Smallest usable tarp

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Smallest usable tarp

Post by ScotRoutes »

With a fully waterproof bivvy bag, I reckon I could get away with something much smaller than my usual tarp, erected in a Flying V. That's assuming the tarp is just going to cover my head and shoulders, acting as a wind-rain break. What's the smallest tarp you have/use and how do you get on with it?
jameso

Re: Smallest usable tarp

Post by jameso »

This is about 5ft x 4ft, 150g, that sort of size I think - can check if you want? I've used it in a proper US thunderstorm and got some sleep. Feet stick out a bit if lying straight, can curl up and be sheltered fully as long as it's pitched in a good spot. Tend to use it to reduce condensation more than anything else.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cath remembered this one that Sean made ...

:lol: :wink:

James - I'm pretty sure Colin has a Trekkertent DCF tarp that's about four times the size of that and weighs less! My TT tarp is 2.5m x 1.5m and weighs 125g.

Something along the lines of this: https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/tarp ... WE102.html but in DCF maybe. Hadn't Stu got a similar project on the go last year or earlier this year?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
psling

Post by psling »

Remember this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15840
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Aye, that sort of thing. Possibly with a lifter too.

The BPL one is out of stock at the moment.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:28 pm Cath remembered this one that Sean made ...
Ralph's tarp is small but perhaps a touch too small for the rest of us :lol:

I made this way back in 2015

From memory it's about 1.4m square, which was the width of the fabric it's made from. I worked well, I could get into my bivi bag without getting wet.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jameso

Post by jameso »

James - I'm pretty sure Colin has a Trekkertent DCF tarp that's about four times the size of that and weighs less! My TT tarp is 2.5m x 1.5m and weighs 125g.
Approx spec from memory, basic silnylon. Maybe 120-130g. Was about £25 :grin:
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I have used a 1.5m square tarp for this purpose with worst conditions 4cm of snow. I find flying v hard to wriggle in and out of so pitched it corner to corner with face pole much higher and 30cm lines on three low corners and two low midpoints.

Edit, essentially just like Sean above
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

In a race to the bottom with consideration of wind direction I reckon a right angle triangle of 1.4 could do it, as the lower half of the square does not pull it's weight in protection per sq cm
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

jameso wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:05 pm
Approx spec from memory, basic silnylon. Maybe 120-130g. Was about £25 :grin:
FWIW, my DCF tarp is 270x180, 124g. Don't ask the cost :lol:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Without the need of a bivybag I go as little as 145 x 265 cm with my most used tarp. Also works for two, if you don't mind getting close and the rain isn't coming horizontally (find a sheltered place).

With a bivybag I believe you could easily go 145 x 145 cm or so. But then you have a tarp which will only work with a bivy bag, rather than one that does it all.
ripio

Post by ripio »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I found that not pinning the small tarps directly to the ground makes a massive difference to how much space you have. Obviously you lose a little protection from the wind or wind driven rain but in reality, most rain tends to fall straight down and you're in a bivvy bag anyway :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ripio wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:17 pm DD Hammocks Magic Carpet?
https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_magic_carpet2
I got one of those because they were relatively cheap. They aren't the lightest of builds (for the size) but do pack up pretty small and are actually really handy for a multitude of uses (I've used mine as a tarp/tent extension, a ground sheet and as lunch shelter when on wet day rides). I've always thought it'd work well as a head and shoulders shelter with a water proof bivi bag but I've not actually tried it out that way yet.
PS, mine is the smaller, square 140x140 version.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Aye, that DD Hammocks one looks good. Could do with a lifter in the centre maybe.

I might ask Marc if he could run one up for me .....
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Ive one of the Micro Tarps from backpackinglight. I've only used it camping twice as it didn't take me long to realise bivvy bags and tiny tarps are not for me.

But if they work for you this thing is just 1.45m x 1.2m, 160g and packs down to the size of a deck of cards. Or close.

https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/tarp ... WE102.html
I'm just going outside ...
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

You’ve probably a photo of mine. I think they’re a good choice if it’s windy.

I thought you already had a small tarp!