Stupid ideas you can't shake.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AlasdairMc

Re: Stupid ideas you can't shake.

Post by AlasdairMc »

FLV wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:56 pm Potentially a silly idea, but I cant shake the Colorado Trail from my head.

I've reconciled the positives and negatives of the race vs ITT / Tour style or the going alone / with friends either.

Thinking about, its not actually that silly an idea so perhaps I should go for it...
I also have the Colorado Trail in mind. Luckily I know someone who stays a couple of miles from the start/finish in Littleton who will happily help out with logistics (and you’ve probably met him too on the HT430).
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Yeah....I get this....I mean...look at where I am now. Still not sure if it was smart, stupid or some grey area between that isn't worth two knobs of goat sh!te.

My problem is I get these stupid ideas with complete and utter disregard there's a reason I haven't done that in the first place. All said...I'll usually go action the really stupid ones because there will be an element of risk involved that is somewhat exciting. : )

Greetz

S.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Flicking through the list I must be stupid because they all just seem like great ideas. :lol:

My sensible ideas (head plans) are the following:

Tour Divide
Iditarod Trail Invitation
Colorada Trail
Fatbike North to South of Greenland
Crossing the Baring Straits on Fatbike/Packraft

Actually most of these are stupid ideas :roll:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

All of those seem quite good ideas, well apart from the last one, why spoil a good bike ride by taking a lilo along :wink:

There are lots of biking ones I have but the really stupid one I have that won't go away, and it's been over 10 years now, is to run the coastal path around the Island, particularly stupid as it doesn't involve either bikes or biving. It's 70 miles when done properly and with a surprising 7000 ft of climbing :o

As my biking challenges are on hold I've decided to look into this again, I need something big to focus on to keep me motivated, and it's something I can do under the current rules, I'd aim to get round in under 24 hrs. Back in 2015 when I was doing more running I managed to run the south coast of the Island which is 33 miles so how much harder can another 37 be :lol:

To this aim I've entered the virtual west highland way race which starts on Friday, 95 miles in under 9.5 days. So I'll find out how stupid what was :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

PaulE wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:07 pm I keep seeing signs for the Peak District boundary wall when I'm out with the kids, so though I'd look at it yesterday. Turns out it's a 190mile monster, and some people did it in 105 hours. This is sufficiently close to 100 to make me think that being the first to get it under 100 hours would be an excellent thing to do... https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2019/ ... t-boundary
So I've made this into a bikeable route, matching it as close as possible:

https://www.strava.com/routes/2713132799627335384

48% paved according to Strava. If we get a nice weekend I'll be giving it a spin as a warm-up for the YD300. Hopefully.