DeWidget Strapdeck

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rocklobstercat

DeWidget Strapdeck

Post by rocklobstercat »

I've been looking at these and like the idea of easy setup compared to a harness I've been using which takes a while to mount. Any advantages of the Strapdeck system and would it be any good for carrying a sleeping bag, bivi bag and mat out front. I think the weight limit suggested was 1.7kgs. I would be interested in peoples' feedback who are using this system.
whitestone

Re: DeWidget Strapdeck

Post by whitestone »

I've fitted this to my Spearfish but not had chance to use it in anger yet. My usage was going to be either quilt and sleeping mat or tarp and bivy bag. (I like to keep the "wet" and "dry" parts of the bivy system separate.) I ought to just load it up and go for a ride to see how it fares.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
slarge

Post by slarge »

I have one and whilst I haven't used it in anger, I have been looking at how to carry a drybag with sleeping kit in front of the bars (rather than under the bars). For this it looks very small, and the bag kind of deforms around it, so the bag still bounces but the strapdeck is stable.

What I'd really like is a really big strapdeck (200mm x 100mm type size), with more of a curve at the bottom edge to give the bottom of the bag more support.

I think if you are suspending a bag under the bars then a strapdeck is ideal (as per the photos on their website).
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a good concept for small bags but maybe not ideal for my setup which is a 13l Alpkit drybag. I've been using a Wildcat harness for years so will continue to do so until something better is invented for larger loads. Like you say maybe a larger Strapdeck may work better for some people.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

The brand spanking new, amazingly named, 'drj0n Bagworks Double Trouble Triple Strapdeck' is a bigger platform that's compatible with the GFunk (as well as regular triple and double cage mounts).

180mm x 53mm so quite a bit bigger than the 'large' Strapdeck. Doesn't really change the recommended max load on the GFunks but I think it might keep bigger loads a little more stable.

Available now.

https://wildcat.cc/products/dewidget-st ... ble-triple

Mike

Post by Mike »

That thing u showed me slarge, i reckon it would be ok to hold a can of pop or the like :wink:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

rocklobstercat wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:38 pm ... until something better is invented for larger loads.
Like this? https://salsacycles.com/components/cate ... ing_cradle
slarge

Post by slarge »

Charliecres wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:14 pm
rocklobstercat wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:38 pm ... until something better is invented for larger loads.
Like this? https://salsacycles.com/components/cate ... ing_cradle
Ideal, but 420g - that is one heavy cradle!!
drjon

Post by drjon »

evening,

it kind of depends on the size and weight of stuff...

im using a dry bag I made that houses my thermarest, tarp, pole and some puffies. id put the sleeping bag elsewhere or swap something in or out. the voile straps need to be tight, the bag densely packed and it stays put.

the kit in the bag is about a kg and if I was to recommend, this is the ideal sort of weight. it will take more, but you will get more movement and the handling of the bike is affected if you overweight the bars. keeping it lower, narrower and less heavy is the ticket if its possible.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/drj0n/498 ... otostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/drj0n/498 ... otostream/

I like to think of the part it plays in a system. you want weighty items in your frame or under it and as little weight hanging off the peripheries as possible to my mind in an ideal set up. of course, it depends on length of trip, comfort level, ideas of minimalism and weather expected.

https://www.facebook.com/dRj0n/videos/1 ... 850088313/

I spent a good bit of time enjoying some nice trail checking how well it worked.

https://vimeo.com/410218416

feel free to fire me any questions. cheers, jon
Last edited by drjon on Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’m using a triple due to needing more space between the clamps and it’s great for what I want, it’s holding my ZPacks tent and pole. Works a treat and weighs nowt :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
drjon

Post by drjon »

thanks! love hearing from folk and how they are using them. cheers!
Al

Post by Al »

I’m still tempted by one of these but am wondering what advantage the g funk clamps have over dmr hinged Clamps?
drjon

Post by drjon »

The G dunk flex open so achieve the same thing - and are light and tough, if that helps!
Al

Post by Al »

drjon wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:09 am The G dunk flex open so achieve the same thing - and are light and tough, if that helps!
I wondered if they were stronger? What size bolt do they use?
drjon

Post by drjon »

G funk use m5. 40mm A2 stainless coated black. thet are pretty strong bolts. of couse *how* a bolt is used is vital. my seatpost uses 2xM5 bolts to hold the saddle that holds 88kg of throbbing gristle up...
drjon

Post by drjon »

the other element is how the forces are transmitted to the bars. a lot of carbon bars have no resistance built in to clamping lateral to the stem. id wager my system, that provides circumferential clamping as opposed to a scissor type action, and in a naturally grippy material (ano alu is essentially slippery) is less likely to lead to mischief....but then again, the dmr clamps are cheap so definitely attractive from a price pov.
Al

Post by Al »

:ugeek: Hmm...thank you - food for thought!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Can’t wait to try mine, but the project is not quite complete. A conventional harness, like my Wildcat, doesn’t work with a Lefty. This should, and only needs to hold a 5L, sub 1kg roll with my bivi & sleep bag/vest/booties.

Will update once the build is done; hope to use it for the rescheduled Tuscany Trail, late summer. 🤞
drjon

Post by drjon »

sweet! sounds just the ticket ;-)~ and Tuscany? i know they carry a bottle of wine well !
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

drjon wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:09 pm sweet! sounds just the ticket ;-)~ and Tuscany? i know they carry a bottle of wine well !

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9kcWqHlm_C ... _copy_link
slarge

Post by slarge »

A couple of ideas for the strapdeck (development):

- For the bar harness end - To allow it to be pushed further out from the bars to avoid cables etc, use a downhill direct mount stem that comes in 2 pieces and attach to that. And maybe offer a strapdeck that is more curved and bigger (200 x 100 at least). More like the Salsa thing but cheaper and lighter. (My mtb has a very short headtube and front suspension, so keeping the bag up and out is key for me)

- for the seat pack end - a strapdeck "clamp" that fixes to the seat rails and provides a zero sway attachment for a drybag. Would also need a seatpost strap to avoid too much stress on the seat rails (esp if carbon like mine!).
drjon

Post by drjon »

thanks for the input Slarge. ive been thinking about a version that would potentially take in some of that remit. to be honest I think I would need to go to M6 bolts to allow more stand off (leverage on the bolt) and the fact that with a bigger capacity folk will undoubtedly load it more. that means the cage becomes more difficult to design for dual use.

This set up was designed as a 'functional minimalism' piece. the cage is also versatile in so far as it will mount to forks, frame or the G funks. the clamps are small and light and removable and can use the deck or work as a extra bottle cage mount. Ive a notion that the 35mm size will work on 34mm stanchion suspension forks but need to test that out, so there is a lot of potential for swapping around for light overnight missions or longer day rides - multi use in other words, tat adds value and encourages experimentation.

thanks for the input!' - I think about it all and take it all on board for future designs - its not my day job but its a lot of fun to pursue!
drjon

Post by drjon »

oh, and someone has mooted using the larger strap deck as a mini rack - basically having some thin standoffs that can be used with either fork bosses, low rider mounts etc and the deck as a central piece. it might well be adaptable in concept to the rear of the bike too....its going through my mind :-)~ think a sketch is on wildcats Facebook feed.