Top Tube Bags (again)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chew

Top Tube Bags (again)

Post by Chew »

So what’s the recommended options for a top tube bag?

Only needs to be small to keep the electricals for charging cables out of the weather.
Any which don’t move about?
sean_iow

Re: Top Tube Bags (again)

Post by sean_iow »

Mine's home made so no help on recommending a bag but the key to stopping it moving is a drj0n dewidget.

Until I got one the bag would always move a bit no matter how it was attached.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I got a custom one done by beerbabe and even got a little velcro opening for my charging cable to go in, highly recommended
composite

Post by composite »

I have found the Restrap one to be excellent. Been through a few and this has certainly been the best one. Doesn't move about and keeps it shape so it's easy to zip up one-handed which was the holy grail for me. The strap that goes around the top tube is rubberised on the inside to help stop it slipping. The strap that goes around the base of the stem/steerer is fully adjustable in terms of height so will fit whatever shape your bike is. Its a good quality finish and hard-wearing.

I never realised that I could be this impressed with a top tube bag.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:42 pm Mine's home made so no help on recommending a bag but the key to stopping it moving is a drj0n dewidget.

Until I got one the bag would always move a bit no matter how it was attached.
The latest such bag I made with thin foam lining on the sides and self adhesive foam on the top tube. The front has Velcro to go around the spacers under the stem and a narrow webbing loop through which I fitted a cord that runs across the stem, held in place by the spacer ontop of the stem. Worked really well (past tense 'cause I only use it in winter on my fatbike).

As full and as sideways as it gets.
Chew wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:04 pm So what’s the recommended options for a top tube bag?

Only needs to be small to keep the electricals for charging cables out of the weather.
Any which don’t move about?
I can't help with recommending any specific one(s), but would look for as small as possible for your needs and with slightly stiffened sides.
Karl seems very happy with his... is it a Relevate? The magnetic closure one..?
Also any bag that goes with a dewidget seems like a good solution.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have the Revelate one. It doesn't wobble. No widgets required.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have the Revelate one, but the newer one has a one handed quick opening which looked like quite a clever function
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I have the Acepac one available on here, it's big enough for wallet, glasses, phone, power bank and some gels. I use the mesh outer pocket for the power bank as I can see the charging lights when riding along.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I have a 4-5 year old Topeak Fuel Tank. Can’t say I really like it as it’s always either a bit big or a bit small, but it must be doing something right to still be around after that long.
I'm just going outside ...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I’ve got the acepac one, only used it on one ride so far but it can fit a burrito and extra snacks in and the daisy chain on the bottom meant it was easy to make it coexist with the frame bag
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've found it's the shape of the top tube that affects stability. I've an Alpkit top tube bag and it's fine on my Solaris with an oval shaped top tube but it would flop all over the place on my On-One Pompetamine due to that having a round top tube.

Obviously the deWidget would help in both circumstances.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

Another +1 for the Revelate Gas Tank. It's all in the strap design. Would buy another as I think it's worth the extra ££ for the lack of faff.
jameso

Post by jameso »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:45 am I’ve got the acepac one, only used it on one ride so far but it can fit a burrito and extra snacks in and the daisy chain on the bottom meant it was easy to make it coexist with the frame bag
Good point, that can also work well - my Alpkit TT bag isn't very stable unless used on the same strap as a frame bag, when the velcro grips the TT bag daisy chain and it stays put.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Actually I also have a very stiff topeak one that has a cable slot too
RIP

Post by RIP »

Alpkit one - hyperlight unlined LS07 version. Sadly now no longer produced.

I'm sure you won't be in the least surprised that I inserted a chopped up milk carton into the back half of it for anti-flop stiffness. Cut in half horizontally then the bottom half cut again vertically, resulting in a sort of scoop shape.

Also instead of a drjon (no disrespect) I just have a length of dyneema line attached to the top and round the stem. Works fine.

And the final myog is because my gear cables are along the top of the toptube I've put two 3cm lengths of plastic winemaking pipe round them, sliced once lengthways to put them on. Stops gastank velcro rubbing the cables and viceversa.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jay91

Post by jay91 »

I use an old alpkit one with cable ties instead of the straps for the bottom it's pretty solid but not the best for your frame :lol:
Trying to ride bikes.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep, cableties, gaffertape and milk cartons is all you ever need. I reckon people flap too much about their [non-carbon] frames. Gonna take a few hundred years for a cabletie to rub 2mm of cold hard steel away and it's probably rusting through from the inside anyway
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

+1 Alpkit
Huwblut

Post by Huwblut »

Ross at straight cut made one for me. Opens & closes one handed, doesn’t wobble & has mesh on the right side for stashing wrappers etc. It’s also got a glow in the dark puller on the zip.
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

I have a medium Alpkit one that I've used for around 4 years. I've improved it by gluing thin plastic panels cut to shape inside. Bought the plastic from ebay for £3. It doesnt flop or move. Any bag that is over a certain size without reinforced rigidity will flop about so bear that in mind when looking for one. I think there's plenty to choose from these days.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I have 3....

Revelate. Several years old. Mediumish in size. fits plenty of stuff, very stable. Only fits a phone (samsung S9) if you detach the divider. Expensive, but the best one I have.

Apidura, Size Small one. Only just fits a smallish phone due to length which does put the zip under a little pressure. Stable enough for light stuff. Narrow so well out of the way. Day to day, this is my choice as it small and neat.

Acepac, a big old bag this one. two dividers, fits tons and tons of stuff in there. I've only used it a couple of times but would limit heavy stuff as its a little less stiff in the sides of the bag. If you're limited on crotch clearance, this one may get in the way :lol:
Boab

Post by Boab »

I quite like my Restrap one, however, it's not the best if you run your stem low on the steerer. The way the velcro steerer strap is setup, I think it only really works best of you have quite a few spacers, either above or below the stem.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
techno

Post by techno »

firestarter wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:46 pm I got a custom one done by beerbabe and even got a little velcro opening for my charging cable to go in, highly recommended
I have one of these too. Definitely recommended by me too.
drjon

Post by drjon »

thanks for the DeWidget props - true, not always 100% neccessary - some bags have pretty reasonable stability - but even then, it can help stop a moving, often anodised, part rubbing on a sometimes dirty, gritty strap. some folk are not fussed on wear and tear, but in some cases you could wear well into a headset cup in one round of the cairngorm loop. DeWidget solves that. :-)~