North Peaks 100km (finalised)

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

North Peaks 100km (finalised)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Basically I'm trying to make a (C word not used) current climate friendly ITT. Something that most/some of us locals can ride from our doorstep if we wished, short enough to not need overnighting, fravelly enough that there's isn't too big a risk of injury, remote enough that we're not bothering the locals and it'll force us to try and carry our own food with water from the local streams.

Am thinking about 100ish miles or probably alot less and without risking any stupid roads in between. Its gonna touch on the most nrotherly sections of The Peak which isn't actually included in the Peaks200 and its gonna definitely miss out [goes to investigate to ensure he gets it right] Cut Gate as that long slog just makes me sad with the remote barren land and there's lots of broken sections on/preceding that which need addressing.

So, the point of this post:

1/ If you're somewhere northish on the Peaks and wiuld want it going near enough your ends as you'd like to give it a shot then please say so.

2/ If you can think of any sections that have stunning views (the path leading up to Wessenden Head is probably gonna be the highlight of the ride God Willing) as well as any that are most likely best avoided then please say.

3/ How'd I go about getting it made/passed into an official ITT and is there an official/unoffical minimal limit. I doubt I'd be able to get it much shorter than 80ish miles but would certainly wanna try so NorthPeaks100 would be in KM and denote about 65 miles.

4/ Any other advice and please can we try not mentioning the C word on here etc etc... I know :-bd

Ta in advance
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Hands up if you live North Peaks (ish)

Oh... and is it bad form (in UK) to include paths on ITTS if they have a purpose (to go past a nice scenic section like a waterfall or summat) and obviously you'd hope the cyclist would use their judgement abd walk/HAB this section. Sorry if any Qs sound a bit daft
RIP

Post by RIP »

"is it bad form (in UK) to include paths" - yep (*) until "they" see sense and upgrade [some of] them (IMHOOC) :wink: .

(*) "Unless the landowner permits it".. maybe that's your get-out card :smile: . Interestingly it seems that biking on a footpath is exactly the same "offence" as wildcamping - in both cases you are committing the tort of trespass against the landowner, who is the only person who can seek a judicial remedy. If you were feeling confrontational (what, a Boner? Surely not), if another path user verbally accosted you you could tell them where to go or they could call the landowner by which time you're away and gone.

I read this once: "There is good evidence, although no direct case law, to support the view that pushing a cycle on a footpath is not illegal".

Pedantically (well not really, it's a critical difference) - riding on a pavement IS a criminal office as opposed to a civil (footpath) one.

Clear as mud as usual. One to ponder over a brew or two.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:18 pm "is it bad form (in UK) to include paths" - yep until "they" see sense and upgrade [some of] them (IMHOOC) :wink: .
Thanks Reg... looks like (well according to the Self Supported site) it probably not long enough for an ITT to be included on their page. They've listed 100 miles as minimal... mine is gonna be 100 on the km side :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Talking of riding on pavements, an obscure factoid is, I'm fairly sure, that parking a vehicle on a pavement is not an offence (except in London - £100 fine - and apparently in Scotland from 2021) but driving on a pavement is. So if you had some way of craning your vehicle onto a pavement you'd get away with it.

Bloody hate pavement parking.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Anyone who's got an interest in the 'cycling on footpaths' debate should have a read of this

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/campa ... h-trespass

It's from 2014 but I think it's still relevant, after all the laws are older than that. It's a look at the legal aspects of what's involved.

For anyone who can't be bothered to read it, here's the conclusion,

Cycling along footpaths has not been held to be a public nuisance. If cycling was a private nuisance to the owner it would be a trespass even with a right of way. So if cycling along, say, a bridleway is not a private nuisance then cycling along a footpath cannot be. The clear implication is that a cyclist on a public footpath has lawful authority to be there and is not a trespasser.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Re: Hands up if reside around the North Peaks (ish)

Post by ScotRoutes »

* cough *
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

and is it bad form (in UK) to include paths on ITTS
Personally, I'd steer clear. Whatever the rights and wrongs, there's always the potential for conflict which does no one any good - and let's be honest, the Peak District is a busy place and many of the walkers can be somewhat militant in their outlook. Keep it 100% legal Shaf and thus any grief to an absolute minimum. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:13 pm
and is it bad form (in UK) to include paths on ITTS
Personally, I'd steer clear. Whatever the rights and wrongs, there's always the potential for conflict which does no one any good - and let's be honest, the Peak District is a busy place and many of the walkers can be somewhat militant in their outlook. Keep it 100% legal Shaf and thus any grief to an absolute minimum. :-bd
Thanks Stu. Kinda decided that after Reg comment. Am on 37 miles with (I'm hoping) nothing too 'I'm gonna hit my head there' sections. Will share shortly. Feel quite excited and also noted how Dave (Kane) actually is on them there trails. Rapid up the side of Wessenden Head (wow) as well as Karl and In Reverse Andy
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:57 pm* cough *
You alright there 'Routes mate? Bit of a tickle? Maybe C19 symptoms hanging around? Can't be anything else surely..... he, he...

redefined_cycles

Re: (Title change) any1 able to review/comment on my NorthPeaks100 loop

Right then... Managed to make something that allows me to get to the Peaks with a little loop and back again. Hopefully within 'not' too many hours.

Appreciate any feedback or bits I've missed or shouldn't have popped into there. Thanks in advance

(Goes to realise he can't just share the gpx from hus phones memory so then has to dabble in viewranger in the hope he can find decent link/s to share)...

http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MzA4Mzg1Mg==

http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MzA4NDI1NA==
Karl

Re: (Title change) any1 able to review/comment on my NorthPeaks100 loop

Post by Karl »

If you don't mind it being a (fair) bit longer I'd be tempted to go towards hayfield from hadfield then take in Jacobs ladder, Jaggers Clough, The Beast then Cutgate....just like you didn't want :lol:
Bearlegged

Re: Anyone able to review/comment on my NorthPeaks100 loop

Post by Bearlegged »

My immediate thoughts are that I wouldn't want to spend that long on the A635.

Rather than head to Glossop, there's some nice riding between Wessenden Head and Dunford Bridge. From there, a loop up towards Cut Gate (but not over it), down North America, then wiggle about a bit through the Penistone area to meet up with the TPT and join with part 2 of your route? Not sure what it would do to the overall distance, but could be worth a play.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Suggestion, based on my previous post:

https://www.komoot.com/tour/196684272?ref=wtd

Caveat 1: I've not ridden the BW sections across the top of Upper Windleden Reservoir, just to the north of the A628, and along Swindens Lane.
Caveat 2: I've not ridden the section from Langsett to where the route rejoins the TPT near Penistone.
redefined_cycles

Landslide wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:34 am Suggestion, based on my previous post:

https://www.komoot.com/tour/196684272?ref=wtd

Caveat 1: I've not ridden the BW sections across the top of Upper Windleden Reservoir, just to the north of the A628, and along Swindens Lane.
Caveat 2: I've not ridden the section from Langsett to where the route rejoins the TPT near Penistone.
Thereby missing out the long (boring ?*) section between Hadfield and Dunford Bridge... The main road never did excite me too much anyway and can be very exposed along the tops I suppose. Thankfully never ridden it and wasn't too comfy about it either...

Decisions decisions :smile:

Karl, I did wanna include Jacobs initially but aftet making my bit getting to Wessy, realised I'd not have enough time to come down them/your ends. Off course you and a few others could probably clear it all within about 12 H :-bd but many might get stuck and in need of sleep/lots more supplies...
redefined_cycles

NB. Thanks both :grin:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Hi Shaf.
Theres a 'little' more interest to be had between glossop and dunford bridge. Its not brilliant buts its better than just spinning along the longendale.

Ill plot it and try to share but,

After you drop off the PB via arnfield rd.

Opt1
Follow the north side tarmac of bottoms and valehouse (not the A road)
Up the zig zags little climb

Opt2
Follow the little b road east to the A628, dash up the hill briefly,
Bear left onto the bridleway. Follow until it comes back to the a628
Pop accross the main road to the access road. This is marked bridleway on the ground / gate (i think, I'll go check, but its a short tarmac access road)

Through the gate heading east, this is 100% bridleway.
Theres a wide ish track (1/3 of the way alongbthis bit theres some singletrack)
Cross the next access road ont some gravel (thru 2 gates)
At the dam go left into the wood for nice singletrack.
Through the gate and up the steps (ridable, you know you can do it :grin: )
Cross the 628 again
Follow the grass up the middle tarmac to crowden.
After crowden follow the northern horse route, briefly throughbthe woods then grassy singletrack all the way to the A6204
Cross, then drop to the wier, follow round then
Climb the track you know by pikenaze hill.

It takes longer, has more gates, but is more interesting than the longendale.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Dave... quick update though so far...

decided against turning straight down the main road (A635) towards Glossop ends just like suggested by Landslide and followed alot of the Holme Valley MTB challenge (2017 edition) in reverse towards the South.

Lots of beautiful sibgletrack that needed to be ridden uphill and plenty of pebbles (the size of pigs heads) that should make it interesting for anyone that decided to ride it on a gravel bike.

Managed to get 50ish miles done so only another 15 miles of wiggle room but don't worry, any info (once I manage to decipher it) shouldn't be totally lost as I plan on making a Karl Cut (100 but representative of miles) soif there was a nice way to get from Harden Clough towards Hadfield so I can follow the trails across to Jacobs, that'll be great.

Pretty chuffed (sorry) that I've hardly got any food stops/shops enroute (a coop vwfore Shelley or afyer it and one of the famous ice Cream parlours towards my ends... but both slightly off course). That means Karls Cut will do his name justice (learnt from one of his blogs how he went with all his food on one of the BBs) hopefully and the mad lot should enjoy it (hopefully)...

This the bit where I would be happy extending it South I think to see if Dave and Co might be able to join (on the shorter version of 100km) via some sort of own intake route. If that makes any sense...

Any secret trails - as long as they're ethically ok and wont have any farmers crying 'spilt milk' - would be very good to know...
redefined_cycles

sean_iow wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:12 pm Anyone who's got an interest in the 'cycling on footpaths' debate should have a read of this

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/campa ... h-trespass

It's from 2014 but I think it's still relevant, after all the laws are older than that. It's a look at the legal aspects of what's involved.

For anyone who can't be bothered to read it, here's the conclusion,

Cycling along footpaths has not been held to be a public nuisance. If cycling was a private nuisance to the owner it would be a trespass even with a right of way. So if cycling along, say, a bridleway is not a private nuisance then cycling along a footpath cannot be. The clear implication is that a cyclist on a public footpath has lawful authority to be there and is not a trespasser.
Glad I read this before todays exploratory ride. Met a farmer (well his son) who had a little talking to me about a byway that theyre trying to have removed from OS as the land around their farm they've had prepared for walkers/riders and people were riding through the (overgrown and blocked with dung as well as trees) byway at silly O clock and scaring/waking the cows. Been to court and courts yet to come up with a decision. Would have had to cut barbed wire to get through anyway so I respectfully went round (nice route) and will edit this out...

Complicated sometimes I suppose. Glad i saw him though as I'd never have thiught of the nicer singletrack on side of the farm properly gravel dashed aswell (pigs head sized gravel again but well set in the ground from a decent quarry with plenty solidified sand :grin:
FLV

Post by FLV »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:47 am soif there was a nice way to get from Harden Clough towards Hadfield so I can follow the trails across to Jacobs, that'll be great.
only by reversing what I said up there. Its not exciting but is ok. On the original Peak 200 Ian ended up down the longendale trail, its frustrating but there's not a lot there.

If you don't go up Wessenden, you can head down through Diggle (or round Bleak Hey Nook and Lark hill etc), briefly on the old railway through uppermill before up onto the bridleways above Mossley following the PB to Hayfield.
Then its through Glossop to get back to the trails. If you end up there, I can recommend routes through of course.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Missed this thread Shaf. Chuck your route up and I'll offer some poor advice if you like.
redefined_cycles

In Reverse wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:41 am Missed this thread Shaf. Chuck your route up and I'll offer some poor advice if you like.
Think am all sorted for the sub 100km now Andy... Still need to put up the KarlsCut edition (sub 100 miles). Both hopefully getting drawn and put here on sunday eve sometime (then ridden as a start when you like non group start - like them virtual home trainer rides but out on the trails with other riders miles ahead or behind as they started whever they liked from their own place/wherever they liked.. erm... you know).

Hopefully after that everyone can comment and it/theyll be finalised. With a seperate forum thread for people to put up their times as sub 100 miles doesn't qualify for the Self Supported site :-bd

Group (start when n where you like actually) start is on last weekend of July. Same days as LEJOG which some idiot still has cancelled and reimbursed (or at least made an effort) us our money yet. Not mentioning any names :smile:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Will be interested to see the route and tentatively agreeing to take part - socially isolated etc and finishing before midnight to be compliant etc
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:50 pm Will be interested to see the route and tentatively agreeing to take part - socially isolated etc and finishing before midnight to be compliant etc
Should be up shortly Jon.. I think you'll like it and just need to edit a coupke mote roads and one path at least which made its way into it. Thankfully I rode it and realised the lines not long dashed...
redefined_cycles

Re: North Peaks 100km (almost finalised)

Sharing via ViewRanger
I found this #OffRoadBiking route and thought you'd like it. http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MzA5NTk1Ng== Via @ViewRanger http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MzA5NTk1Ng==

Think I've managed it. Does spill out of 'The Peak' a little and am sorry. Have included as much rocky things as I could as well as eliminating any of the stupid roads that leave or enter the motorways. Just 2 (or 3) fast roads but only short sections of em and have tried to make it such that its the straight sections. Were needed to join the tracks...

Its come up to 97km so happy with that. If Dave or Andy (or anyone else) wanted to comment or suggest an edit of something out or in then am all ears. Its really one of them, try and carry all yer food' rides although water can (obviously) be had enroute if you look carefully.

Erm... won't be carrying any bivvy gear nor tea coffee (unless you will be) so should be able to get round well within daylight hours...

Karls Cut coming shortly (if anyone really wants it which I doubt except for maybe Karl who already knows his loop) which is basically just gonna go towards Hadfield/Hayfied and around Jacobs towards (nasty, smile desteoying) Cut Gate then rejoin further up at the Trant Pennine Trail. If the mileage comes up over 100 then I can easily chop some of the boring (for the mental people) top section of without distrubing thw ride into/out of Wessenden Head...

Thanks in advance