Post by ballibeg »

If you believe Forbes magazine!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonrei ... kepacking/

Dave
Bearbonesnorm

Re: It's going to be mobbed.......

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Looks like a right laugh* :wink:

*although, somewhat weirdly, they are smiling ... maybe it's the drugs?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Well they seem to have fully embraced the principle of TMS - Take More Stuff
I would genuinely like to see a kit list from those two - might be quicker to say what they left at home mind
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

For all we know they could be self sufficient for food for the length of their trip so that they do not have to risk small local shops.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Forbes Magazine! Hands up all you Billionaire Bikepackers on Here! :smile: .

Well I thought that was a great little article. People out on bikes, camping. The old codgers might have been "touring" but yer man seemed to have all the right gear and attitude, and he makes some good points: fits well with distancing in every respect, and is nicely low impact which the Gov now claim they are apparently encouraging (which I'll believe when they cancel the £28b roads budget). Staycation - tick from me. Cheap flights in short/no supply - another big tick for me.

"Or even wildcamping" - he said Jehovah! "Bikepacking is pretty safe"; "far more positive outlook on life afterwards", etc. Marvellous stuff. Someone should shove this under Boris's nose. As the man says, instead of us assuming camping not being specifically mentioned in The Rules, it might even be the first thing out of lockdown before hotels etc.

And Extrawheels in the photo! Might go and dig mine out of the loft and take it for a spin on my next BaM. But obviously only packed with my normal ultralight gear :wink: .
Last edited by RIP on Thu May 21, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I found that quite encouraging reading until I got to the last line. Inevitable, given the publisher I guess...
RIP

Post by RIP »

And the bloke isn't some cash-in on-trend writer. He's paid his dues:

"He is the executive editor of BikeBiz.com. He is also comms for the Bicycle Association and the BA’s Bike Hub levy fund. In 1997 he was editor/publisher of On Your Bike magazine, a magazine for family and “born-again” cyclists. His books include Adventure Mountain Biking and (the best bit!) I-Spy Bicycles. He was co-manager of the first ever British mountain bike team. This team competed in the World Championships in Villard de Lans, France, in 1987. In June 2008, he was inducted into the MBUK Mountain Bike Hall of Fame, one of the first 20 inductees. He got into mountain biking after a mid-1980s failed attempt to cycle around the world on a Claud Butler Majestic touring bike (he got as far as Israel and then decided to cycle tour the deserts of the Middle East for a year on one of them new-fangled mountain bikes)."

Also wrote a book "Roads Were Not Built For Cars" which I'm now going to have a dig around for.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

so that they do not have to risk small local shops.
Risk of what? I'm assuming this was before any notion of lock-down and the likes of the independent traveller buying from small local shops is great for the rural economy and should always be encouraged. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I would also like to say ... this was touring in the middle of the 20th century and before. Looks kind of familiar doesn't it. I maintain, that bikepacking isn't owt new, it's just that we've rediscovered how it used to be done and in reality, the modern day tourers with their racks and 4 panniers are actually the new kids ont' block and certainly not as 'traditional' as they bang on about :-bd

psling

Post by psling »

The situation in England is different, with long distance cycle touring allowed.
Which, of course, isn't correct.
There are no restrictions on how far you can travel to get to the countryside. However you should not stay overnight. Campsites and caravan parks are closed and you cannot visit a holiday or second home. [gov.uk - coronavirus guidance on accessing green spaces safely (England)]
Nothing like giving cycle touring the green light in an article when the requirement in England is that you can't "stay overnight" :roll:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ooooh, shurrup you lot - it's normally us three that are the old curmudgeons... I'm trying to break the mould :smile: . Look at that lovely saddle bag. If you're not careful the "stop being elitist it's all about people having nice bike camping japes" crowd will be along in a minute to stone us ("Jehovah!" again), as always happens on these threads :lol:

And, re local shops, yes surely it was written during lockdown 'cos he goes on and on about it.

We're just jealous 'cos we're not billionaire bikepackers, that's the real problem here :-P .
Last edited by RIP on Thu May 21, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

"Many still ride with traditional panniers, but the cool kids are now “bikepacking.” - so the 'old-fashioned' pics are just him acknowledging the 'old' way of doing things. And we're cool kids so that's nice too. Nobody's ever called me cool before.

benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:16 pm Risk of what?
Importing your city diseases onto rural communities due to unnecessary contact, such as I believed happened to some extent in the Lake District that weekend before lockdown.
When extending trips, buy food locally first, so you’re not going into shops in remote areas.

I agree that the photo was almost certainly taken before lockdown therefore it is unlikely that their panniers are filled with food, but it would be agreeing with the content of the article. Towing the line that bikepacking is as safe from infection as possible to be and you should go and do it.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:16 pm
so that they do not have to risk small local shops.
Risk of what? I'm assuming this was before any notion of lock-down and the likes of the independent traveller buying from small local shops is great for the rural economy and should always be encouraged. :-bd
Except in Royston Vasey of course. And, there's plenty of room to 'socially distance' in Staylittle PO & Stores :wink:
We're seeing a lot of visitors to my local patch now but they all arrive in cars, unload all their food and drink then bugger off leaving all their litter; local shops don't even enter their minds. Having said that, most of the village shops here are well organised with queing at the door, one way systems, and spacing at the counters and would be glad of any extra business from visitors whether on 2 wheels or not.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When extending trips, buy food locally first, so you’re not going into shops in remote areas.
I assume that means buy it before you set off and take it with you? Really can't agree with that ... let's use the countryside as a playground, open gates (risk of infection), sit on benches (risk of infection), etc I'm sure you're getting the idea and who knows, potentially even eat into the local healthcare facilities but whatever you do, don't spend any money int' local shop. Nah, that's a very contrived message and a great way to breed resentment amongst rural communities.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've met Carlton Reid - bit of a buffoon / Walter Mitty type I felt and his book 'roads were not built for cars' is a lot of populist / road cc-esque twaddle with a few moderately interesting bits.
Hmm. maybe I can do a HT550 ITT after all......
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ta Phil, you've saved me £20(!) there then :smile: .

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:03 pm "Many still ride with traditional panniers, but the cool kids are now “bikepacking.” - so the 'old-fashioned' pics are just him acknowledging the 'old' way of doing things. And we're cool kids so that's nice too. Nobody's ever called me cool before.
You're propa* cool..

*I think thats how they'd write it SM aswell
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

I did a MTB loop in the Peak today (to/from home). I had taken all my own food and water filter. However, half way round, I stopped at the Bradwell Coop for a nice cold drink and some fresh food. Nobody batted an eyelid.

Bradwell is 12 miles from home. It is still in Derbyshire and still in England. - Does that count as local enough ? - It's all very arbitrary.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does that count as local enough ?
I'd say so. 12 miles would certainly be considered local round here.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

yes but that is rural 12 miles from me gets you to 4 connurbations of 100,000+ [ havng left one of a similar size]and passed a number of large towns on the way
I think I would nip into a shop fo rfood riding though if required but would set out trying to avoid this and be self sufficient [though I did take my water filter with me for the first ever time locally yesterday - got lucky though as the closed pubs outside tap was working
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Absolutely Jon, local or not will depend where you live but knowing the Peak well, I'd consider it local in that case.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Well thankfully we can trust each and every one of us to apply common sense to whatever question we face :wink:
Realisticlly we are all left making our own decisions a to what is reasonable and what irs not - as you note the answer is often it depends [dont know the Peak district]