Looking ahead - what are you looking forward to?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Re: Looking ahead - what are you looking forward to?

Post by FLV »

For me, just heading out on a trip. Packed up with days of living on the bike ahead of me. Doesn't have to be too long, 4,5, 8 days :grin:
Be nice if the weather was ok, be nice to go somewhere pretty, or even somewhere new!
I had lots of events planned into my diary, but now I just want to get out on some trips, might do events, might do ITT routes, might just go do a bit of touring.

I'm undergoing a minor lifestyle change which is working fairly well, but am now considering a major one. Still in the considering stages as I need to be sure its not a midlife crisis before committing too deep to it :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm undergoing a minor lifestyle change which is working fairly well, but am now considering a major one. Still in the considering stages as I need to be sure its not a midlife crisis before committing too deep to it
I had mine at 33 Dave, probably the best thing I ever did. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm still having mine at 61! Embrace and enjoy....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Lockdown has had a funny effect on me.

At first I hated it and working from home was like a form of torture.

However, as time has passed, I have got used to it. Some organised rides I would have taken part in have been cancelled and our road trip to Norway and Sweden has not happened.

I try to ride most work days, either before or after work, with the longest ride at about 25 miles.

My wife and I have had fun discovering and exploring the multitude of alleyways and steps that are littered around our town on foot, so that has been nice and something new.

In terms of looking forward? The rescheduled WRT and to go on our road trip in the van and see what's out there.

Si
FLV

Post by FLV »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:53 am
I'm undergoing a minor lifestyle change which is working fairly well, but am now considering a major one. Still in the considering stages as I need to be sure its not a midlife crisis before committing too deep to it
I had mine at 33 Dave, probably the best thing I ever did. :-bd
Indeed. You inspire me Stu :lol:

I dont know exactly what I am talking about just yet, just that it's something, and will take some financial planning, and that I had better get on with it :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I did actually have a very fast red sportscar for a while too ... oh it was fun and the nearest thing I've experienced to a bike on 4 wheels that wasn't a racing car. However, best rule out any notion of manny fagnet as I discovered it takes more than a car and a clean T shirt. :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:33 am it takes more than a car and a clean T shirt
Do tell. I could do with a few tips. My success with nice ladies in Spars or behind bars (not that sort, oh I don't know though) seems to have dropped off recently.

Oh, and car pics please of course.

This?

Or more this type of thing?

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It hadn't occurred to me that Stu had a previous occupation as a hairdresser.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do tell. I could do with a few tips.
No, I've no tips Reg. Simply that I was very disappointed to discover that said car and clean T shirt didn't cut it. I failed to add anything further as I couldn't think of anything other than what I already had.
psling

Post by psling »

This was my mid-life crisis when I was about, mmm, 20 years old :-bd

We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
slarge

Post by slarge »

So, I'm resurrecting this thread.

Life continues, lockdown persists in various forms throughout the world, events have been cancelled or cut short, and next year's calendar looks a bit scant whilst organisers wait to see what the New Year brings.

We went to the pub a few times in between lockdown's, had a few group rides with the local club, and started ramping up riding and started running again (a lot slower than I once was!).

What's the plan for next year?

I think a GB Duro might be on the calendar, or if that doesn't happen a Great North Trail. Plus still got to organise a Peak ride with Karl and some from here. Plus a bit of local exploring (7 counties circuit of Warwickshire, all 35 "hills" in Warwickshire (there's probably more but in the wider context a hill in Warwickshire isn't very big!)). And if races reappear a couple of 12 hour races. Might even have another crack at the BB300 if circumstances allow.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Timely resurrection.

I've got HT550 to get done then an exciting year as I'm working on a follow up to Great British Bike Rides so have a ton of routes planned nationwide but sadly roadie focused.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My plans for next year are unfortunately pretty much the same plans as I didn't get to do this year with the added excitement of building up my fitness from a low level. I'm hoping to build up some mileage in my legs through veloviewer square hunting and then plan a couple 3-4 day trips out for the year, probably from my doorstep. Also planning a n+1 build of a rigid mountain bike once the finances align since Covid interfered with my stooge scrambler plans.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Excellent thread resurrection!

I'm hoping to do some of the things I'd planned for 2020, but who knows!

If I can fit enough hill running into the spring, then a Bob Graham round in June is high on the list - either solo or with one or 2 other fools.

Taking my kids (either together or one at a time) out on mini-bikepacking trips. Just trying to work out how to fit all the gear onto the tandem at the moment,

More commuting to work by bike

Peak 200, should have done it by now as it passes within about 2 miles of my doorstep.

Some kind of silly local run - maybe dark peak boundary or bradfield boundary - over the winter. Been offered a place on the 2021 spine challenger race but can't see that going ahead sadly, so this would be a good substitute.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Looking forward to getting back to regular riding now my knee seems to be on the mend.
I've signed up for the Great British Escapades in the spring which should provide some motivation. Remains to be seen if that'll be my first and last event :grin:
Beyond that I think so much depends on the effectiveness of Covid vaccines and that there aren't too many anti-vax f##kwits to scupper its success.
I'd like to think I can resume my world trip which barely got started this year but i honestly can't see that happening until 2022
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Feeling cautiously very slightly optimistic given the stuff about the vaccine. I fully expect the various govts in the UK to foul up administering it so its off to Germany or Austria for me as they will doubtless execute the admin faultlessly given it was developed in Germany.....

I suspect that restrictions will change so that if you haven't had it you are excluded (but looking on the bright side, those who have had it might get badges :-bd ) so being middle aged, fairly healthy and non-essential, therefore being the last to get it; I'm not holding my breath. So I'm not planning anything, I'll take it as it comes. Funnily enough that's how I always approach a new year.....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm looking forward to the arrival of my new pup sometime next month but I'm not pinning any hopes on the New Year ... that's not meant to sound gloomy, simply pragmatic and an attempt not to raise any hopes. :wink:
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

The only real I have hopes for next year is another crack at the big bear sometime early summer, as for vaccines , still a bit sceptical, that it’s being pushed through, not anti vaccine but rather see a bit of the longer term effects than just jump at getting a job then getting further complications 5 years down the line , seems to be the older I get the more fussy I am about what chemicals I put in myself
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:33 pm I'm looking forward to the arrival of my new pup sometime next month but I'm not pinning any hopes on the New Year ... that's not meant to sound gloomy, simply pragmatic and an attempt not to raise any hopes. :wink:
My crystal ball says you have an epic January ahead of you (well at least one weekend of it)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My crystal ball says you have an epic January ahead of you (well at least one weekend of it)
Yeah but this thread is called 'what are you looking forward to'.
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Anything really! I started a new job last week doing something totally bonkers!

A couple of weeks ago I had a nice commute to work along the canal, 16 miles each way if I fancied it, and averaged around 14000 steps a day. Now I have a fancy pants new and exciting job, it is on Teams all day every day, no ride to work, no-one around and last week I did an average of 4000 steps a day, and no, I couldn't do anymore as my first meeting is always just before 8am, and the last meeting is always around 8pm (although hopefully that is changing as of today)!

So I am looking forward to Brexit being done.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I'm looking forward to going to France for a few months with the excuse that I'm writing another book.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:33 pm I'm looking forward to the arrival of my new pup sometime next month but I'm not pinning any hopes on the New Year ... that's not meant to sound gloomy, simply pragmatic and an attempt not to raise any hopes. :wink:
What puppy you getting Stu?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:02 pm
Yeah but this thread is called 'what are you looking forward to'.
So you're not actually looking forward to that period of your life :o :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What puppy you getting Stu?
A Deerhound Steve.