Looking ahead - what are you looking forward to?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Re: Looking ahead - what are you looking forward to?

Post by Escape Goat »

I like this.

I'm looking forward to taking my bike to keilder and riding around aimlessly probably solo for 3 days.
slarge

Post by slarge »

I like this as well - it’s an island of positivity in a sea of despair! πŸ˜€
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Sitting in a pub, with or without mates, and whiling away an afternoon/evening. If there's a bike outside to wobble about on afterwards then all the better.

A mammoth greasy fried breakfast in a cafe to assist with the next day's hangover/fueling requirements.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Go see my Mum.

Ride the Second City Divide followed by An Turas Mor, then ride back home again.
Andiphim

Post by Andiphim »

My 8 year old boy has started to show some interest in coming out for an overnight on the bikes. We have been camping in the garden so it's a small step of adding a bike ride either side of the tent bit. So a local overnight trip with him will be great.

Sitting outside a cafe drinking nice coffee and people watching is always good.

And of course a few beers with mates down the local.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

slarge wrote: ↑Thu May 21, 2020 2:01 pm What dreams are keeping you going at the moment?
Just riding anywhere that's not on the Isle of Wight would be nice. Anywhere I could take the Spearfish that gave it a chance to show what it was designed for.

There's always the BB300 to dream about, as long as I've got one more orange badge than Karl then I'm ok :wink: I assume it's the same for you :grin:

Actually talking of Karl, I'd really like to go riding in the Peaks with him showing me (or us) round, we'd sort of touched on it before but never got as far as doing anything about it.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Honestly (and I appreciate this is unusually soppy for me), it would just be nice to see everyone again. I really look forward to meeting up with friends at the various events and it's getting me down that it's likely to be 4-5 months total without seeing anyone. =/
slarge

Post by slarge »

Richard G wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2020 12:27 pm Honestly (and I appreciate this is unusually soppy for me), it would just be nice to see everyone again. I really look forward to meeting up with friends at the various events and it's getting me down that it's likely to be 4-5 months total without seeing anyone. =/
Shall we alI send you pics Rich, at least you could have some of the experience???πŸ˜‚
slarge

Post by slarge »

sean_iow wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2020 11:22 am
slarge wrote: ↑Thu May 21, 2020 2:01 pm What dreams are keeping you going at the moment?
There's always the BB300 to dream about, as long as I've got one more orange badge than Karl then I'm ok :wink: I assume it's the same for you :grin:

Actually talking of Karl, I'd really like to go riding in the Peaks with him showing me (or us) round, we'd sort of touched on it before but never got as far as doing anything about it.
You have a point there Sean - a trip to the Peak District and an(other) orange badge -good goals to have
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

slarge wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2020 12:40 pm Shall we alI send you pics Rich, at least you could have some of the experience???πŸ˜‚
Well, I would hope that I would be at any events. Sending pics of the solo stuff wouldn't be much good. :P

Thing is, last event was January... next one looking like August, if we're lucky. That's one hell of a gap without seeing everyone.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

slarge wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2020 12:44 pm

You have a point there Sean - a trip to the Peak District and an(other) orange badge -good goals to have
Orange is way out of my league. But whats the one above the standard (green I think) bb200 badge... ? Is it blue?
slarge

Post by slarge »

redefined_cycles wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2020 1:12 pm
slarge wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2020 12:44 pm

Orange is way out of my league. But whats the one above the standard (green I think) bb200 badge... ? Is it blue?
I think the badges go:

Green (>28 hours)
Blue (24-28 hours
Black (<24 hours)
Orange - superhero elite 300km (Sean and I have 2 each of these!! :-bd )
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

redefined_cycles wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2020 1:12 pm Orange is way out of my league. But whats the one above the standard (green I think) bb200 badge... ? Is it blue?
Blue is probably the hardest to get if done 'pure' to the highest ethical standards. You have to pace the ride just right to come under the 28 hours but not under the 24 hours. If you ride round under 24 hours and just wait to sign in after 24 that's cheating in my book :wink:

Aim for the Blue Shaf and once you have that then a black then an orange :smile:

In the same way as people who run all the mumros in one go, what are they going to do next? The BB200/BB300 is so good you want to get the most from it, take your time and savour each badge as you collect them.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Have I mentioned that green is my favourite colour....

Anyway, what's the point of driving all the way to Wales and then riding most of the BB200 in the dark? :grin:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

sean_iow wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2020 2:46 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2020 1:12 pm Orange is way out of my league. But whats the one above the standard (green I think) bb200 badge... ? Is it blue?
Blue is probably the hardest to get if done 'pure' to the highest ethical standards. You have to pace the ride just right to come under the 28 hours but not under the 24 hours. If you ride round under 24 hours and just wait to sign in after 24 that's cheating in my book :wink:

Aim for the Blue Shaf and once you have that then a black then an orange :smile:

In the same way as people who run all the mumros in one go, what are they going to do next? The BB200/BB300 is so good you want to get the most from it, take your time and savour each badge as you collect them.
Ok. I think I have my answer (based on the fact that a blue still feels out of reach just yet).

1. Another bb200 with a green badge (God Willing).
2. Ride via Reg's (will need to look up which cafe he recommended) enroute to London and this time try and complete the 220ish mile route and make the train (this will be attempt 4 I think but am losing count).
3. Ride from mine to York (or after work from there) join the WofR back towards Lancaster and then home
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I don't think I'll ever be able to do a 300 again. Very unlikely my hip could cope with that.

I'd really love to be able to finish a 200. God knows how long it would take. I don't think stopping would be a good idea because I struggle enough to sleep in a normal bed now due to pain... and mornings are hell, so I imagine I'd fully seize up if I bivvied out after 16 hours of riding. :???:

I assume I'm still mentally tough enough to just keep going though... so I guess that would be an option, even if it took me 30 hours.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

even if it took me 30 hours.
That's a green right there :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Wild camping, fat biking and pack rafting on Skye..... sunny day's and light winds to keep the midges away
Scud

Post by Scud »

Been a hard few months with wife still not clear of the virus and as she works for NHS, me trying to work from home, home school my daughter (and failing miserably) and only leaving my small village for my weekly ride outside.

On the flipside, disappearing to garage to chuck some weights around or use turbo trainer has kept me moderately sane and actually seemed to have gained some fitness, so not all bad.

Locally just looking forward to being able to get up to Norfolk coast and beaches for a bivvy and some aimless banter with friends over the odd hip flask of sloe gin or damson vodka, i miss just talking rubbish about bikes and travel plans with mates that doesn't involve squinting at them on zoom, and realising how many chins i have from the camera angle...

Abroad, which i think will be next year now, looking at the Abruzzo region of Italy and Soca Valley in Slovenia for bikepacking trips, both seem beautiful, and also Torino-Nice again if James will have me and there are a few places left after this year entrants carry over.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Wild camping, fat biking and pack rafting on Skye..... sunny day's and light winds to keep the midges away
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

JohnClimber wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2020 5:47 pm Wild camping, fat biking and pack rafting on Skye..... sunny day's and light winds to keep the midges away
Ooh. Where on Skye John?
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

ScotRoutes wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2020 5:58 pm
JohnClimber wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2020 5:47 pm Wild camping, fat biking and pack rafting on Skye..... sunny day's and light winds to keep the midges away
Ooh. Where on Skye John?
Coruisk and the recently found viking landing and boat repair docks south of Glenbrittle.
Talisker beach are 3 to start with
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Have you been to the coral beach at Dunvegan?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

JohnClimber wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2020 7:50 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2020 5:58 pm
Ooh. Where on Skye John?
Coruisk and the recently found viking landing and boat repair docks south of Glenbrittle.
Talisker beach are 3 to start with
I remember seeing those viking repair docks on the telly. I've a good idea where they are. The Coruisk river is meant to be the shortest in Scotland/the UK so it'd be worth paddling for that.

At the other end of the island it'd be interesting, for those experienced enough, to paddle around Floddigarry, some intriguing rock features in the cliffs there.

I'd like to ride into Loch Dionard - when I started climbing the crags on the northern flank of Foinavon were in one of the mysterious areas hidden in the old SMC climbing guides when they had a policy of not giving out any information! You sort of look across Creag Urbhard from the Bealach Horn stalker's track. As a bonus I'd head NW and out to Cape Wrath.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: ↑Fri May 22, 2020 8:18 pm The Coruisk river is meant to be the shortest in Scotland/the UK so it'd be worth paddling for that.
Hmm. I always thought it was the Morar. I think it might be shorter - at least to the start of the tidal part.

Paddling down the Dionard would be a laugh. Especially in fishing season.

https://georgegoldsmith.com/property/gualin-lodge/