200km route around Perthshire

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robbie

200km route around Perthshire

Post by robbie »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sCBBik ... sp=sharing

I've spent a bit of time riding all this in sections and decided to stick it all together in case anyone is interested in a route in the Perthshire hills. I'm planning to ride the full thing once lockdown is lifted.
It's 200km and a bit lumpy, some great views, well I've been lucky with the weather lately :-bd
Let me know if you can't get the link to work.
robbie

Re: 200km route around Perthshire

Post by robbie »

OK scrap that seems the link dosn't work. Whats the best way to host a gpx file? :lol: :roll:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The route works for me if I download it and then open it in Basecamp.

You could try saving it to somewhere like Komoot, Plotaroute, ridewithgps etc You can make it Private and only viewable to those who have the link.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Chucking in the biggest hill in an extra loop at mile 100 is bold :grin:
robbie

Post by robbie »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:58 am Nice, thanks for sharing.

Chucking in the biggest hill in an extra loop at mile 100 is bold :grin:
:lol: Its a fair push up I'm afraid. But a nice if a little rocky in places decent and worth it for the views on a nice day.
all optional I suppose depending how you are feeling miss it out if you feel the need :o
Just thought I'd share it for anyone in the area or visiting. There are a couple of private bothies on route. I know 2 of them are usually open, basic but usable and there is a nice covered porch beside loch Meallbrodden.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good one Robbie, done a fair chunk of that but a few sections I'd eyed up but not got round too. Look forward to doing it sometime this summer......
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Sounds good. I've walked/run up the other side of the valley to Ben Chonzie. Quite a remote feeling given how close it is to Crieff.

How would you describe the terrain on the rest of the route? I'm guessing it would be a proper MTB route rather than "gravel" but is there much technical riding other than that descent?
robbie

Post by robbie »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:08 pm Sounds good. I've walked/run up the other side of the valley to Ben Chonzie. Quite a remote feeling given how close it is to Crieff.

How would you describe the terrain on the rest of the route? I'm guessing it would be a proper MTB route rather than "gravel" but is there much technical riding other than that descent?
I've done it all on my "gravel bike" running 700 x 43mm panaracer sk. So is all doable on a gravel bike but would honestly say there will be a couple of descents that you would enjoy more on a mtb. but doable on anything with at least 40mm tyres for comfort. When I do the complete route I'm either going for the gravel bike with 650 x 47mm or my rigid single speed mtb.
robbie

Post by robbie »

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1125079?units=km
Thanks for the heads up on plot a route Scotroutes. I can't seem to make kamoot work it always changes any route I upload even although I tell it to keep as original.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

robbie wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:42 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:08 pm Sounds good. I've walked/run up the other side of the valley to Ben Chonzie. Quite a remote feeling given how close it is to Crieff.

I've done it all on my "gravel bike" running 700 x 43mm panaracer sk. So is all doable on a gravel bike but would honestly say there will be a couple of descents that you would enjoy more on a mtb. but doable on anything with at least 40mm tyres for comfort. When I do the complete route I'm either going for the gravel bike with 650 x 47mm or my rigid single speed mtb.
Sounds like a MTB route for me then - much as I like my gravel bike, I've taken it on enough rides where I've thought "I'm not racing this, why didn't I bring a proper bike?" to know now :grin: