Is There Such a Thing as a Decent, Lightweight Combination Lock?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

The Cumbrian

Is There Such a Thing as a Decent, Lightweight Combination Lock?

Post by The Cumbrian »

As per the title really. Is there such a thing as a relatively secure coil type combination lock, or are the expensive ones not much better than the cheapos?
Last edited by The Cumbrian on Fri May 15, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Taylor

Re: Is There Such a Thing ar a Decent, Lightweight Combination Lock?

Post by Taylor »

As a locksmith of nearly 20 years I feel I can have some authority on this thread.

No
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Ha ha, I thought not.

I should have been a little more specific. Which of the easily cuttable cable locks is the least bad?
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
BenS

Post by BenS »

I use a lightlock silver for some of my audax rides. It’s 600gr but feel like I can actually leave the bike out of sight and not have worry too much. Accepting the weight was the result of asking similar questions to the ones I think you’re asking
psling

Post by psling »

Disc brakes? Combi padlock through rotor?

Stops the opportunist thief who doesn't want to put in time or effort.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

i have an ottolock hexband 76cm which is 250g. they appear on sportpursuit now and then so u dont gotta pay fullwhack if u dont mind waiting [edit: £60 from sigma sports]. can be cut through but they all can. seems like an okay weight/security balance.

the rotar padlock idea sounds great if ur not worried about not having it locked to something
Last edited by shutupthepunx on Fri May 15, 2020 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I use a hiplock z lok combo for bikepacking, normally locking the rear wheel to the frame in some way- as psling says it won't stop a pro but it'll slow an opportunist.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

This is one reason I miss my rohloff bike, stick it in first gear and undoing the gearbox with your fingers took 2 secs , no one was going anywhere on it that you couldn't catch on foot :)
FLV

Post by FLV »

For me theres a few situations

1, unplanned hungry shop stop = nothing / my helmet strap through the wheel and maunally dropping the chain.
2, planned hungry shop stop = https://mobil.abus.com/uk/on-road/Locks ... 5?type=pdp
3, planned pub stop = https://mobil.abus.com/uk/on-road/Locks ... k?type=pdp
4, Leaving it outside all day whilst in work = https://www.kryptonitelock.com/content/ ... pe=bicycle
and https://mobil.abus.com/uk/on-road/Locks ... k?type=pdp

Obviously only the last two locks in number 4 have a chance of stopping a determined thief with a bit of time on thier hands and even then, its time limited.

Number 2 is only there to look like a lock really, number 3 will hopefully last long enough for me to eat a pie and stop the oppotunist.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

When doing something like WRT I don't bother with any lock as I'm normally trundling along with a small group.
If I'm riding solo I have a retrak alarm padlock that I think I picked up from PC world but by the looks of it they've stopped production.
This is very similar, it won't stop a thief but it'll put out nearly 120dB of noise which should hopefully make them put the bike down or alert you to the neanderthal fiddling with your bike.

Pretty light too.

LogiLink Security Padlock With Alarm Function for use with or without alarm Pack of 1, Black, black, SC0212 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NCRH6HP/ ... VEbW4XCR01
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

Taylor wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:34 am but by the looks of it they've speed production
i imagine there's more money in making phet anyway
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

shutupthepunx wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:49 am
Taylor wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:34 am but by the looks of it they've speed production
i imagine there's more money in making phet anyway
Fixed it now, should've said stopped.
Thisisnotaspoon

Re: Is There Such a Thing as a Decent, Lightweight Combination Lock?

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

Im tempted to MYOG a lock. after losing my little alarmed one somewhere North of Peebles.

Something like 2.5mm stainless wire (dinghy rigging) threaded/spliced into some dyenema. Should resist anything shy of bolt cutters and not weigh all that much, just add a small padlock.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Taylor wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:06 pm As a locksmith of nearly 20 years I feel I can have some authority on this thread.

No
I had come to a similar conclusion before U bought my Master Lock padlock with a seperate cable. Feel chuffed I got it right... Thanks Taylor
Mike

Post by Mike »

I bought a big fecking rottweiler to take running on rides and tie it to my bike when in cafes :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

Mike wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:01 am I bought a big fecking rottweiler to take running on rides and tie it to my bike when in cafes :-bd
Does it let you near your bike?😂
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

slarge wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:34 am
Mike wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:01 am I bought a big fecking rottweiler to take running on rides and tie it to my bike when in cafes :-bd
Does it let you near your bike?😂
He doesn't know - there was a bitch on heat and the dog took off taking his bike with it! :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

Simple answer, no. The biggest factor in bike theft is where you leave the bike and at what time. If someone really wants the bike there is not a lock on the market that cannot be broken. The main deterrent is visibility imho. If m out bike packing I don't take a lock I just tie something very noisy to be the wheel, tbh though I've never had a problem. I've had two bikes stolen, all in towns and all had good locks on them. CCTV caught the last one.. Took him about 60 seconds to break a Kryptonite New York d lock. Decent pair of bolt croppers will be through any cable in seconds. Battery angle grinder for the rest.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I found a combination lock earlier this year, posted on the local Facegroup but nobody claimed it so it's mine. It's a 4 digit thing from Halfords but how to open it? Five minutes watching the Lock Picking Lawyer on Youtube and I had the thing opened in under 30 seconds. I've got a small Abus combination lock I carry just in case, I can open that blindfold in under 30 seconds as well.

I used to carry a lock with a key. A few years ago I caught the train from London to Plymouth then cycled up to a pub on the edge of Dartmore. Had dinner and went to find a bivi spot for the night, wrong key. Yup, a couple of hundred miles from home with a padlocked bike and the wrong key. For reasons known only to himself, the chef had an angle grinder in the boot of his car.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

The lock picking lawyer is frighteningly quick although when you understand how various locks work is quite simple too defeat them.