Bikepacking events, but not hardcore?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Adventurer

Bikepacking events, but not hardcore?

Post by Adventurer »

I normally bikepack on my own

I was considering in the future to maybe do a bikepacking event. However, what puts me off as they all seem to be on the ‘hardship’ side. You know, lots of suffering or type 2 fun.

Are there any that are a bit more laid back without the sufferfest?

This might be just me, but that’s how many of the bikepacking type events come across, so put me off doing them.
Tomwoodbury

Re: Bikepacking events, but not hardcore?

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Check out the events organised by Charlie Hobbs. I did the Dorset Dirt Dash in 2018 and it was superb. 100 miles over 2 days. Wild camp with barbecue and beers.
RIP

Post by RIP »

?! WRT! Basically it's one big cafe and pub visit (*) with the distraction of a few short bike rides in between.

(*) Other WRT options are available
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Oh, forgot, I would be doing it on a gravel bike with 2.0 650b wheels.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:24 pm ?! WRT! Basically it's one big cafe and pub visit (*) with the distraction of a few short bike rides in between.

(*) Other WRT options are available
The other option is one big pub and café visit :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

In the UK? Aside from WRT.. not many but Pannier put on some group tours, although you will pay more than an event entry fee you'll get way better food and coffee along the way by the look of it.
The Distance event maybe, or the Racing Collective events seem to have a good social element.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Both the WRT and Winter Event are both very much 'not hardcore' unless you want to make them such.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

jameso wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:31 pm In the UK? Aside from WRT.. not many but Pannier put on some group tours, although you will pay more than an event entry fee you'll get way better food and coffee along the way by the look of it.
The Distance event maybe, or the Racing Collective events seem to have a good social element.

Yes UK. But 200 to 300 for a weekend is too much for me.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The JennRide - can make it as hard or easy as you like, usually lots of options to shortcut bits and be a bit "economical with the route" :wink: Rich does tend to plot a route that goes past plenty of pubs and cafés :grin:

Not done it, but maybe the Moors 100? The organiser does post on here occasionally (as does Rich)
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ good mentions there Whitestone, heard great things about both.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

However, what puts me off as they all seem to be on the ‘hardship’ side. You know, lots of suffering or type 2 fun.
Which events in particular seem like this? I'm having a hard time to think of many.
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:23 pm
However, what puts me off as they all seem to be on the ‘hardship’ side. You know, lots of suffering or type 2 fun.
Which events in particular seem like this? I'm having a hard time to think of many.
Most to be honest, the way they appear to me, is they are sleep in a ditch, hike a bike, stop being soft, sort of events. That’s my perception, I might be wrong.

It’s personal perception though. If a person had done loads and enjoys them, they might not consider them hardcore or not of a great challenge.
For some even the thought of sleeping outside would be a challenge. For many riding a bike more than 5 miles is considered too much.

I’ve done loads of extreme stuff, but that’s not what interests me at the moment.

I was just after some pointers or advice, maybe some aren't as bad as I thought.
techno

Post by techno »

jameso wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:31 pm In the UK? Aside from WRT.. not many but Pannier put on some group tours, although you will pay more than an event entry fee you'll get way better food and coffee along the way by the look of it.
yeah, Pubduro nym is a fun option
https://www.theracingcollective.com/pub ... html#entry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:23 pm
I was thinking of reporting this post to the moderators for obvious trolling. :lol:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Don’t want to sound flippant but you could always organise one yourself. Just pick a meeting point and a route and invite people over one weekend.

Doesn’t have to be fancy, just tell people you’re riding from place A, to which pub/cafe etc and you’re away
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

voodoo_simon wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:01 pm Don’t want to sound flippant but you could always organise one yourself. Just pick a meeting point and a route and invite people over one weekend.

Doesn’t have to be fancy, just tell people you’re riding from place A, to which pub/cafe etc and you’re away

I don’t want to get into it too much, but I’m struggling with mental health issues due to military/NHS so I was after an event I found reasonable without causing anxiety. So me organising something is probably not best,and I don’t have anyone to invite either.

I do stuff on my own normally, but I was just trying to maybe be a little more social. (Not easy)
Last edited by Adventurer on Mon May 25, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

OP - it depends what you are after but Andy Toop organised an "adventure" weekend up here in Aviemore last year and was going to do so again if it hadn't been for CV19. Basically, a camp site, lots of locals showing folks around, a chance to see and compare kit and setups. There are tons of routes in the area so easy to find something suitable. No fixed route. No fixed distance. JennRide seems like the closest sort of thing I've seen.

I guess the obvious question is - what do you want to get out of the event?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

maybe some aren't as bad as I thought.
I think that's probably right. However, due to the duration of any bikepacking event (min 24 hours), routes tend to be reasonably long (although they often don't need to be ridden with any urgency) which will straight away make it too challenging for some. Add the navigation requirement and that's a few more not taking part. Now throw in the need to conduct them (mostly) somewhere with limited population and lots of potential overnight spots and the terrain will almost certainly become somewhat hilly and at times remote. Throw in some mixed weather and you've got a lot of potential for type 2 fun.

I'd say, look for any events which don't have a fixed route to follow as that will allow you to reduce the likelihood of type 2 fun.
do stuff on my own normally, but I was just trying to maybe be a little more social. (Not easy)
Does it have to be an event? The informal trips arranged here are a good way of meeting / riding with others.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The annual Winter "Bivvies" seem to be up your street then. Choose any route to get there, mingle, take a tent if you want your own space to crawl in to. There are other semi-organised rides too, though I appreciate how easy it is to be reluctant about joining these if it's folk you don't know and at a speed you might not manage/desire.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

The WRT lonely hearts seems to be something you could consider. It usually has grand notions of covering over a hundred miles over the the 48 hours but usually drops some mileage and the the pace is to the slowest rider and the participants are very supportive. It's a good laugh with plenty of stops at cafes and pubs. Entries are still open for this year.

Give it a go.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

If you’re anywhere in the shires I’m sure we could organise an very non-hardcore ‘event’ our record is 5 cafes and 2/3 pubs plus a bonus steam train :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
jameso

Post by jameso »

Adventurer wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:38 pm

Yes UK. But 200 to 300 for a weekend is too much for me.
Likewise!
The annual Winter "Bivvies" seem to be up your street then.
Spot on. Not events but a good social. Shame this current situ is stopping the summer bivis plans, hopefully local area early autumn seasonal trips will happen.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

The Distance - too dangle mug, expensive gravel w@nker for many (who've not done it), but if you speak to those who have, it has always been a great weekend (but then I would say that, as one of the organisers).
https://advntr.cc/the-distance-2018/
Cancelled this year unfortunately. As above, Jennride and Moors 100.
whonickedmename

Post by whonickedmename »

Brother in the Wild - postponed until September (and tickets may not be available this year... :sad: ).

https://www.brothercycles.com/2019/12/b ... may-2020/

Very chilled out last year - riding from a campsite base with some stuff laid on.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

OP - As someone who suffer with anxiety and panic attacks I know what you mean about trying to be a bit more social, I’d love a bimble-bike-packing-fest, no pressure and the option to ‘bug out’ if feeling crap without feeling as though I’ve left others down. Yeah bike-packing on your own is good but I do miss riding with mates.

Poor mental health is very isolating