Today’s (unusual) aircraft

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

faustus

Re: Today’s (unusual) aircraft

Post by faustus »

Victor Vulcan and Valiant

Not as much of interest around me, though lots of Apache helicopters from Middle Wallop, and Chinooks from Odiham...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Oh aye :-bd

Nothing quite looked like the Vulcan though. A chap who was a Nav' lived in our village.
chris n

Post by chris n »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:09 am Growing up in Lincolnshire and being of a certain age the sight of flying Vulcans was common. What were the other 2 planes in that V range - Viglen and ???
Victor and Valiant

Viglen make computers. Viggen was a Swedish (Saab) jet.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Pretty much daily! Common for me to see them twice a day. Not so common is their latest XL version, that is massive!
So, where is that voodoo-simon?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

belugabob wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:14 am
Pretty much daily! Common for me to see them twice a day. Not so common is their latest XL version, that is massive!
Chester and it lands at Hawarden Airport, part of British Aerospace. There’s also a cracking cafe within the Airbus site Called Chocks Away and it open to the public. Worth checking out if it survives lockdown
RIP

Post by RIP »

Vulcans - bonkers planes. Pilots had to be reminded they were on a one-way trip if the flag went up in the Cold War which is a sobering thought. Remember the relay race to the Falklands too. My grandfather was a Mosquito engineer in WW2 and took me to loads of shows (nooooooo not in WW2) including regular Manby visits so I viewed loads of V force.

ANYWAY, back to TODAY's aircraft. Apache just gone over. He make um heap big noise over um range.

But the weird thing is it was in full view when I took the pic - but it's not in the pic!!! Trialling some new Thunderbirds/StarTrek-style cloaking device????

Last edited by RIP on Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

You need to drive to barnard castle

RIP

Post by RIP »

:wink: . Thought that was a pigeon. I guess the shutter reaction time on what passes for my phone camera is a little slower than it might be....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Scud

Post by Scud »

I'm North Norfolk so we have RAF Lakenheath with a US Fighter Wing there, RAF Mildenhall and a few other nearby including Red Arrows and Battle of Britain Memorial not too far across border in Lincs. So often see them heading to shows as they cross the Wash.

During WW2 East Anglia had some 116 airfields, with 67 run by USAF and 200,000 yanks here. So many of my rides i see numerous small memorials especially to lost bomber crews, there is 4 alone in my small village, and a lot of rides take in old airfields as most can still be seen. My wife's uncle runs a large farm near Bylaugh and we ride Peddars Way i often take friends to see the old Canadian base on his land, 6 big Nissan huts, which look nothing from outside, but still have the dart board, the bar, empty beer bottles, graffiti and signs all inside, they are little time capsules and few know they are there.

Nothing like being on a ride and having an Apache track you as you pedal along....
faustus

Post by faustus »

All those abandoned airfields sounds really interesting, there's something about the tangible historical feel of the places. My folks live near Tarrant Rushton airfield in Dorset, and it's good to cycle through and along the old taxiways. The old (and large) war era hangers are just used for farm machinery now. Abandoned airfields put me in mind of the great war film Twelve O'Clock High, with Major Stovall remembering RAF Archbury in the opening scenes(even though the filming was mostly in the USA!).

Must be Apache day, we've had one doing a few circuits this afternoon.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Bit random, but if anyone likes their WW2 history with a dose of humour, Al Murray does a podcast with a historian called James Holland called "we have ways of making you talk". Which is actually quite interesting as they cover parts of the war i didn't know about.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

IMG_20200604_071851~2.jpg
(23.48 KiB) Downloaded 799 times
"But the weird thing is it was in full view when I took the pic - but it's not in the pic!!! Trialling some new Thunderbirds/StarTrek-style cloaking device????"

Funny that ,when I took a photo of it flying over, it had t transformed in to kestrel!
:lol:
Insanity over vanity
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

His videos occasionally get linked to on here but he had a ride around Fersfield Airdrome a while ago ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0cQ1WWZNo4
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:19 am
Chester and it lands at Hawarden Airport, part of British Aerospace. There’s also a cracking cafe within the Airbus site Called Chocks Away and it open to the public. Worth checking out if it survives lockdown
That would bag me a few veloviewer tiles - or I could drive up, from Gatwick ;)
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

If anyone is out and about near little rissinton airfield you might see a shorts skyvan, now I’ve jumped out of one a hundred times, they are bloody loud on full chat, not this one. No markings and painted drab olive it sounds like it’s running electric motors. Four guys get out at low altitude on grey ram air parachutes and land within a few minutes. Obviously SAS, I know they do a little there but just how do they get that van so quiet, it’s spooky.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

belugabob wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:14 pm
voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:19 am
That would bag me a few veloviewer tiles - or I could drive up, from Gatwick ;)
Or fly up :wink:

Ok, the cafe is good but not worth that distance to come over. Here’s a picture I typical Bulls Eye “here’s what you could have won”
Attachments
295EFCA9-1EB8-473D-8CA9-E61F29C3319B.jpeg
(86.91 KiB) Downloaded 701 times
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

In a bid to post something positive, this week I’ve done well
-Apache helicopter
-Puma helicopter
-E3CF aircraft (big radar disk on top)
-More A400s
-C130 hercules

Think that’s the lots
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

I can see the Gatwick runway, from my house, and I've seen naff all :(
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

belugabob wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:30 am I can see the Gatwick runway, from my house, and I've seen naff all :(
Normally I wouldn't be worried but you're a pilot! :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:28 pm ...painted drab olive it sounds like it’s running electric motors.
Perhaps the army's gone,...erm,..."green". :roll:
May you always have tail wind.