Veneto Trail can anyone help and feel free to tag along!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

boxelder

Re: Veneto Trail can anyone help and feel free to tag along!

Post by boxelder »

Everything above aside - thanks Rich, to you and Javi and all the boys and girls in shorts and red shirts. All this would have been even more painful without Royal Mail. Hope you're able to get away.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In my eyes not at all!! people need to protect themselves and the people they hold dear to themselves.
Italy wants the tourists back as far as I can see and if they let me in I will come. Plan is to ride outside eat outside drink beer outside wash outside sleep outside. Had a belly full of people telling me what I should do in this country whilst I have worked every day since this Pandemic started delivery tat! Might sound harsh but people need to protect themselves this is going to keep going on for a long time yet. Upset a few people locally with my actions whilst doing what I love at zero risk to anyone else. I,ve never preached to anyone and certainly don't like being taken for a mug like the Italy Divide organiser who keeps throwing it back at me you can sell your place.

Rich
I reckon you're right Rich. People keep saying this isn't going away quickly and we'll need to learn to live with with it. I kinda think the crux is 'live'.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

postierich wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:09 pm You never know Jennride 2020 night happen if they sort out a bank Holiday in October :cool:
There's a Bank Holiday In December....
postierich

Post by postierich »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:55 pm
postierich wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:09 pm You never know Jennride 2020 night happen if they sort out a bank Holiday in October :cool:
There's a Bank Holiday In December....
I,m cruel but not that cruel!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Italy wants the tourists back as far as I can see and if they let me in I will come.
Rich, it'd be good to hear how people along the route are with tourists once you're back. I expect they'll welcome you. Probably a few that will be very cautious but the shops etc will have figured out their risk management. Basically, the authorities have opened up travel there and the economy needs tourism but how do locals seem to feel? It will be interesting to know. The few guys in Italy that I keep in contact with RE the TNR are keen to get back to riding and travel (carefully of course), as you'd expect. You're a tester here :grin: as I'd be too anxious about the flying side of it, I hate airports anyway though. I think my first ride outside of the UK will be a France tour via the ferry, more as I like that way of doing it more than any Covid influence though. So that counts Italy out unless I have a lot of time off..
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

You couldn't make it up! Monday this week I receive an email from Ryanair advertising flights from €19.99. I try booking a flight mirroring those that MrsPB has from Alicante to Newquay from 1st-5th of July. Nothing available on Wed 1st, just weekend flights for the forseeable. Tuesday, MrsPB gets an email advising that the time of her flight on the 1st has been changed by about an hour, can she tell them that that is acceptable. Cue much confusion. Today she gets an email cancelling the flight and a link to apply for a refund. Currently trying to establish that the refund is for both flights otherwise she's in a Catch 22 situation of having a live flight back from Newquay but no way of getting there.
Not sure if this has been done here but one bit of good news for anyone planning to play book a flight roulette in the near future, Easyjet will take hold luggage and bikes for £1 at the moment.
Chew

Post by Chew »

I think that’s just Ryanair, being Ryanair....

Think they are just chancing things in the hope that we’ll all be flying by July and planning/selling flights on that basis.
Personally I wouldn’t be booking anything until the last minute, as there are a lot of ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ at the moment and there’s nothing to stop cancelling the flight at a later date if things are not commercially viable for them.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My Ryanair flight refunds were done on their Web form and it's for a booking reference, not a flight number, so includes the return flights.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

That's reassuring, did you get a full refund inc extras? Mrs PB always adds the "do you want to pay extra for a seat?" option or some such nonsense. I've heard that some carriers refuse to refund hold luggage extras for some unknown reason.
Chew

Post by Chew »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52765054
Puts a spanner in the works for any international travel for the foreseeable.

Also this is the current situation from the Foreign Office
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy
It could change, but as it things like insurance wont be valid.
postierich

Post by postierich »

Spain have relaxed their Quarantine hopefully Italy will do the same!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52800611
postierich

Post by postierich »

Well flights have been confirmed and I,m flying on the 4th but they have changed the airport so a longer ride to the start!! flight gets in late so managed to book a hostel for the night and hopefully I will be able to leave my box there.
Hoping the quarantine thing will calm down but it is what it is i take my risks and will limit my contact and get tested as soon as I get back I,m able to with work why they don't test people as soon as they arrive in the uk baffles me.
Someone did send me the GPX of lasts years route but I have lost them anyone point me in the right direction to upload please !
Rich
postierich

Post by postierich »

Looking good no isolation hopefully
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53104733
FLV

Post by FLV »

postierich wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:05 pm Looking good no isolation hopefully
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53104733
how did you get on Rich?

Im considering attending the Tuscany Trail, be good to hear how it was.

Shops, cafes, accomodation, airport left luggage etc etc

Cheers
postierich

Post by postierich »

Hi Guys and Gals been back a few days now so thought I would report back!
vaguely exciting trip in extreme temps which was to be expected. Route takes you around towns so was always coming off route to find supplies water. First day was a mare, Sunday! as shops were shut and we had no gas took us two full days to find the stuff that works with our stoves! So a tip is to get it in Mestre the posh outdoor shops sell it hardware stores don't!
Rivers up high were basically dry so was glad I took my MSR filter, tent was used, mainly just the inner but used an outer as well due to the forecast that evening the rain did not come but it was very dewy!
Take masks as you will not get in the shops bars without one I took several as they got grubby dusty quite quickly.
They are desperate for people to visit so do not feel bad going Refrigos closed early 6pm and you could not stop!
Train connections were really good from Mestre we stopped @ Anda Hostel and it was ace £15 per night and we took bike in rooms and they looked after the boxes until we came back. Airport shuttle to Mestre train station then 5 min walk to the Hostel. We got the train to Castelefranco as connections were really frequent then it was a 20 minute ride to Cittedelle to the start!
https://www.andavenice.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/145353521 ... 5105737418
Image108236535_10158818386391474_7769691853007135908_n by Richard Munro, on Flickr
Image108860071_10158818386046474_2951182619955023898_n by Richard Munro, on Flickr
Image106996627_10158788564576474_1276967518087178890_n by Richard Munro, on Flickr
Last edited by postierich on Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLV

Post by FLV »

postierich wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:55 am Hi Guys and Gals been back a few days now so thought I would report back!
Thanks Rich,

Glad you had a good trip,

I had thought that local businesses would be glad to see tourists back in the area, it sounds like so long as you respect the requirements (masks etc) that you're welcomed there.

Good to hear.