When?????

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

stevewaters

Re: When?????

Post by stevewaters »

It is surprising about Scotland lagging because they seem to have a very low rate of deaths and presumably infections.
Although perhaps that is in part because they have been more cautious regarding a relaxation of "lockdown".
I am keen to attempt the Cairngorms Loop 300 in late July/August, soon so fingers crossed !
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

stevewaters wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:12 pm It is surprising about Scotland lagging because they seem to have a very low rate of deaths and presumably infections.
Although perhaps that is in part because they have been more cautious regarding a relaxation of "lockdown".
The "conservative" approach being taken is designed to get the infection rate down to a very low and manageable level as quickly as possible. That way, flare-ups can hopefully be contained locally and near normality resumed as soon as possible. Of course, all efforts will be for nought if there is a mass exodus from England.

(IIRC the deaths per head rate in England is now running at 4 times that in Scotland.)
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

My neighbours now have their family up from London. That's the daughter, her husband and two kids up to visit the grandparents in the west of Scotland.

This is a joke now. It's ignored, flaunted and the daily update is a party political broadcast. We can't go more than 5 miles to exercise but schools will be fully open with no social distancing in 7 weeks?

Joke.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Once we left the "stay at home except for medical emergencies, getting food and your one exercise a day" state then it's all been made up on the fly in reaction to whatever bleating the government hears will make them popular.

To quote my neighbour (retired GP): this has shown us to be a country of wankers led by wankers.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
gairym

Post by gairym »

whitestone wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:22 pmTo quote my neighbour (retired GP): this has shown us to be a country of wankers led by wankers.
Might just be the perfect statement about the whole plague shenanigans :-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Jurassic wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:02 pm I'm reassured, frustrated and alarmed by the slower pace that our (Scottish) devolved government are taking compared to England..
Reassured because essentially nothing has changed and Corona virus is still as dangerous as ever, frustrated because I'll have to wait longer than you lot darn sarf to be able to get out and do the things that I want to do again and alarmed because Scotland is so reliant on tourism and hospitality and delaying reopening things is going to be catastrophic for jobs and the economy.
I feel pretty much the same - very glad the Scottish govt is taking a more sensible approach but it's hard to wait, especially when the sort of activity I want to participate in could be done safely now. I just know though that once overnight camping is allowed again it will open the floodgates for muppets behaving irresponsibly so I accept the more cautious approach up here. I am fortunate enough to live within cycling distance of the English border though, so have already started to plan a trip south on the 4th of July for an overnight bivvy.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

5 mile limit in Scotland to be removed on 3rd July.

Self-contained accommodation (no shared services) also allowed from that date.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:08 pm 5 mile limit in Scotland to be removed on 3rd July.

Have you got a link to that? I didn't hear the press conference today and I can't find it online now.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Eh? So now you've leapfrogged us by 4 days? Maybe it'll be us coming that way for four days, rather than Borderer coming our way? [ sorry B, just crossed with you there]
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

RIP wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:21 pm Eh? So now you've leapfrogged us by 4 days? Maybe it'll be us coming that way for four days, rather than Borderer coming our way? [ sorry B, just crossed with you there]
I guess we would be ok if we departed on the 3rd and didn't put up the tent til after midnight....
forecast is grim for that weekend though
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

OK I have found it now.... photo below for info.

restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

So does that mean July 3rd wild camping is ok (Scotland)? No travel restrictions and no shared facilities I can't see why not.

Though it's a farce with other stuff I see going on anyway...
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

restlessshawn wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:26 pm So does that mean July 3rd wild camping is ok (Scotland)?
That's how I've read it (if also maintaining distancing and hygiene measures)
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:08 pm 5 mile limit in Scotland to be removed on 3rd July.

Mixed messages again from the politicians. Yesterday Sturgeon was telling us not to travel outwith our local area for holidays and now it's going to be open house from 3rd July? If hordes of infected tourists cross from the plague ridden south our careful exit from lockdown will have been for nothing (no offence to our plague ridden brethren from south of the border inteded but you get my point?) It's all very confusing and unclear. :???:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53154138
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Surely the rules are the rules until the rules change, then it's the new rules. Isn't that always how it works?
RIP

Post by RIP »

All very confusing, as per. So between the 3rd and 7th (when us Sassies get let loose on campsites) we can nip over the border for a preview as it were. We obviously don't have the 5-mile limit, so we can approach the border at minimum. Then unless Nicola specifically prevents us crossing, we can then come in after knocking politely?

With no disrespect, I'm not actually going to do this, but am holding out for Wales. No intention of driving, so will check nearer the time that Avanti/TfW trains allow BaM as "essential travel". They better had - it's no different than being on a plane or in a pub. Probably better, given the train aircon.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Jurassic wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:41 pm If hordes of infected tourists cross from the plague ridden south our careful exit from lockdown will have been for nothing (no offence to our plague ridden brethren from south of the border inteded but you get my point?)
I've got the same issue if hordes of infected tourists come over from the north to my little off-shore Island. Perhaps we can sell off England, maybe to the Middle East - they seem keen to buy such things. We can then get rid of the problematic bit in the middle and tow the Isle of Wight* north and park just off the old Scottish border which will now be the south coast of Scotland :-bd

* I remember the local itv news one April 1st when they had a feature on how the Island was drifting away from the mainland and was going to be towed back into place, as a gullible young boy I was taken in by it :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:52 pm Surely the rules are the rules until the rules change, then it's the new rules. Isn't that always how it works?
Mm... apart from the special cases in the old rules and the special exemptions in the new rules :wink:

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:53 pm
Jurassic wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:41 pm If hordes of infected tourists cross from the plague ridden south our careful exit from lockdown will have been for nothing (no offence to our plague ridden brethren from south of the border inteded but you get my point?)
I've got the same issue if hordes of infected tourists come over from the north to my little off-shore Island. Perhaps we can sell off England, maybe to the Middle East - they seem keen to buy such things. We can then get rid of the problematic bit in the middle and tow the Isle of Wight* north and park just off the old Scottish border which will now be the south coast of Scotland :-bd

* I remember the local itv news one April 1st when they had a feature on how the Island was drifting away from the mainland and was going to be towed back into place, as a gullible young boy I was taken in by it :lol:
Genius! You should be in politics Sean! :lol: Joking aside, when you see that the "Leader of the free world" has built a wall across the south of the US it might not be that far fetched (doesn't he have Scottish lineage? Maybe he'll come back and reinstate Hadrian's wall).
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

RIP wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:54 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:52 pm Surely the rules are the rules until the rules change, then it's the new rules. Isn't that always how it works?
Mm... apart from the special cases in the old rules and the special exemptions in the new rules :wink:
:shock: :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just read that when the pubs open and you can freely frequent your favourite cafe, visit people and generally go back to something like normal ... you still won't be able to play cricket :???:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm not seeing the downside
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:32 am you still won't be able to play cricket :???:
Maybe that's got noting to do with the virus and they've just taken this opportunity to ban it anyway :lol:

But being serious, of all the team games surly cricket is the safest with regards to catching a virus, as the whole point of the fielders is to spread out around the pitch so they are a long way apart? If they all stood together spreading germs it would make batting easy as you could just aim for the bit they weren't in :???:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The problem in cricket is the ball.

There are only two players on the field who do not want to touch it.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I thought it might be the ball too Dave ...... given that throughout an average game, it'll get rubbed over the knackers 137 times.
May the bridges you burn light your way