What sealant....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

What sealant....

Post by fatbikephil »

Sorry, I know this is a bit like asking what tyre but I'm at my wits end here (which isn't very far)
When I first went tubeless in '15 I used squirt which seemed to work well. I finally ran out last year after in2dust closed down. I'd tried stans and joes during this time but never found them that good. I then tried OKO but its too thick and you need loads for it to flow round the tyre. Plus it didn't always work....

Caffelatex stuff works OK but doesn't last 5 minutes. Squirt lasted for ages - I recently checked the stuff in the Krampus which was 4 years old, it needed topping up but was fine.

Next try was Mucoff as it got a good review on bike radar. It turned out to be a very expensive version of the OKO ie very thick and....sh*te, Even tiny holes wouldn't seal. On reading reviews on CRC several agreed with me i.e it was rubbish

So I then bit the bullet and splashed out for the new squirt seal. Its different from the old stuff (!) very runny and doesn't have the stringy bits the old stuff used to have. You get a wee jar of plastic beads to help seal bigger holes.... but. Its also sh*te, not sealing a nail hole that the old stuff would have sealed with you noticing.

So.. any recommendations? I've not tried orange seal as it costs a fortune and I've heard it needs replacing regularly
ScotRoutes

Re: What sealant....

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've only ever used Stans. It just seems to work. However. I also have very few punctures so my experience might be moot.
techno

Post by techno »

I use orange seal and don't think it needs replacing regularly. Also doesn't solidify like stans and sells much better than stand or cafe latex.
I've used both formulations and find them to work really well. I only buy it when it's on special offer though.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Stan's, only had one puncture in 8 years that it couldn't fix. Lasts for ages, very rarely have to top up.
May satan walk with you
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

The propensity to dry up does depend on the tyre and weather conditions. The new Squirt stuff needs a good shake before use. I've used Stans, O Seal and Squirt recently and find them all good, though not sure on Squirt longevity. Stans probably best for sealing bigger holes, Squirt for initial bead seal. Cost aside, I'd choose Orange Seal - it seems to form a thin layer across the tyre as it get's old, as oppose to the 'curds and whey' sort of mess Stans gives.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I've mostly used the OKO Offroad, which you mix with water. It's cheap, you get loads, but it's not that effective over a long period of time. It slows deflation, rather than stopping it, if that makes sense. On the recommendation of the folks at Phoienix Cycleworks, I bought from Orange Seal, I went for the Endurance one. I found it brilliant, in everything by the endurance aspect. Happily ran without issues for a couple of months, then found my front tyre flat one day, turns out the sealant had all dried up. I have just ordered another bottle to use with a couple of new tyres.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

I'm currently using decathlon's own brand.

It seems to be good as anything else I've had in the past

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/tubeless-re ... 89027.html
Trying to ride bikes.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheers all, will try the decathlon one when it comes back in stock then maybe give orange seal a whirl if not.
P
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've use Stans (normal, not the race) and have never had an issue. I've just taken the tyres off the ss and as the front still have some useful life I've washed it off before storing. I had 15 thorns in it so the Stans must work, on blackthorn anyway.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger