Looking ahead - what are you looking forward to?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Re: Looking ahead - what are you looking forward to?

Post by Mike »

The day i can walk in and OUT! of a supermarket without having to que. :roll: Oh and ill be happy when i can get food from a pub and not have to carry it all :-bd

And long term, im really looking forward to retiring in around 7 yrs and cycling the coast of Britain :wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 pm
whitestone wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:18 pm The Coruisk river is meant to be the shortest in Scotland/the UK so it'd be worth paddling for that.
Hmm. I always thought it was the Morar. I think it might be shorter - at least to the start of the tidal part.

Paddling down the Dionard would be a laugh. Especially in fishing season.

https://georgegoldsmith.com/property/gualin-lodge/
River Scavaig (the one out of Loch Coruisk) is 250m, the Morar is 400m, the shortest in England is the River Bain at 3.95km
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 pm
whitestone wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:18 pm The Coruisk river is meant to be the shortest in Scotland/the UK so it'd be worth paddling for that.
Hmm. I always thought it was the Morar. I think it might be shorter - at least to the start of the tidal part.

Paddling down the Dionard would be a laugh. Especially in fishing season.

https://georgegoldsmith.com/property/gualin-lodge/
River Scavaig (the one out of Loch Coruisk) is 250m, the Morar is 400m, the shortest in England is the River Bain at 3.95km.

Not sure about the Dionard - worth paddling the loch having followed the track down from Lochan Sgeireach as someone mentioned the lochside is a little type 2 (or 3) fun.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Mike wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:53 pm And long term, im really looking forward to retiring in around 7 yrs and cycling the coast of Britain :wink:
7 years! You're either much older than you look or have a much better pension than me, I'll be lucky to retire by 75.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
slarge

Post by slarge »

Fireman isn’t he-they get to retire when they’ve done 25 years. On that basis I’d have been out 11 years ago.......
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:33 pm
even if it took me 30 hours.
That's a green right there :-bd
Funny to think that my first was a black... and since then I've got worse. :???:
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Would love a BB200 this year, last time I entered (2018) I crashed and broke a shoulder so that was that. fingers crossed everything okay by time it comes round.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Leerowe76 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:39 am Would love a BB200 this year, last time I entered (2018) I crashed and broke a shoulder so that was that. fingers crossed everything okay by time it comes round.
The key is to keep riding after you've broken something...

...I'm not too smart. :sad:
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

[/quote]

I did for 6 mile to get home then did some Peter Kay running for 3 weeks which was pants but saying that so was the weather
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Verena

Post by Verena »

To be honest, I've been really enjoying staying local but getting out probably more often than I would have with more distractions around.... Have cobbled together a bikepacking route round Mid, West and South Wa!es, hoping to do that one week in the summer if and when we're allowed. Then hoping to see my parents in September in Germany, and do the Taunus Teaser while I'm there, which is shorter version of the grown up event I did last year. This year 's event has been postponed to the same time I've postponed my Easter visit to, so hoping to catch up with some folks I met there last year.
Oh, and I was meant to do the fjallraven classic trek in Sweden with a friend, which has been cancelled, but the flights may now not get cancelled, and were expensive, so rather than let them go to waste I might go anyway and do something else..anyone done any biking around Kiruna area???
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Getting desperate now to walk/run a ridge line or two in snowdonia.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Looking forward to having a few beers and a nice pub meal in Conwy, its better than walking there and walking back every day sober!
Bikewise, I'm itching to get back into the Carneddau. I could do it in a day's ride but the way things are here atm, I don't fancy having my mug in the local rag for abusing the lockdown measures.
My hoping the summer solstice could hopefully be doable.....
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'm looking forward to not having to worry about inadvertently infecting swmbo so much (as she's vulnerable and supposed to be shielding). It's not like the thought dominates every waking moment but it's always there in the back of my mind niggling at me.
Other than that just the usual things like being able to do a guilt free overnighter or multi day trip and being able to eat out again will be nice too.
composite

Post by composite »

I'm honestly not hankering for anything in particular at this point.

I don't mind working from home at all and I'm able to manage my time effectively that I'm not working longer than I should be. More now than ever I'm able to switch it off when I should be. Given that my expertise is e-learning/distance learning, working at a university has meant people take me more seriously now than ever before which also helps. Whilst I have always thought that working in a Medical School and helping to train this countries next generation of doctors is a worthwhile thing to do, the current situation has given me even more perspective on that.

I pretty much always rode on my own anyway and in many respects lockdown as highlighted to me just how my much my group of friends really aren't where I live. I don't really get them to see them very often anyway and actually I have seen them more in the last 8 weeks (via various web meetings) than any other 8 week period since I left Cardiff 20 years ago! It would be nice to at least have the choice to try to hook up for a ride with Steve or Mike for instance but I guess that wouldn't have happened much anyway. I suppose it will be good to get back to Thursday night club runs as that was something I had just started to get into but honestly I hadn't been doing it long enough to miss it.

I would say that I'm probably riding right now about as much as I was before but my riding is spread out over shorter rides now which has been interesting. I'm finding that the mental escape I got from riding all day I'm able to get from a few hours now which I haven't felt for a long time.

Even though I have fairly seriously got back into riding again, I still hadn't made my way back into biving yet. I guess that is certainly what I would have done some more of over the last few weeks given the choice. The good weather would have definitely tempted me out. I'm not really sure what route or where etc. but I think a few nights out under the stars would be nice to do.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Greggs re-opening.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Karl

Post by Karl »

sean_iow wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:22 am
slarge wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:01 pm What dreams are keeping you going at the moment?
Actually talking of Karl, I'd really like to go riding in the Peaks with him showing me (or us) round, we'd sort of touched on it before but never got as far as doing anything about it.
Looks like I've got something to look forward to now! So when lock down has gone consider this an open invite to anyone and everyone to a ride around the peaks. :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

Karl wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:59 pm
slarge wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:01 pm What dreams are keeping you going at the moment?
Actually talking of Karl, I'd really like to go riding in the Peaks with him showing me (or us) round, we'd sort of touched on it before but never got as far as doing anything about it.
Looks like I've got something to look forward to now! So when lock down has gone consider this an open invite to anyone and everyone to a ride around the peaks. :-bd
Think I'm free on the 3rd Julember Karl - anyone else?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

slarge wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:53 pm Think I'm free on the 3rd Julember Karl - anyone else?
:-H put my name down, 3rd Julember suits me as well.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

:lol:
Karl

Post by Karl »

Of all the days you pick the one where I've already got stuff planned :cry:
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Richard G wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:01 am
Leerowe76 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:39 am Would love a BB200 this year, last time I entered (2018) I crashed and broke a shoulder so that was that. fingers crossed everything okay by time it comes round.

Sounds like some sort of BB200/300 curse. I whacked my shin (came off in a little puny mudslide) on the pedals at mile 30ish. Did the smart thing :smile: and kept riding without even giving it a wash. Got home 2 days later (or was it 3) and still didn't tend to it properly.

Week later it (right leg below thigh... I know cos scar/gash remains) had blown up almost like a baloon. Thankfully I tended to it then properly and throughly :smile:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

slarge wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:53 pm
Karl wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:59 pm
Think I'm free on the 3rd Julember Karl - anyone else?
Yes please :-bd
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

I am really really really really looking forward to being able to get on a ferry and get home to Asturias...I came over to make some cash for a few weeks...... I'll be going home poorer than when I came, but time (and cash) spent fettling bikes means I'm taking two reinvigorated steel pack horses back with me. I won't be able to eat anything or afford candles but I will be able to cycle about... Until I run out of body fat.
Howard

Post by Howard »

Well I had been preparing for the GBDuro - but since that has changed format this year it's beyond me :cry: . So when I can, might jump on the GBDivide route from near Falkirk up to say Contin, then back down to Inverness to pick up the Badger Divide to Glasgow and then the canal home. A nice figure of 8 to look forward to. But only when the pubs and cafes are open again!