GBDURO goes from self-supported to self-sufficient

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

restlessshawn

Re: GBDURO goes from self-supported to self-sufficient

Post by restlessshawn »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:30 am I'll just point out that the position is different in Scotland where the Government is taking a slightly slower approach. A number of cyclists travelling the length of the UK and turning up in some of the local communities will attract the wrong sort of attention.
Exactly, I guess we'd need to be in phase 3 before this would really be acceptable and I can't see that by 1st August
jameso

Post by jameso »

I'll just point out that the position is different in Scotland where the Government is taking a slightly slower approach.
Yes, sensibly I think. As far as the event goes it may depend on how aligned the country is by August, tbh had in mind an assumption it all would be by then. If not, you'd have to respect the more cautious approach of Scotland or Wales.

The third phase of easing inc hospitality was said to be something like no earlier than early July but who knows. Even then / when the govt decide we're at that point it's only an option and doesn't mean it's right.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just had another thought - loo roll. There ain't any public loos open, no cafes or pubs so you are on the dig a hole and fill it back in again routine for the whole route. Not exactly appropriate in many sections of the route plus you've also got to add a few loo rolls to your already large load out.

Nice try chaps but I'd say it constitutes pishing in the wind...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

If you're meant to be completely self-sufficient does that mean they want you to carry all the water for entire trip too?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

No nor do they expect you to have made the bike entirely yourself.
it just means no commerical re supply/outside assitance or any re supply.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Phew, :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:03 am If you're meant to be completely self-sufficient does that mean they want you to carry all the water for entire trip too?

Maybe you could use something like a traffic cone strapped to your back as a water collection device?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I was thinking more
whitestone wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:46 am
PaulB2 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:03 am If you're meant to be completely self-sufficient does that mean they want you to carry all the water for entire trip too?

Maybe you could use something like a traffic cone strapped to your back as a water collection device?
I was thinking more some form of upside down umbrella glued to the top of my helmet and a long straw
jameso

Post by jameso »

you've also got to add a few loo rolls to your already large load out.
In a 7-10 day ride? No wonder there was a shortage and hoarding a couple of months ago, if people use it at that rate :smile:
New line of stem cell bags? The WP-TP holder.. gotta keep it dry. Discussions of the 'Nepal method' alternative and pros-cons of added water needs vs lower TP consumption? A direct traffic cone water collector bidet product with a Viz style advert? So much potential.
(sorry... toilet humour has clearly been lacking for a while here among other things (edit-'here' as in for me, at home etc - not 'on here') )

Edit, and I missed it first time, "he said load-out.. "
Last edited by jameso on Wed May 27, 2020 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm not rising to the bait :wink: . You've no idea how difficult that is though :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

jameso wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:58 am
you've also got to add a few loo rolls to your already large load out.
In a 7-10 day ride? No wonder there was a shortage and hoarding a couple of months ago, if people use it at that rate :smile:
New line of stem cell bags? The WP-TP holder.. gotta keep it dry. Discussions of the 'Nepal method' alternative and pros-cons of added water needs vs lower TP consumption? A direct traffic cone water collector bidet product with a Viz style advert? So much potential.
(sorry... toilet humour has clearly been lacking for a while here among other things)

Edit, and I missed it first time, "he said load-out.. "
:lol:
Joking apart, my digestive system seems to go into overdrive on a multi-day ITT so it would defo need a good supply.....
Re water - Filter and drink your own wee?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:25 pm

I'm not rising to the bait :wink: . You've no idea how difficult that is though :grin: .
Not even the special model with the built-in sand filtration system and reflective safety stripe? :grin:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Come on Reg you know you want to, you could knock one up tomorrow :grin:
What's the worst than can happen?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Gosh, they would hit the wall hard.

I want to see this.
I like watching a good carnage.

But it's not going to happen.

They're humans. They'd all cheat.

Also, I too find it a not so good idea given the times and location.

But yeah, fun going self sufficient.
I love the purity of complete self dependency, exposure and isolation. Really do.

30+ days

2 x 7 days

It's amazing what terrain can be traversed in fair 'speed' with the right bike (and rider), no matter if you're carrying 5 or 20 days worth of food.
After all, human + bicycle are the most efficient compared to any land animal. Any.
RIP

Post by RIP »

trob6 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:52 pm

Come on Reg you know you want to, you could knock one up tomorrow :grin:
Ohhh..... so long as it's recorded that I resisted this :wink: . This thread is destined to keep coming back like those Andrew Neil + Bimbo photos in Private Eye:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11388
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Just re-read the cone thread an I see it was my idea to pipe the cone to a water bottle for top-ups :smile:

It's like I could see into the future, I must have been rubbing my crystal ball... luckily some more Bum Butter came in today's post to stop it getting sore :wink:

Back on topic, briefly, it shouldn't be too hard to carry enough food these days, they used to set off into the unknown 100 years ago on bikes and have to carry all their food before the Spar shop made it to the sub-Saharan Africa? The added bonus of carrying food is that every day the load gets lighter. I guess it depends on how much you are prepared to suffer. Most dehydrated meals can be re-hydrated with cold water if you leave them long enough, fill in the morning, strap on the bars to warm slightly in the sun, eat in the evening.

Not sure it's my idea of fun. Due to getting out of sync with the opening times I did 2 days on the HT550 without hot food and that was enough for me.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

a game 'who can carry the most huel/soylant/spiz wins' anyone?
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

:shock:
:o
:lol:
An exercise in desperation.
Good luck to them...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Has anyone noticed how little surface water there is about at present? Even here where every valley has a stream or river, many are nearly dry already ... that lead me to think, given that water could be in very short supply, taking dehydrated food could be a very bad idea, which means having to carry heavier / bulkier 'wet' food, which in itself still isn't a great idea.

Anyway, can't help thinking had they left things a few more weeks before making any decisions, things might have changed enough to allow the usual self supported guidelines to stand. Could they retract and return to the standard format or is that just p1ssing folk about too much?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:25 pm Has anyone noticed how little surface water there is about at present?
I cant really remember us having any significant rain over the past 3 months?
Reservoirs are half full around here.

Doubt they have thought about it really.
We have chosen to announce this rule set now (22 May 2020), rather than continue to wait and see how the situation develops for two reasons:
- The uncertainty caused by holding off making a decision will continue to cause angst all-round. We need to adapt the original rules and we only want to do this once. Therefore we have decided to adopt a strict approach that can be followed largely independent from how the situation unfolds from this point on.
- The self-sufficient approach requires riders to invest weeks of preparation to carry out research and adapt their bikes, bodies, and minds, for a ride that now has a very different personality. Hence announcing the rule change now means riders have sufficient time to prepare.
Seems like a knee jerk reaction to make sure that the event ran this year.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It was the driest May since they kept keeping records in 1862!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/late ... ter-144731
in ideal conditions (hot and humid) the creation will be able to produce half a litre of water from an hour of cycling.
Ideal then!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I made something a few years ago that should do the trick.

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd

composite

Post by composite »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:55 pm I made something a few years ago that should do the trick.

You could recycle water with that too.