Help please (before I get the big file out!)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Al

Re: Help please (before I get the big file out!)

Post by Al »

I’ll have a think. Might put the Reba back on at some point so would prob look to find a spare end cap if im going to do that. The washer is only 1mm so hopefully not too critical.

Spare stans endcap anyone...?! :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Just move the washer to the other side when you fit the Rebas.

(and then re-dish the wheel again :lol: )
Al

Post by Al »

I’ve got nightmare visions of them having the exact opposite problem in reverse and ending up shimming rotors.

I miss v-brakes, non of this nonsense. If they weren’t aligned you could fix it just by bending the springs back....happy days
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

This is of no help, except to say that I'm having some hope calipers fitted to my Ti Camino with King hubs and am in the same predicament. My LBS is contacting Hope to see what solution they suggest.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Richpips wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:37 pm This is of no help, except to say that I'm having some hope calipers fitted to my Ti Camino with King hubs and am in the same predicament. My LBS is contacting Hope to see what solution they suggest.
Frame or forks?
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Frame or forks?
Frame.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Hmm. Not an easy change then.
Al

Post by Al »

:-bd
Attachments
2389AD8C-705A-43D2-B436-4D9A443E9A08.jpeg
(95.5 KiB) Downloaded 573 times
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

:-bd

Glad you got it sorted. Just skimmed through it all, not I see them on your bike. Goof job!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I had exactly the same issue with my x2 caliper on a prong fork. I had to file the slot slightly in the caliper. Your's looks slightly further out than mine was. I use an E4 caliper now.

The x2 also has the casting for the bleed nipple in a position that clashes with the frame on the salsa alternator dropouts so I had to use a 180 disc to move it clear.

Despite this I still wouldn't use another brand of brake. Once you manage to get them to fit they're worth it.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Al

Post by Al »

That’s interesting Sean - so you think the callipers could be the issue? I assume from what you said the e4 didn’t cause the same problems?

I’ve got an old mono caliper which mounts direct onto the alternator dropout so no issue at that end (other than having to space it out with shim washers when I change the wheel which is hideously fiddly).
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Al wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:45 am That’s interesting Sean - so you think the callipers could be the issue? I assume from what you said the e4 didn’t cause the same problems?
It think it's probably just bad luck on how the tolerances stack up. It also was no better with a Hope hub than with the SP dyno hub. I didn't have the problem with the X2 with either hub when it was with the Fox 32s I had on the bike previously.

The E4 fitted ok but with the E4 the pads stick out the bottom a tiny amount and this was catching on the adapter and stopping the outside pad retracting. Once I filled a bit off that it worked fine.

All parts have a tolerance and it's probably just bad luck that the brake mount on the fork is the maximum allowed towards the centre and the disc mount is the maximum towards the outside?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Having tidied the shed as one of my lock-down projects I knew exactly where the X2 I took off the front was.

You can see I didn't have to elongate the hole by much and looking at it it appears that one end was further out than the other (top hole in the pic) which points to a lack of accuracy in the placement of the mounts on the fork?
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

I had a similar issue and ended up turning down down of the endcaps which solved the problem. However when measuring the endcaps to decide what needed to be taken off I noticed that not all of them were coming up the same width. And in fact just swapping sides would have solved the problem. But as sean_iow says, I think it's just small tolerances all adding up and coming out on the wrong side of what's good.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Richpips wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:37 pm This is of no help, except to say that I'm having some hope calipers fitted to my Ti Camino with King hubs and am in the same predicament. My LBS is contacting Hope to see what solution they suggest.
I've seen the pictures of the finished bike, very nice :-bd Did Hope come back with a solution/answer? Just wondering if there is a better solution than a file for future reference.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I've seen the pictures of the finished bike, very nice :-bd Did Hope come back with a solution/answer? Just wondering if there is a better solution than a file for future reference.
Sean, the solution was adding a washer to the axle rather than doing any filing.