.. :-bd
And another here please
Image

User avatar
Chicken Legs
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:49 am
Location: Mid Essex

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by Chicken Legs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:14 pm

Regarding logistics, when I rode Ian's coast to coast I parked at Shrewsbury which enables you to get to llandudno and back from Swansea without changing.
It also allows you to bail in the middle if the weather turns to crap like it did when we recced the route :wink:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"

slarge
Posts: 1865
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: MTB mecca (Warwickshire)

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by slarge » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 pm

Al, have a look at the Big Bear530 also - Stu has the route. Now that is a cracking ride that is circular. 530km is doable in 3 days or so if you put your mind to it.

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 2831
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by Mike » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:00 am

3 days! Depends if u wanna enjoy it :lol:
I also have a wc2c that some lads did from mbr i think? Which took on the trail centres also which looks a good one.

mattpage
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:35 am

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by mattpage » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:56 am

Al wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:34 pm
Haven’t decided yet - was going to have a look at the route and see what takes my fancy. Technical is ok, going to most likely be riding a rigid 29er not a gravel bike, so anything is possible in theory - mind you I’m not after a dot to dot collect all the welsh tussocks ride....
Good route for 3 days would be from Conwy to Mumbles/Gower.
Llyn Cowlyd > Gwydyr > Penmachno > Coed y Brenin > Nant y Arian > Cambrian Mountains > Brecon Beacons > Afan.

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 2831
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by Mike » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:39 am

Matt, your route suggestion, has it been ridden i seem to recall a route very similair somewhere in the archives :smile:
If not you should put it together :lol:

User avatar
Mike
Posts: 2831
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by Mike » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:48 am

Al, pm me your email and ill send u a gpx iv just found for an alternate wc2c some welsh lads did i got talking to at Coed y few yrs ago

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 18734
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:58 am

Matt, your route suggestion, has it been ridden i seem to recall a route very similair somewhere in the archives :smile:
If not you should put it together
Rough Ride Guide is ringing bells?
#corporate shill for hire

mattpage
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:35 am

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by mattpage » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:00 am

Mike wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:39 am
Matt, your route suggestion, has it been ridden i seem to recall a route very similair somewhere in the archives :smile:
If not you should put it together :lol:
Yes, but not as a single day or 3 day. I will check and see if I still have the GPX files.

Think it was over 5 days, more leisurely pace and have another route, but less technical. Cycle path from Caernarfon to Coed y Brenin, few trails there, Dyfi, Nant yr Arian then Cambrian Mountains and over Epynt to Brecon and Route 8 from there back.

mattpage
Posts: 123
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:35 am

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by mattpage » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:02 am

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:58 am
Matt, your route suggestion, has it been ridden i seem to recall a route very similair somewhere in the archives :smile:
If not you should put it together
Rough Ride Guide is ringing bells?
Seem to remember something of them using a route I had put together, although can't remember the specifics.
Another route is what Tom Wragg & Joe Norledge did for Bikeradar:
https://www.bikeradar.com/features/346k ... -go-wrong/

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 18734
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Welsh coast to coast

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:05 am

Here we go. Looks very much like a zigzag between trail centres.

https://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/Welsh- ... -and-guide
#corporate shill for hire

Post Reply