Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Yay, it's cheery Friday.

Post by RIP »

If you can celebrate 10,000 Banter posts milestone, let's have a 1,000 Cheery Friday posts milestone as well :-bd .

Well this has definitely cheered me up: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17443

Oh, and go on then, better keep the game going:

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Burp!

Not a beer garden. Honest.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Went to pick up my new bike.

Well... just a new frame (damaged the Kona beyond repair) but had it for once built by a mechanic, who worked into the evening yesterday. Just because he's passionate about nice bike :-bd the bike was handed over with 6 local beers. Then met friends I don't often see on the way home. Lots of chinwag later, on my way home again, but will come past a brewery where I usually meet more friends. Then my girlfriend got some De Meulen beers... mmmhhh

Bikes and beers. And a girl. And friends. Good times.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Good times people
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Today is the 4-year anniversary of (just about) surviving my first bikepacking bivvy trip.
Headed through some woods. "It's a bit midgey. Shall we try for higher ground, there might be a breeze?"
Got to higher ground. Slightly less midgey. Had some beers, tucked in under a tarp.
Awoke in the morning. The green tarp seemed to be blacker than we remembered. It also seemed to be moving. As our eyes focussed, we realised the moving blackness had wings. And teeth. Many, many teeth. We fled. Breakfast was taken in slightly less bucolic surroundings than had been anticipated.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Or not.

Awoken at 5:30 this morning by the sound of running water. Went downstairs to find it cascading through a light fitting. Back upstairs to the water tank where it was spurting out of. Turned off the mains and let the flood slowly disperse.

Hall ceiling appears to have withstood the deluge but will need dried out to see the damage. Carpet might need replaced. Currently awaiting a call from British Gas to find out when they'll have an engineer over.

Throughout it all, the lady in my Nest Protect was reciting some sort of mantra about testing, countdowns and light rings. Looks like that's goosed too.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Oh dear Colin, hope there isn't too much damage.

Cath informed me this morning that it's our wedding anniversary today :-bd Hadn't forgotten honest - I thought it was next year :lol: Actually it was the first thing she said to me today so I didn't have time to forget.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:25 pm Oh dear Colin, hope there isn't too much damage.

Cath informed me this morning that it's our wedding anniversary today :-bd Hadn't forgotten honest - I thought it was next year :lol: Actually it was the first thing she said to me today so I didn't have time to forget.

ARG!! Doghouse!

"I thought it was next year " - erm, I think it's every year Bob :wink: . Unless you got married on Feb 29th of course :smile: . In mine and Mrs Perrin's case, it's feels like a wedding anniversary every day :roll: .

“Marriage is the bond between a person who never remembers anniversaries and another who never forgets them.” Ogden Nash

Go on then, it's Friday:

“Marriage is a wonderful institution... but who wants to live in an institution?” Groucho Marx

“Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is the bicycle repair kit.” Billy Connolly

“When a man opens a car door for his wife, it’s either a new car or a new wife.” Prince Philip
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:10 pmerm, I think it's every year Bob :wink: . Unless you got married on Feb 29th of course :smile:
Now you tell me!

Actually sometimes Cath forgets so we are about even :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Was cheery, I’d had quite some difficulty finding a box to send shaf the little ones bike and finally located one at leisure lake bikes, drove up and picked it up this morning along with a new XX1 Eagle chain (f**k me gently it was expensive) just about managed to fit it in the van by unlashing the Fargo and copious amounts of bad language. This had repercussions later, went out for a little ride later only to find the front brake hose had been damaged while the bike was bouncing around unrestrained, cheery as I still had a rear :-bd
Got home to a PM from shaff, as the box is a bit big for the courier he’s going to collect :lol:
Still cheery though as I did increase my max square to 32x32 :-bd
And I have some nice IPA and too much hair on my head, definitely could be worse.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I managed to ride to the beer shop after a week and a bit off having crocked my back. I'm now sprawled in the garden with a beer.
Also, 4/5 of the sunflowers are still going (1 got bitten by something, I suspect a neighbouring cat or dog.. ). I think I need to water them more frequently.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Pretty cheery for me. Finished throwing the latest bolide together and then went for a wee shakedown ride. Its Ace, and somewhat different to my usual steeds. Now eating pizza and drinking beer :-bd
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Feel your stress SR.
I too woke in the early hours to the sound of running water. :o
Discovered water dribbling through ceiling in spare bedroom,and also into study downstairs.
Luckily,some furniture damage and small sections of plaster to repair,had to remove all floorboards in loft and the fiberglass insulation.
took a a few months to dry out.
Ball cock washer has disintegrated.
Turned out overflow pipe was restricted by spider webbing and fly exoskeletons.
Hopefully you will sort it out without too much stress.
Insanity over vanity
RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:02 pm f**k me gently it was expensive
Yeah well, if you will buy the ridiculous gold-plated jobby :wink:
too much hair on my head
Stick some in an envelope please.
How weird is that?

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

First day in over a week that I've had to do absolutely no plumbing or digging of holes :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:51 pm
BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:02 pm f**k me gently it was expensive
Yeah well, if you will buy the ridiculous gold-plated jobby :wink:
Unfortunately with Eagle you have the choice of Mr T gold or the even more absurd ‘rainbow’ most galling was the fact that it isn’t that worn, just a bit gouged due to the woeful shifting of the force 11 speed. One day someone will make a proper dropbar MTB groupset, with proper gearing and brakes able to stop a fat lad going downhill etc without having to sell your children to pay for it! My lads inbred on Deore shifted and stopped better than the force sh!te.

Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

"
How weird is that?"
[/quote]

Sorry, Everyone, it didn't happen today,it was while my father was in hospital last year. But still a pia!
Insanity over vanity
ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

Workshop day with my 15 year old lass. She found a design for a fire pit and once I demoed the grinder and welder and she tied her hair back she was off!

Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

Picked up some useful upgrade parts for the Bad Boy during our maintenance trip to Germany. Went from the original 3x8 2014 groupset to a 2x10 GRX set-up, with 46/30 front and 11/34 rear. Suits the bike perfectly and with the 35mm Conti CycloXkings makes a great dirt road bike. Woke at silly o'clock this morning and so decided to race the sunrise up to the top of the local hills (600m). After about 10km making my way out of Greater Accra, the tarmac ended and it was red dirt all the way to the top. For a fully ridged aluminium frame/fork setup, the Bad Boy really shows its Cannondale pedigree. The plastic flats and cheap running shoes are the limiting factor. Plus the constant 80%+ humidity #:-S

Wasn't helped when my only and still full water bottle bounced out and spilt on the floor at the bottom of a rather fast dirt decent. I'd just been overtaken at the top of a climb by a motorcycle and overtook him on the way down :grin:

Never did see the sun all day today, as its been overcast but was a great way to start a Cheery Friday. The ride down on the steep tarmac road back was equally fun. overtaking a taxi on every hairpin and hitting 55kph on the short straights :lol:

For those that like the interactive, here is the Relive https://www.relive.cc/view/vAOZBrAYLoO

Or normal pictures

ImageRace the sun Accra by Andy Wright, on Flickr

RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm quite cheery because it's going to be absolute bloody mayhem out there this weekend, and I've made the decision to stay in bed for 48 hours with the blankets over my head.

I shall not be within a million miles of Southend, Bournemouth or Durdle Door and will be going precisely nowhere. Which coincidentally is the story of my life.

Oh. Strikes me that Mrs Perrin will be here with me for 48 hours too.

Might need a slight re-think here...
Last edited by RIP on Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very wise Reg and I see the weather gods have decided to add a little something to the expected chaos :wink:

Me, I'm quite cheery as I cut some Yew staves earlier in the week and have just discovered that what I firstly dismissed as an off-cut will actually produce a very nice bow for someone. Now, surprisingly I've never actually sold a bow and instead have given them away, however I'm thinking that for once I'll actually put a price on this one ... don't worry though, my compass is still largely intact given that I was thinking eighty quid compared with the usual £400 - £1000 Yew bows can command :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thought you'd be saving your bows for driving off tourists from across the border Stu?!
Weather to be a shocker this weekend which should minimise beach crowding. But very very cheery for me as I'm off to see my parents for the first time since the beginning of March. (In Durham, ho ho) :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Cheery here :-bd Enjoyed a blast through and around the city of Oxford, including a coffee and cake stop in the city centre, legs were firing in all cylinders, traffic was overtaken at speed and veloviewer squares were ticked off. Particularly enjoyable as I really wasn’t looking forward to it but had fun! :-bd

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Another brewery will be opening on the Island, what could be cheerier than that :grin:

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/nano-brewe ... een-light/

As it's a nano brewery I'll have to put the check shirt on and ride the gravel bike there :wink: Actually my 3 week old beard will be much further along by then so I'll be right on trend.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jay91

Post by jay91 »

A good laugh this afternoon riding some new trails with my mate .
Then watching the some lads ride the big dirt jumps :shock: that appeared during lockdown
Trying to ride bikes.