Bivi boots

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Judderman

Bivi boots

Post by Judderman »

What do you guys where around your camp that’s lightweight but maybe warmer than flip flops?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bivi boots

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Usually I don't take anything as the amount of time at camp is pretty limited. If I know it'll be cold and I'll be in a bothy or similar then I might take some down filled shoes (Nordisk do decent priced ones) but they're obviously not much good if you're walking round in wet grass etc. In those cases, I might take some neoprene beach shoes ... they're not as warm but they do the trick.
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Sometimes I'll take some ultra lightweight "trainers" I got cheap from Hi-Tec a few years ago, but most of the time I'll rely on my Sealskinz for night-time toilet trips. Wearing them, that is, just to clarify :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

My riding shoes are ok for walking in despite being SPD. I just wear them. I take dry socks to sleep in and some small plastic bags, If I'm going to be mooching around camp for a while and my feet are wet and cold I'll put my dry socks on with the plastic bags over the top, that way I can put my shoes back on without getting my socks wet. Also handy for getting up in the night as I can put my shoes on and keep the socks dry.

It's not very often I arrive at camp early enough to need to do this. I will stop for dinner on a ride then continue riding to cover as much distance as I can in the day and/or to arrive late at my bivi spot.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Those neoprene beach shoes.
Also used for wading across rivers - in theory.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Cumulus down booties for when it is proper cold.

http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu/uk/categ ... =176&vid=1.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i saw these yesterday anyone tried them ?
80 g for a "shoe" doubt its that warm but might be useful fo river crossings

https://skinners.cc/en/

Skinners Minimalist Barefoot Sock Shoes-
i doub there is anything lighter than it is but clearly its a compromise [never tried but tempted but expensive for a punt]
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I really like the look of those Skinners thingies ... looks like they'd be good to sleep in as well, thus negating the tussle and calf cramps as I try to get my shoes back on for a 2am pee. Or indeed the morning squat (sorry ... very sorry) But £50 :shock:

Still, very tempted ...
I'm just going outside ...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinners-Athle ... th=1&psc=1

I just saved you £20 if a large fit now be a good chap and post up a review for me quick sharp before they sell out :-bd

Even £30 seems a lot for something that might be utter bobbins - I doubt they keep you warm in anything but summer [ though you can wear socks under them for added warmth
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I just saved you £20 if a large fit now be a good chap and post up a review for me quick sharp before they sell out :-bd
Done. I’m an XXL which I found for mere £39 ... 😬 Using my daughters logic, I’ve saved £11 or so by spending £39. Seriously, she once found a pair of trainers I’d agreed to get her for £20 less than I was going to spend and without a hint of irony suggested I might give her the difference. Pfffft.
I'm just going outside ...
Al

Post by Al »

I’m sure I saw a you tube clip once where they made something like this by applying something like rubber spray paint to a sock. It sounds ridiculous now I’m describing it but I’ll try and find it...
Last edited by Al on Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Al

Post by Al »

Al wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:10 am I’m sure I saw a you tube clip once where they made something like this by applying something like rubber spray paint to a sock. It sounds ridiculous now I’m describing it but I’ll try and find it...
Here we go, I’m not going mad I did see it:

https://youtu.be/WRCXy_UHPVc
Last edited by Al on Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

The skinners are very average.
If you sleep in them, expect the bottom of your sleeping bag to be full of rubber crumble in the morning.
Not particularly warm either.
I got mine via kickstarter and paid ~£25
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I guess what we really want are socks that are like the warm insulated cheap gloves you can get screwfix

That coating is very robust and very water resistant
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

There used to be a company in Glasgow that made (or sold) 'Bothy Boots'... like really thin, roll up, calf length wellies that were packable and lightweight. Made more for slipping over socks in camp or nipping out of the bothy, so not super hardwearing... can't find them anymore or much very similar.... Shame as I'd use them for rafting too if I could find them again.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Al

Post by Al »

benp1 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:13 am I guess what we really want are socks that are like the warm insulated cheap gloves you can get screwfix

That coating is very robust and very water resistant
I think that’s what the guy in the you tube clip basically makes with the rubber spray paint. No reason you’d have to use the weird finger toe socks. You could spray it onto a pair of old walking socks for example. I had a quick look and the spray cans are a tenner a go on line.
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Vivobarefoot Ultra Eva shoes with the inner taken out are stupid light (way lighter than crocs even) and roll up small (although I reckon if you do this too much, they might eventually break). If its a bit cold, I wear some SealSkins under them. Works well, and been used on my biking and hiking trips since 2014. Still going, if rather worn now (and with a big dollup of evostick impact where I tried a "different" method of splitting firewood....)
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I use some merino socks and £6 decathlon swim shoes, about as light and packable as can be
RIP

Post by RIP »

Chrisps wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:34 pm Vivobarefoot Ultra Eva shoes
Interesting thanks. Just looking at their site - £100, phew. But recycled/vegan/biomass/sustainable/blah so credentials look nice and impressive. And the designs are unusual too. :-bd
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

How can you not like this: :smile:

"The Esc Tempest is the first style in our Extreme Survival Collection, and we think it's the best Swim Run shoe on the planet. Inspired by aquatic organisms, and made with modern technology, it offers great flexibility, drainage and protection, as well as a sole developed in collaboration with Michelin, for super grip. For amphibious athletes who love to run trails and swim the open water."

Aquatic organisms. I fancy being an Extreme Survivalist. Sounds raw.

"100 day trial to all orders. If you change your mind within that period, we're happy for you to return your shoes for a full refund with no hassle." Blimey, that's confidence. Everyone who's doing WRT and BB200 should order a pair, then send 'em back afterwards saying they weren't extreme enough. Nah, only jokin'. We're not that cruel. I'm quite tempted with some actually.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

You've set me off now. What about these below. Normally £39, sale £24. ("for the next 6 hours 56 minutes" :wink: ) .

https://www.shock-cart.co.uk/products/b ... 7kEALw_wcB

lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’m sitting in the bell tent that’s been my home for the last 104 days wearing these...

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ties-p4765

Primaloft and Pertex Quantum, less than 90g and a tiny package for packing. I bought them for use for my BAM trips over winter and they really are toasty despite being so diminutive.

They’ve been making for very handy slippers during my tent dwelling experience as well.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Things used to be much simpler.

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Subway bags are also good as waterproof socks!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Subway bags are also good as waterproof socks!
Yeah but that involves eating the sh1t first :wink: