Is a Fargo unique?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Is a Fargo unique?

Post by FLV »

Well, firstly... I know it’s not really the only one of its kind.

The Fargo geo is very different from most gravel bikes, dare I suggest a little more tour orientated.
Very high stack compared to a lot of bikes, about 80-90mm higher, sometimes more.

I’ve spent ages looking at other bikes and frames, there’s the odd one that’s similar such as a chiru kegety.

What else is out there that I’ve failed to find?

I know I know... I’m looking bikes like a Fargo, why not look at the Fargo...
Basically, I kind of want a ti one but may not be willing to pay for a ti one :grin:

So why not waste some time on the internet in the mean time
ScotRoutes

Re: Is a Fargo unique?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Go custom Ti. It'll be cheaper than Salsa and you can tweak it to your requirements.

As I've said before, my "gravel" bike is my tourer.
BenS

Post by BenS »

Try talking to waltly frames, when I was thinking about this they implied that they could copy the geometry. There are a lot of good things written about them in the web and I believe they make the Alpkit Ti frames
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Crust bikes do some unusual bikes if you're looking for ideas.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

+1 for Waltly, very easy to deal with but go for Sliding drop outs (Like the Broken Road mk2) not rocker drop outs (Like the Broken Road mk1)which slip too easily.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I’ll have a look at waltly, but I’m not filled with confidence on that front.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

FLV wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:30 am I’ll have a look at waltly, but I’m not filled with confidence on that front.
Or go to Sonder and ask for a custom Broken Road with 5cm taken off the reach and 5cm added to the stack height* to make it suitable for drop bars. The Sonders are made by Waltly I believe.

I think what makes the Fargo quite unique is thats its not really a Gravel Bike, its a Mountain bike designed for big rubber and front suspension if needed that is also designed for drop bars.

*something like that :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Genesis Vagabond? Steel but much cheaper than a Fargo and very similar to the 2012-15 ones before they went plus.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Why not go custom ti with the same people that Colin had his ti frame built from. I forget rhe name but prices seem really good and youre getting russian aero grade welders building your frame (as far as I remember reading somewhere)...
redefined_cycles

The Sonders are made by Waltly I believe
Is this true foe the carbon ones aswel?? Might explain why my carbon transmitter rides so nice. Managed to almost keep up with a fs 160mm travel Mondraker the other day with just 140mm forks up front...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

walty only do titanium as far as i can tell from their website and online shop
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:05 pm walty only do titanium as far as i can tell from their website and online shop
Correct.

Vagabond tyre width is limited and doesnt have the Alternator drop outs
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

As a (steel) Fargo rider i’d like to say that it’s not a gravel bike. It’s a mountain bike that happens to have geo for drop bars.
It’s got far more in common with the XC/adventure MTB’s of the late 90’s than a modern gravel bike.
I’ve used mine for all the stuff I used to use my Marzocchi Bomber equipped Orange P7.
It’s not a long and low trail centre bike obviously but perfectly capable of riding any natural trails the UK has to offer.
If you want a fast riding gravel bike for a high percentage of road and smooth gravel then look elsewhere. If you want an MTB that rides very well on road and is hugely versatile then a Fargo or Fargo copy would suit you well.
Steel frames come up on eBay pretty regularly. I got mine for £350 in good order, it’s a pretty heavy bike which is it’s only bad point. If money was no object i’d have a Ti Fargo in a heartbeat.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Stooge?
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Fargoist

Post by Fargoist »

lune ranger wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:46 pm As a (steel) Fargo rider i’d like to say that it’s not a gravel bike. It’s a mountain bike that happens to have geo for drop bars.
It’s got far more in common with the XC/adventure MTB’s of the late 90’s than a modern gravel bike.
I’ve used mine for all the stuff I used to use my Marzocchi Bomber equipped Orange P7.
It’s not a long and low trail centre bike obviously but perfectly capable of riding any natural trails the UK has to offer.
If you want a fast riding gravel bike for a high percentage of road and smooth gravel then look elsewhere. If you want an MTB that rides very well on road and is hugely versatile then a Fargo or Fargo copy would suit you well.
Steel frames come up on eBay pretty regularly. I got mine for £350 in good order, it’s a pretty heavy bike which is it’s only bad point. If money was no object i’d have a Ti Fargo in a heartbeat.
Agreed. I've taken my Fargo with dropped bars on down trails that I would'nt ride on my CdF.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Thanks all.
I think I’d best have a test ride on a Fargo.
Fargoist

Post by Fargoist »

FLV wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:45 pm Thanks all.
I think I’d best have a test ride on a Fargo.
If you can try one with jones loops on aswel.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

If you’re anywhere near Oxfordshire your welcome to a spin on mine. I’ve fitted it with a pair of Fox forks and ultra wide drops which makes to even more capable, absolutely love the bike and would like similar in Titanium. As others have pointed out it’s very much a MTB with clearance for up to 3” tyres, I’ve owned mine for a few years now and still marvel at its sheer all round ability.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bedmaker

Post by Bedmaker »

I had a gravel/off-road tourer built by Waltly at the start of the year. My third frame from them.
They are great to deal with, and you get exactly what you want.
I've put lots of miles on mine over lockdown, in SS and Rohloff modes, and I absolutely love it. It is exactly what I was after.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16757
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I like the idea of a Fargo too. But the only thing that slightly puts me off is the Alternator dropouts. It seems to make fitting a rack harder unless you use the Salsa racks. And they look like they may creak!

If someone knows differently I'd be interested to know.

One similar bike with reasonable tyre clearance seems to be the Cinelli Hobootleg Geo https://cinelli.it/en/prodotti/hobootleg-geo-en/ but no one seems to comment much on them and I've never seen one!
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:05 pm walty only do titanium as far as i can tell from their website and online shop
Aha... Thanks Jon. Mine must've been build elsewhere then. Almost 2 years with it which is bordering on a record for me...
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Hamish wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:40 pm I like the idea of a Fargo too. But the only thing that slightly puts me off is the Alternator dropouts. It seems to make fitting a rack harder unless you use the Salsa racks. And they look like they may creak!

If someone knows differently I'd be interested to know.

One similar bike with reasonable tyre clearance seems to be the Cinelli Hobootleg Geo https://cinelli.it/en/prodotti/hobootleg-geo-en/ but no one seems to comment much on them and I've never seen one!
I have had 4 Salsas with Alternator drop outs; 2 Mukluks, 1 El Mariachi and a Fargo. Never had an issue with any of them. All rock solid and one of the better tensioning systems and a get out jail card if lose rear mech on a big ride.

Didnt realise the Hobootleg did 29 x 3" tyres. Shame the head angle is so steep. There was also the Willier Jaroon Plus, but seem to remember it had a crappy low headtube and have never seen one for sale except a 2nd hand one that was imported.
techno

Post by techno »

I've no experience of any of these bikes but This popped into my mem while reading this thread:
https://www.smokestonebikes.co.uk/mr-harry

Like mariner said, Stooge? They do custom options on their ti frames:
http://stoogecycles.co.uk/stooge-shop/

And finally, You're probably aware of this list, but just in case you aren't: https://bikepacking.com/index/drop-bar- ... ikes-29er/
(Mone do custom too I think if you want something really weird :-bd )
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I always fancied one of these Shand drop bar Bahokies....

https://www.shandcycles.com/shop/bikes/ ... ff-dropbar

One day i’d live to run my Rohloff with a belt drive.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC