Newbie Norwich Norfolk

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

wishbone

Newbie Norwich Norfolk

Post by wishbone »

Imagelomo gear by peter harris, on Flickr
Hi,
Well, insert seems to have worked! You might well guess that this is my practice set up. So this is my Felt DD70 fattie with bags wedged in and source spinner back pack. I bought the fattie on a whim and love it. Fitted a bluto fork because I use this as my trail bike. I have ridden with the seat bag as shown and it does not fish tail too much. So all dressed up and nowhere to go. Just need to get up and do my first overnight or weekender . Comments welcome (I,m reasonably thick skinned).

Cheers
Peter
johnnystorm

Re: Newbie Norwich Norfolk

Post by johnnystorm »

Bottle cage lowering doofer might be handy for your frame bag fitment. Or ditch the cage altogether and pop your bottle in a stem-cell type bag?

Whereabouts in Norfolk are you? I'm just across the border in N. Suffolk. :-bd
Scud

Post by Scud »

I'm not too far from you, in between Swaffham and Fakenham, i also organise fat bike get-togethers usually at Wells/ Holkham area, there is a group of us that bivi riding out from this way either on fatties or mountain / gravel bikes. Will have to let you know when we can try and organise another fatty get together.
wishbone

Post by wishbone »

Hi, Thanks for the replies.
I,m in Thorpe st Andrew, Norwich and would happily join another or group for a trip out. I have watched so many you tube videos. I cant decide on a tent or bivy bag I have a pop up but have,nt figured out how to to carry it (just kidding). So yes, any invites would be great.

Peter
matt_brk

Post by matt_brk »

There's a facebook group "Norfolk MicroAdventures" which can be useful for seeing where people are using for trips around our fine city. I've done Winterton dunes as an overnighter, Burnham Overy seems to be a favourite in the group that I'll hopefully get in later in the year.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

matt_brk wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:04 am There's a facebook group "Norfolk MicroAdventures" which can be useful for seeing where people are using for trips around our fine city. I've done Winterton dunes as an overnighter, Burnham Overy seems to be a favourite in the group that I'll hopefully get in later in the year.
Err, you aren't Matt Bark are you? If so I think we did our MIAS together...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I cant decide on a tent or bivy bag
Gear choices like this are just personal choice and what works for you rather than there being a definitive answer
Plenty of threads on here discuss this to help you decide what works for you
matt_brk

Post by matt_brk »

johnnystorm wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:02 pm
matt_brk wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:04 am There's a facebook group "Norfolk MicroAdventures" which can be useful for seeing where people are using for trips around our fine city. I've done Winterton dunes as an overnighter, Burnham Overy seems to be a favourite in the group that I'll hopefully get in later in the year.
With Adam down at Thetford/Eaton Vale?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

matt_brk wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:17 pm
johnnystorm wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:02 pm
With Adam down at Thetford/Eaton Vale?
Yes! :-bd
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

another off topic reply but I also live in Norwich. if wild camps are on the cards i would be up for tagging along. if they include beer so much the better.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

I don't personally own a fat bike nor have I ever ridden one, but do you really need a suspension fork up front with the tyres ?? I'm guessing its all about the terrian your riding right
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Leerowe76 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:22 am I don't personally own a fat bike nor have I ever ridden one, but do you really need a suspension fork up front with the tyres ?? I'm guessing its all about the terrian your riding right
I find that fat bike tyres are peerless when it comes to ironing out "ripples", "stutters" and small pebbley bumps, and pretty awful at dealing with big bumps.
wishbone

Post by wishbone »

Re: Suspension, It came with rigid forks with cage mounts and it rode well enough. It was fine at high lodge and Brandon park The fat tires smooth out small bumps, but with too much volume the ride can be bouncy. I fitted the bluto with 80 mm travel just to take out the jarring when you drop on the front wheel. I've only ever owned 26" and this is a 26 er.. not that I have a preference.
This has a longer wheel base than my old bikes and comes up quite large for a medium frame. I,m still running tubes as fixing a small puncture is the same experience except unless your carrying a track pump its about 400 hand pumps just to get the air volume in. I carry co2 cartridges for that reason.

For the identity question ...its not me if you were asking.
wishbone

Post by wishbone »

dnrc wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:55 pm another off topic reply but I also live in Norwich. if wild camps are on the cards i would be up for tagging along. if they include beer so much the better.
My sentiments entirely.. although not essential :-bd