Warm nights

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Warm nights

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you were heading out for a quick bivvy and the overnight temperature wasn't forecast to drop below 11C, with light (<5mph) winds and no rain, what kit would you take? I'm thinking mat, bivvy bag, a warm jacket and a hat might be sufficient.
Al

Re: Warm nights

Post by Al »

How are you going to make tea?
:shock:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

If you were heading out for a quick bivvy and the overnight temperature wasn't forecast to drop below 11C, with light (<5mph) winds and no rain, what kit would you take? I'm thinking mat, bivvy bag, a warm jacket and a hat might be sufficient.
....and a sleeping bag. I've used up all of my not being cosy tokens :grin:
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

In those conditions a warm jacket is not multi use as it would be too warm to wear as a jacket. Sleeping bags/quilts are much better at keeping you comfortable while sleeping. I've tried it when a fair bit colder than 11 degrees and got uncomfortably cold bum area and a disturbed sleep, but a 2 hr 30 sleep all the same.

If you're curious then give it a go as sleep is a personal thing.

Obviously for the sleep to ride, long hours in the saddle crew it would satisfy the need for a couple of hours shut eye, but in the exact conditions described they would also possibly drop the bivi bag.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Single night, not too far. Not much different really.

Shorts and tee. Lightest jacket i can lay my hands on, matt, lightest quilt i had so i can hang out the side of it, borah style bivvy bag.

Brewing up kit.

May see some dew in the morning, but you dry it at home later.

Maybe throw a tarp up to protect from that morning moisture (its a bit of a pet hate type thing for me.)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Given Colin's location and the suggested temperatures then a bivy bag would be essential. :wink: :shock:

I'd take: mat; bivy bag; sleeping bag/quilt. The bag/quilt only needs to be lightweight, summer/race weight. Brew kit of alcohol stove and mug.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

whitestone wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:42 am Given Colin's location and the suggested temperatures then a bivy bag would be essential. :wink: :shock:

I'd take: mat; bivy bag; sleeping bag/quilt. The bag/quilt only needs to be lightweight, summer/race weight. Brew kit of alcohol
Fixed it for you....

I’d still had to take a sleeping bag. Started with a merino wool blanket last night in bed as it was warm but mid way through the night, I had to revert back to my quilt. Would be a long night on a hill without one in my opinion
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cool. I'll take the Cumulus 250.

As Bob says, bivvy bag isn't really optional. I'll probably take the TiGoat Kestrel which has a small, built-in, mesh panel. This isn't just for the midge, annoying though they are, this is also tick protection.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I tried this a couple of years ago, a warm summer night, super-light kit on my SS, just a bivi bag and a light jacket and hat, usual mat. Didn't sleep too well, something about the lack of feeling like I had a normal cover on I think. Wasn't cold though. Next time I'll use a light quilt and no bivi bag, kip under trees to avoid condensation. It's only dark for a few hours really, much more so where you are, so 3-4 hours nap might be reasonable anyway.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Out tomorrow night so I'll let you know....
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Me too
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Was quite warm when I crashed out but early hours until dawn was chilly. Cumulus 150 was just enough at one point.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Air temps here dropped to 5c and there was a wee breeze too. I'd taken the Cumulus 250 and the TiGoat Kestrel which worked out about right with my Prism jacket on. It didn't take long to warm up this morning.