It's vanished, gone into the garage black hole

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

It's vanished, gone into the garage black hole

Post by FLV »

I've looked everywhere for it (obviously i cant have).. :sad:

I only bought a quick release seatpost clamp about a month ago. I bought a good one too. A chromag one. I used the exact type before and they work. But where is it now...

I fitted it briefly during the 'slipping seatpost' period (thats still on technically) but swapped to a twin bolted one whilst using a dropper.

I was just looking to put it with a normal seatpost ready for swapping but where is it...

It has to be in there somewhere but ive looked everywhere at least twice and have even tidied the whole workbench :roll:

Gone, into the black hole... :|
slarge

Re: It's vanished, gone into the garage black hole

Post by slarge »

Dave, there’s a knack to these situations. You have to do the usual superficial searching, then after careful thoughts etc you then order a new one. Approx 3 days after the new one arrives the lost one will reappear. If you are canny then you can send the new one back for a refund, but don’t ever voice this intention as the lost one will hear it and stay hidden.

This works for all sorts of lost things, not just seatpost clamps.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ha. You are of course correct... im not willing to concede just yet though
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I find that I need to sneak up on these things. If it knows you're looking for it then a fruitless game of hide and seek will ensue. Best bet is to pretend that you're looking for something else. This will be no fun for the clamp and it'll let its guard down. It won't bother to hide behind the tin of coppaslip or abseil down the back of the bench on a spiders web when it hears you approach but it'll simply sit there feeling a little dejected in the hope of getting your attention. Same thing happens with weasels.
May the bridges you burn light your way
FLV

Post by FLV »

I hear you Stu, but so far my Borah tarp has ignored this approach for at least 6 months... its bewildering, it really is...

If indeed, the tarp and clamp are in league as i suspect, i could be in trouble here. Who knows whats next even!!

:shock:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:28 am Same thing happens with weasels.
:???:

Love threads like this, gave me a big LOL this morning. Which is a bit disrespectful to your situation, apologies :oops: .

Slightly related, ok not really, as usual, is Mrs P has just nagged me about my new book ('Wild guide Wales') which is resting on the third step of our stairs up from the hall. "Why's it there?". "It's on the way to the bathroom". Ensuing exchange similar to Basil/Sybil ones. Point being, I permanently have little piles, or single items, resting around the house in transit to somewhere else. They could be there for hours or sometimes days, the items within each pile will change with no apparent pattern, and the different journeys may well involve more than one 'hop'. I know exactly where each in-transit item is all the time. Mrs Perrin hates it. Related to your seatclamp, sometimes she'll move an item and disrupt my system. Never been resolved over 40 years. Impasse.

PS. It's in your toolbox.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

For 3 years now I still cannot find my new york D lock - its massive and weighs about 2kg and definetly did notleave the house

Never lost something this big before.

Its only turning up when I move or die.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Pfft... The toolbox had already had the Santa's list treatment Reg, been checked twice but now you've said that... thrice.

I've even checked inside all the bike n hike shoes that live on a little rack in the garage.
Inside the bikepacking bags that live in a box on the top shelf? checked.
Under the motocycle over there? Checked
Spares box? Yep, checked
Carboard box of parts waiting for the new frame? Not there.
Under the workbench and round the back? nope

I'm no amateur lost part hunter. Looked everywhere I tell you, twice.

Going to make some lunch, then I either need to leave the house for a while or its going to get serious in there!!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Lazarus wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:24 pm For 3 years now I still cannot find my new york D lock - its massive and weighs about 2kg and definetly did notleave the house

Never lost something this big before.

Its only turning up when I move or die.
That my friend is in a very similar place to my New York D Lock - Still locked to the last thing it secured a bike to. In my case, a bike rack outside an office in Coventry.... at least thats the working theory :roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you had a look in your pockets? Mine are always completely empty until Dee removes my shorts from the washing machine and I discover no they weren't .... how we laugh.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Have you looked to see if it’s actually on one of your bikes?
RIP

Post by RIP »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:49 pm Have you looked to see if it’s actually on one of your bikes?

That's a good one. So obvious it's completely not obvious :smile: .

If we're going to continue helping(?) I reckon you'll have to provide a photograph of the interior of your shed so we can see what we're up against.

As is frequently the case Here, I think we've just invented a new Thing - online crowd-finding!! :lol: Anyone can chip in, contributions large or small equally welcome :-bd .
Last edited by RIP on Sun May 24, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

PS. I've got fifty D-locks in my loft bought by my mate Steve, Council Cycling Officer, for giving away at our campaign group stand as prizes at fetes or shows or what-have-you. Not many shows on at the moment surprisingly so I'm stuck with them. I'll post you one up there Laz. Hmm, on second thoughts no I won't :wink: .

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I have a decent reason not to question my sanity when things disappear in the garage. I share it with a variety of wildlife, any of whom could theoretically hide stuff. I quite enjoy watching the geckos shuffling about on the underside of the roof playing the "do you think he's seen us?" game. One of the less welcome residents has recently re-emerged with the warmer weather. I spotted what looked like a length of clear plastic tubing hanging from the door the other day, turned out it was a discarded snake skin. It was about 2ft long and an inch in diameter. I spotted it's owner a few months ago disappearing into a hole in the stone wall of the garage, I estimated it to be about 3ft long and about the girth of a handlebar, from the markings it could have been a false smooth snake which are common around here and not very venomous. Even so I keep an eye out when I go in the garage.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:48 pm Have you had a look in your pockets? Mine are always completely empty until Dee removes my shorts from the washing machine and I discover no they weren't .... how we laugh.
I have an old fleece that regularly hides things in its pockets, but alas.. no joy

UnderTheRadars wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:49 pm Have you looked to see if it’s actually on one of your bikes?
A cunning hiding place indeed, and one I have checked more than once even though I know for certain it only fits one bike
composite

Post by composite »

FLV wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:59 am I only bought a quick release seatpost clamp about a month ago. I bought a good one too. A chromag one. I used the exact type before and they work. But where is it now...
I love the Chromag Seatpost clamps. There is just something about the finish and the brass bushing that just ticks my boxes. :-bd

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've just read this of the offending clamp
This superb clamp combines a precision brass bushing and smooth lever for an enjoyable experience.
I think you should complain as I believe your experience is less than enjoyable ... trading standards an' all that.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Right, thought I... I give up. It must have gotten into the bin somehow.

Then, the little grey cells got to work and considered that I can be rather forgetful. Hmmm, Just one more thing...

I refer you to my original plan
FLV wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:59 am I was just looking to put it with a normal seatpost ready for swapping but where is it...
Ah Ha! and indeed Eureka!

A tip of the box and 'Excellent! I cried'
Look at it, peeking out - Some kind soul has already put it with the seatpost as per the original plan!! :roll:

*Prizes for the 3 or 4 people I 'quoted / ripped off'

** no actual prizes, but adoration
***no actual adoration either

I realise some of you will be disappointed the saga is over but, if anyone needs anything finding... I now consider myself one of the foremost experts. :lol:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Was looking forward to buying a cheap 2nd hand (unused) seat post clamp in the classifieds soon
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I'll post you one up there Laz. Hmm, on second thoughts no I won't
Its ok I dont actually need the thing and rarely used it as its incredibly heavy it just annoys the hellout of me.Wish i had not remebered as I want to go and start looking for it for the N th time and there is nowhere left to look - I even moved wardrobes [ which obvs any sensible person uses as bike part storage]

Its so big and heavy there is nowhere to hide the bloody thing,
On the plus side i know where the keys are :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

I always think that the huge jolt of pleasure and satisfaction when you find something is almost but not quite worth the feeling of disappointment and frustration when you lose it.

Anyway, that livened up a Sunday thank you. New BBB 'day' - Satisfied Sunday.

Time for 'Today's Ride' now methinks....

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

FLV wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:04 pm I realise some of you will be disappointed the saga is over but, if anyone needs anything finding... I now consider myself one of the foremost experts. :lol:
I knew it would be in the last place you looked...
slarge

Post by slarge »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:07 pm
FLV wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:04 pm I realise some of you will be disappointed the saga is over but, if anyone needs anything finding... I now consider myself one of the foremost experts. :lol:
I knew it would be in the last place you looked...
Lost things always are, unless of course you didn't realise you'd found it
FLV

Post by FLV »

Can someone please remember I've left it in the same place, no doubt I'll have lost it again before too long!!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

If this happens again my gran told me you have to ask St Anthony
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer