Tarp poles ... an update

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Tarp poles ... an update

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Firstly, apologies to anyone who's being waiting for me to pull my finger out and get the tarp poles sorted, very sorry.

However there is some good news.

Carbon poles will be available but they'll be made to order. I've managed to track down a supply of tips of the correct size, so you'll be able to choose to have plain dome ends, spiked ends or a mixture and whether to have them shockcorded or not (obviously in shockcorded form they'll be a fixed length but if non-corded you'll be able to add or subtract sections to alter the length).

Aluminium poles have undergone a bit of a rethink. There was nothing wrong with the previous incarnation but I figure that any improvement can only be a good thing. So, the new poles are made using DAC featherlite sections. The joins are swaged which means that the joining pieces can be a larger diameter than previously, resulting in a stronger pole for virtually no weight penalty. Again, there'll be a choice of ends and a shockcorded option. They'll be available in custom lengths and standard lengths 'off the shelf' to suit the more usual shelter set ups.

The first pair of version II alloy poles are going out to Mart ... configured specially for his SilShelter. Here's what the new alloy poles look like. Prices, weights and the ability to actually buy some will be along very soon ... promise.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Re: Tarp poles ... an update

Post by Zippy »

I've got an idea with poles, gotta think it through though.

These look interesting Stu - are you gonna make it optional to buy whatever combination and bits and pieces we want? i.e. can buy end dome, spike and bit of pole as we want, then put them together in our own way at home.?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

These look interesting Stu - are you gonna make it optional to buy whatever combination and bits and pieces we want? i.e. can buy end dome, spike and bit of pole as we want, then put them together in our own way at home.?
It could be an option but I hadn't really thought about it.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Any idea on the price of these Stu? Say a meter of alloy and a meter of carbon?
Cheers
Ben
barney

Post by barney »

thanks for the update Stu, will be in touch as soon as you give an update
Wait for me...
MM-on-POINT

Post by MM-on-POINT »

Brilliant, can't wait.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Getting closer ;)

Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

are the alloy poles going to offer anything over my existing MSR set up?http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... 5-ft-p1109
or will I need to go carbon to save weight?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

These are much lighter Steve.

What are you using the MSR pole with - Mini Peak?
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

Yep - the Mini Peak ATM - when I actually get out!
I may well be riding up in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks (wife and kids away with the in-laws!!) so could maybe pick a set up if you are about then
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What length are you setting it at Steve? ... Luxe seem to be saying 130cm - 150cm.
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

I think I've been using them at @140cm
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Okay ... because I'm clueless (and more importantly Dee's away) the poles haven't yet found their way onto the website even though they're all sorted ... so I thought I'd put them here in case anyone really wants some. Below is all the bumph and a couple of pics.

Pole-a-bear tarp poles are assembled from the highest quality DAC featherlite sections, ultralight shockcord and machined aluminium tips. The finished poles aren't only strong, they're also incredibly light.

• 9mm diameter DAC featherlite sections
• Swaged pole ends for a larger diameter / stronger joint
• Hard anodised finish resists corrosion
• Lightweight - average pole weight is just 0.55g per cm!
• Joined using ultralight 2mm shockcord
• Custom lengths and choice of end tips available

Standard length poles:

• 70cm - 2 section - 36cm folded length - 1 dome tip + 1 point tip. Ideal as a rear pole for 'A' frames or as a 'lifter' pole to create more internal space in many set-ups.

• 110cm - 3 section - 43cm folded length - 1 dome tip + 1 point tip. A great length for forming half 'mids, centre pole pitches or as the front pole for an 'A' frame.

2 pole sets:
The use of 2 poles opens up maximum pitching options for a minimal weight increase … so you'll be able to bicycle the ideal set-up, whatever the conditions.

• Set 1: 70cm + 110cm. Ideal for solo and smaller tarps such as the Siltarp 1 or TN Comp tarp.

• Set 2: 110cm + 110cm. Suited to larger tarps like the bicycle 7 or siltarp 2 / 3, although they still perfom well with smaller tarps. They're especally good for 'lean to' pitches.

Custom length poles:
We can make poles to specific lengths to suit your requirements

• 12cm - 70cm - 2 section pole - choice of tips

• Up to 110cm - 3 section pole - choice of tips

• Up to 150cm - 4 section pole - choice of tips

IF YOU REQUIRE A POLE FOR SPECIFIC SHELTER BUT AREN'T SURE WHAT YOU NEED, EMAIL US - WE CAN PROBARBLY HELP.

1m + 70cm pair

Pole tips made simple ;)

Prices:
70cm pole £13.70
110cm pole £22.50
110cm + 70cm set £34.00
110cm + 110cmm set £42.00

Custom length up to 70cm £13.70
Custom length up to 110cm £22.50
Custom length up to 150cm £27.50

The above are plus P+P which is £2.60 regardless of order (can't do it cheaper, sorry).

If anyone wants any you can paypal your money and details to stuart@forestfreeride.co.uk Remember to include:

•Address
•Exactly what you'd like, inc' which tips if you're ordering custom poles.

Over and out.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Looks good.. sold )
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Looking good, YGM (though its never that straightforward ;) )
jameso

Post by jameso »

My 70cm version arrived today. It's very light and it will hold my tarp up better than a stick. It'll pack easier and will last longer too. A bit more expensive than the stick option, but not much. Faster than using a wheel too. 'Rated'.

Edit.. and I may add a line to the end and try to catch dinner sometime. Actually Stuart, if you came up with a 4-section, 1.5m (2x 75cm) pole that had a little flex, carbon probably, with a small eyelet on one end...
(heading into garage later to dig up my old fishing pole)
Singlespeedpunk

Post by Singlespeedpunk »

Weights....we *need* weights! :ugeek:

SSP
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Weights....we *need* weights!
• Lightweight - average pole weight is just 0.55g per cm!
barney

Post by barney »

order just put in :D
Wait for me...
Soma

Post by Soma »

My first time viewing the forum and first post on here (hi all Image ) , i've had the forum in my bookmarks for ages, ashamed to say i forgot about it, but after Stuart posted advice on my what tent thread on stw forum i finally made my way over here and got round to signing up, i've been after a couple of poles for my bicycle 7 for ages so i've just ordered a couple of 110cm poles - these should make things easier than hunting around for stick or using my bike as a tarp structure, this lightweight bikepacking gear?........it's an expensive habit to feed ain't it?.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Soma wrote: this lightweight bikepacking gear?........it's an expensive habit to feed ain't it?.
Hi Soma. It can be expensive if you let it but it doesn't have to be. My gear is not the lightest but also didn't cost the earth. I read lots of reviews comparing weights, prices, durability etc before buying. Surf the internet for good deals and don't set your heart on one particular make/model of something as something else almost as good will often come up much cheaper if you look hard enough. Enjoy getting your set up together then just get out there and use it :D .
Soma

Post by Soma »

Hi Ray, it was more of an :roll: to myself rather than an expression of "christ this stuff is expensive", i guess you could say i've been bikepacking "as it is now called" since the early 90's and i've cobbled together some weird and wonderful creations back in the day, i used to have a 10ft square of light Lorry tarpaulin with brass eyelets that we used as a shelter, admittingly it was rather heavy and awkward to roll up but at least it was waterproof, bombproof/nukeproof would be a more apt description.

Thank god for lightweight kit these days, i was more resilient and could cope with suffering in my early 20's but now i'm the wrong side of 40 my priorities are comfort, lightweight, ease of use..... then i worry bout the cost. :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Poles now winging their way to you Soma - ta ;)
barney

Post by barney »

Hi Stu,

Poles received today, had to strike a deal with the wife that I had to cut the grass before I could play in the garden with them. :lol:

Looking forward to having fun tomorrow

Many thanks Stu !
Wait for me...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If anyone's requiring a pole for a 'mid, Trailstar or big shelter, then 10.5mm poles are now available. 1.5mm doesn't sound like much but the increase in diameter does make a noticeable difference.

CM has a pair for his new TS .. 10.5mm x 1m for the centre pole and 9mm x 1m for the door pole.
Prices, tip choice, etc are the same as they are for 9mm poles.

9mm on left, 10.5mm on right.