Stupid ideas you can't shake.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Stupid ideas you can't shake.

Post by RIP »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad obsession-deflating news KT - Hunstanton station closed in 1969 :sad: :wink: . Apart from that it sounds like a brilliant stupid idea :-bd . Kings Lynn'd do you of course. I bailed out there for my 1989 Peddars Way jape, returning from Thetford station. I think I camped in the garden of The Ostrich after faaaarrrrr too many beers :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I have this route that won't stop gnawing away at me. It involves an anti-clockwise circuit of Spain starting from home and riding across to the Atlantic coast at Bilbao then across the Camino de Santiago to Compostella, south along the Via de la Plata to Sevilla then back along the Mediterranean on the Via Augusta Roman Road. Probably the best part of 4,000km and an amazing way to see unspoilt Spain together with the iconic cities of Burgos, Bilbao, Santiago de Compostella, Salamanca, Mérida, Sevilla Granada and Valencia. Can't see me doing it on my own, anyone got 6 weeks burning a hole in their bucket list?
Dean

Post by Dean »

K1100T wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:34 pm I get totally obsessed by things for a few weeks, then they generally pass. This one though, still gestating... Get the train to Hunstanton, then cycle to Eastbourne, via The Peddar's Way, Icknield Way Trail, The Ridgeway, King Alfred's Way and The South Downs Way.
I have been considering Weston-super-Mare to Hunstanton via Winchester but I have been told the western end of the route can get very overgrown in summer.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:15 pm Do you ever get an idea in your head to do something but a week or two later it's past and you're thinking about something else instead?

Do you ever get those that simply refuse to go away? They might not be right at the top of your thinking pile but a little nudge has them skipping to the top and no matter what, you just can't get rid of the idea completely?

Mine's the Colorado 14er's route. Never visited Colorado but I reckon I'd like it. :wink:
I love Colorado and this sounds like a great idea, but the $-£ exchange rate is crippling at the moment. So even if it's feasible, I worry the costs of international travel may well put it out of reach for a while.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Hadn't seen the 14ers route before. Looks suitably daft Stu. :-bd

Paul's Peaks borders route looks like it could be fairly easily modified into a mtb route...

Mine's the Sierra High Route. Been nagging away at me for years now. Sadly I think I'm now getting to the stage where my ankle wouldn't take that sort of sustained beating.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I had a stupid idea while out riding this evening, so I thought I’d share it here and possibly bring it closer to happening. :-bd

I was looking up through the branches of a sturdy oak and I thought ... wouldn’t it be great to spend the night sleeping up there. Right up in the high branches.

So, has anyone done this? If so, how did you make it work? I’m sure with some careful thought and planning it should be possible without waking up dead on the forest floor.

Help me BB bivy brains.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Charliecres wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:18 pm I had a stupid idea while out riding this evening, so I thought I’d share it here and possibly bring it closer to happening. :-bd

I was looking up through the branches of a sturdy oak and I thought ... wouldn’t it be great to spend the night sleeping up there. Right up in the high branches.

So, has anyone done this? If so, how did you make it work? I’m sure with some careful thought and planning it should be possible without waking up dead on the forest floor.

Help me BB bivy brains.
Hammock?
Failing that some lord of the rings-esque wooden platform which may raise some local objections so mind and pick one in the middle of a very large forest.

In January I did sleep under a very large sitka that had self seeded from a nearby plantation and it was a very pleasant experience as it was sheltered, dry and home to several birds whose dawn chorus was a great alarm clock.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Yes, I was thinking a hammock would need to be involved. I’m not an experienced hanger (right term?) so not sure how you’d get in/out without risking a plummet. Some low-risk, low-level practice is called for, I guess.

It’s that idea of being up there with the birds, in among the branches, with a whole new perspective on the world that appeals.
Boab

Post by Boab »

RIP wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:34 pm Sorry to be the bearer of bad obsession-deflating news KT - Hunstanton station closed in 1969 :sad: :wink: . Apart from that it sounds like a brilliant stupid idea :-bd . Kings Lynn'd do you of course. I bailed out there for my 1989 Peddars Way jape, returning from Thetford station. I think I camped in the garden of The Ostrich after faaaarrrrr too many beers :smile: .
I hadn't actually looked into how to get to Hunstanton, if I'm being honest. The original plan was to leave the house, cycle 1 mile to the Icknield Way Trail and go from there. However, the thought of starting with a wheel in the sea and finishing with a wheel in the sea, has some appeal. Plus the easy joining of the Icknield Way and Peddars Way, means that it has to be done.

I could get the train to Kings Lynn an cycle round the coast, or I could just cycle there up the Icknield Way and Peddars Way, then turn round... 🤷‍♂️
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Lots of things enter my mind and should really write stuff down as I'm a bit forgetful so my other half tells me, some stuff I forget forever some stuff comes back.

~X(
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Boab

Post by Boab »

Leerowe76 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:01 pm Lots of things enter my mind and should really write stuff down as I'm a bit forgetful so my other half tells me, some stuff I forget forever some stuff comes back.
I started a Trello board with ideas once. Each card was a trip and contained links and thoughts, each list was then trips in different stages of gestation. Meant I could go back and add stuff as and when I remembered about it, or found out more info. Locked myself out of my account now though... 🤦‍♂️
faustus

Post by faustus »

Charliecres wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:18 pm I had a stupid idea while out riding this evening, so I thought I’d share it here and possibly bring it closer to happening. :-bd

Help me BB bivy brains.
Sounds a great idea, and it'd be all about the camp and not the ride. Internet suggests you might need 150ft of climbing rope, and a portaledge...and climbing skills!
Would this go in a frame bag? https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/black-diam ... 5122157890
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Long stiry but it involves cargo netting strung between a number of trees and securely attached - possibly 6 m x6m so pretty big

i would love to say it was comfortable and a great night sleep but it was not - even with a mat you could feel the cargo net underneath and i amcertain you will want to do it on a very still night,
if you do it i strongly advise sleeping with a head torch on your head and unable to fall off when you wriggle- you probably dont want to hav to get up for a piss in the night either - but the holes of the carg net were at least useful for that [number 1 did not try it with a number 2!!:

I suspect a hammock would be more comfortable-no idea about danger i know nothing here as it was all set up by a tree surgeon who knew what he was doing,
He had the same desire as you did - to the best of my knowledge he has not repeated this and neither have I - interesting place and way to get pissed mind!
EDIT: no idea how much rope was involved but it seemed a lot to me [ never climbed] and it was certainly not portable- unless you have a car ! 2m x2 m might do bt there is not a lot of wriggle room there and comfort will be an issue
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I have climbing gear and experience plus a basic DD hammock. What could possibly go wrong ...

I’m going to start scoping suitable trees and practising stuff with the hammock at low level.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Dibs on the Stooge :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

Charliecres wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:33 pm Yes, I was thinking a hammock would need to be involved. I’m not an experienced hanger (right term?) so not sure how you’d get in/out without risking a plummet. Some low-risk, low-level practice is called for, I guess.

It’s that idea of being up there with the birds, in among the branches, with a whole new perspective on the world that appeals.
https://www.tentsile.com/collections/2- ... tree-tents
FLV

Post by FLV »

Potentially a silly idea, but I cant shake the Colorado Trail from my head.

I've reconciled the positives and negatives of the race vs ITT / Tour style or the going alone / with friends either.

Thinking about, its not actually that silly an idea so perhaps I should go for it...
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

FLV wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:53 pm
Charliecres wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:33 pm Yes, I was thinking a hammock would need to be involved. I’m not an experienced hanger (right term?) so not sure how you’d get in/out without risking a plummet. Some low-risk, low-level practice is called for, I guess.

https://www.tentsile.com/collections/2- ... tree-tents
Hmmm, they look comfy but I think I might go for using what I have.
Lazarus wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:55 pm Dibs on the Stooge :-bd
Touched by your concern :-bd

Actually, maybe I need to think about hoisting it up after me :lol:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Leerowe76 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:01 pm Lots of things enter my mind and should really write stuff down as I'm a bit forgetful so my other half tells me, some stuff I forget forever some stuff comes back.

~X(
This!!!

Have loads of ideas but very little time, so most get ignored!

Need to do a trekking holiday, Iceland or Norway (well both but will have to pick one first)

Want a campervan - not a silly big thing but something for day trips and quick overnights

Desperate to get back to the ridges of snowdonia

Some running events that I’ve forgot about :oops:

Everest base camp has been on the list...

Mont Blanc too

Cycle tour to Turkey from home

Cycle trip across USA

Still need to do the Welsh 3000ers - had pencilled it in for this year but that’s looking unlikely

Etc etc

Anyways going back to Stu, just do it :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

This is another one that's been bugging me for a few years, Round Cambridge the Hard Way. Might give it a bash next week...

Last edited by Boab on Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

htrider wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:10 pm
Otherwise mostly route related - taking the fatbike from Oldeshoremore to Cape Wrath up the coastline. I know it will be a total mission but the thought of the scenery and isolation is un-shakeable.
It's an vaguely exciting part of the world Phil, one of the places I want to head for once lockdown is lifted. We were up there last year and walked out to Sandwood bay and onto Strathcailleach bothy, might be worth checking out if you're in the area and you could follow the burn back down to the coast.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Stupid Idea for me ......... will all depend on trying to get a 2 month pass from the wife.......

If it's granted in early June 2022 or 2023 fly to Chicago, then on to Banff to ride the Tour Divide route but not racing it, I'd aim to start a week before the official start and limit my riding to around 80 miles a day.
By leaving early at a non race pace I'll get to the first snow around the same time as the racers.

Take around 35 days to complete it, then get a lift North East to ride the RAGBRIA week long piss up ride across Iowa before flying home from Chicago.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Blair512 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:57 pm
htrider wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:10 pm
Otherwise mostly route related - taking the fatbike from Oldeshoremore to Cape Wrath up the coastline. I know it will be a total mission but the thought of the scenery and isolation is un-shakeable.
It's an vaguely exciting part of the world Phil, one of the places I want to head for once lockdown is lifted. We were up there last year and walked out to Sandwood bay and onto Strathcailleach bothy, might be worth checking out if you're in the area and you could follow the burn back down to the coast.
Alright Blair, not heard from you for a while. Aye I'd like to go to strathcailleach as I've just read 'A Highland Hermit' by James Carron about the guy who lived there for many years. September mebbes when the midges have receded a bit
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:15 pm Do you ever get an idea in your head to do something but a week or two later it's past and you're thinking about something else instead?

Do you ever get those that simply refuse to go away? They might not be right at the top of your thinking pile but a little nudge has them skipping to the top and no matter what, you just can't get rid of the idea completely?

Mine's the Colorado 14er's route. Never visited Colorado but I reckon I'd like it.  :wink:
Constantly. I've a huge list of things in the back and front of my head. The ideas are constantly fluctuating about, front to back, top and low on the list.
Eventually, I jump at one more often than not that was low on the list for a while. I give the lack of motivation a middle finger, save money and go for it. There's a reason for the initial spark after all.
I try to condition my body, do the homework (route planning, figure provision options, getting there and back, prepare gear and test it etc.) and eventually follow what once was just a vage idea and find myself exhilarated by the experience.

Bigger trips (multi week/month) mostly follow me through everyday life for years until they get 'done' or fade away (for a few very good reasons).

In some cases a trip needs specific experience. In gaining experience I may find that the original idea for the trip is flawed and needs to be altered, so I end up correcting it.

I too have been thinking about the Colorado 14. Yet it's low on the list. Since my girlfriend has been talking about hiking the Colorado Trail and having friends in Lyon, there's already a rough idea for a longer stay to combine the three things.

I absolutely can't see what's stupid about the Colorado 14. Looks like a lovely way to spend holidays to me.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

My stupid idea is the tour divide, even before I knew what Bikepacking was I’d seen it and it captured me. But now would I given the chance? Probably not, I’d miss out on humbolt, giant sequoias, redwoods and all of norcal, Yellowstone etc l. I’d go there then Baja California.
I don’t think an idea being stupid should be any impediment to making it reality, I got interested in windsurfing while I was ‘resting’ so I bought a board, stuck it in my shed, saved a little, bought a mast then a boom etc. I found a lake in the middle of winter which surprisingly had a few other‘ stupid’ people still sailing. We had great fun, ice cream headaches and barbecues!
Same with skydiving, my brother and I got a silly idea and posted a cheque in Northolt, I still remember the sound as the envelope landed in the
empty post box,five years later I was doing canopy
relative Work with a five times world champion.

Silly is what makes life interesting, you ARE going to die, could be today, might be a decade later than you’d expect but it you think tomorrow, then silly ideas become imperative, I’m trying to fit in much silly stuff just in case :wink:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark