What tents do you lot use

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

firestarter

Re: What tents do you lot use

Post by firestarter »

Looks good for the price and has been mentioned a couple of times nick, I'm debating lol I'd love the newer shorter pole version but it costs much more than you can pick up a normal one for
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I wouldn’t discount single wall shelters out of hand, my nordisk telemark ( great tent) would, with the right conditions suffer from condensation, any tent will. Eventually the inner can be just as damp. Twin wall are not an absolute cure for soggy bottoms ends of sleeping bags. Anything you pick needs to have enough room to keep your kit away from the walls.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Sorry I missed your rim post steve I'll pass though thanks I'll have to get a full wheel if i go for it.

Tent wise I've seen a laser comp at a decent price but id have liked the short pole version but too much money and no groundsheet are available

The lunar solo is probably looking favourite at the min maybe with a bb pole

Although I've lots more to look at now and the big agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 Bikepacking Tent looks interesting too
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Found a good price for a lunar solo but then had a look at the nordisk telemark mmm.. very nice

I might just stick with mine as I cant decide and love the space agh......
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Two person - we've the Big Agnes Copper Spur. Bought before they introduced the "bikepacking" version with shorter pole sections. We've also got the footprint for it so if we split it between us then we are carrying 750g each which is on a par with the likes of the Lunar Solo. It's quite luxurious and because of the near vertical side panels there's a lot of room.

One person - we've an SMD Gatewood tarp, the newer, lighter version @ 285g. Combined with a Borah Gear bivy bag and one of Stu's carbon fibre poles and pegs it comes to 570g. Could knock a bit, 90g or so, off that by replacing the bivy bag with one of those Nano bug nets.

To go lighter than that you are looking at cuben fibre and/or a plain tarp along with a lightweight bivy bag: a Trekkertent DCF tarp, Borah Gear DCF bivy and carbon pole and pegs comes to 350g.

Looking around at other offerings the above three options fit into the general categories of: 750g+ per person for luxury; 500g-700g PP for basic; sub 500g PP for ultralight with quite a few compromises.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

If I decide/need to take a tent for bikepacking trips it's either;

Six Moon Designs Deschutes (the naked one). Sometimes in use naked, sometimes with a plastic ground sheet (mostly), self made bathtub floor or ripstop nylon/net. For a pole I use an old hiking pole with 150 g. And depending on conditions (weather/ground) various types of stakes, from 4 g to 24 g apiece.
This is for solo trips.

Locus Gear Khufu.
Pretty much as above, only bigger and a bit more wind resistant. Also DIY inner and floor. Mostly in use when my girlfriend and I go on long distance hikes (4 or more weeks), but also for bikepacking trips.
Has seen some big trips across 3 continents.
Pitched with one or two hiking poles and stakes depending on conditions.

Go Lite Shangri La 3.
Again, pretty much as above only bigger again. A palace for two. Got 2 cheap when Go Lite went bancrupt and are on our second Ookworks inner. For some trips we also just use a DIY floor - as above...
Yet, we don't use the hiking poles to pitch it, as they flex and vibrate too much for a calm night when nature is going berserk. Stake choices as always by conditions.

I made some improvements to make them more capable for my/our use; for the Deschutes larger stake out loops, added guylines, for the Khufu, which is first gen more guylines and after the 3C zip failed I put in a 5C)
... they can take one hell of a beating given a strong pole and tied down well. They're all really light, especially for the provided space and protection.

Deschutes naked 380 g
Full inner (incl. floor) 320 g
Floor about 100 g
Plastic floor 40 g
Pole 150 g

Khufu naked 500 g
Full 2 person inner (incl. floor) 420 g
2 p Floor 210 g.
Pole(s) 150 or 312 g
Pole connector (when in use with two poles) 80 g

Shangri La 3 650 g
Full 2 person inner (incl. floor) 5 g
2 p Floor 210 g.
Pole 260 g or 320 g depending on conditions.

Stakes vary much, for the Deschutes 6 are the minimum, if I use the bike 5 would do too.
Khufu would go with a minimum of 4 stakes and the Shangri La with 6, but since we like camp spots with a view, we are mostly in exposed places, so nearly always go with a full set of stakes which can be anywhere from about 120 to about 500 g (snow).

Did I mention how much I like mids?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

ub 500g PP for ultralight with quite a few compromises.
especially in the wallet
Cuben is very expensive for reduced packability, lifespan and minimal weight saving - better water management will save you more weight and is considerably cheaper
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

I did my first tour with a forclaz 2 man "ultralight" 2kg tent. was a good bit of kit but then i decided that 2kg was too heavy.

So I got a Terra Nova laser competition 1 which was very lightweight, packed small and seemed durable....but when sleeping it felt like a coffin and after one week long tour I sold it.

I then got an MSR Hubba NX. this was light (not as light as the TN though), had a good amount of headroom when lying down, went up well and I know from experience it's very waterproof. I used this on a few bikepacking trips in the UK and europe.

Only issue with it was the pack size, the pole sections are 50cm long and quite bulky too which for how I pack wasn't brilliant.

So recently after a few lockdown drinks I ordered the snappily named Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 1 Bikepacking tent.

My first impressions of it are very good. Obviously I haven't used it in anger yet but it ticks all my boxes: Light, small pack size (can go at the front on my drop bar bike) its got a shitload of headroom at its bigger end and lots of nice features including a built in gear loft, lots of pockets and a helmet holder thing.

Downsides? It's not cheap and the materials are quite thin. I'm generally pretty good with looking after gear so i'm not overly concerned.

Really looking forwards to using it.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:25 am The SMD Skyscape looks an interesting option. It's still a hybrid design but features plenty of mesh on the 'inner' so again should breath well. the heavier version looks good value at £150 but you'll need to factor poles in: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ent-p10300
This is what I use, I love it.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I've tried a few heres the main ones.

Lunar Solo, really good. Pack size small compared to tent, big compared to a bivi. I've never tried it in properly rough weather and personally I'm not sure I would trust it. Only one way to find out though.
This is the best middle ground between tarp and tent I've used for sure. Still have this

Terra Nova laser, Great once up, not heavy, I found it a little annoying with the fiddly little poles at the ends. The pole cover was something that I didnt like too. Never let me down though, good tent. Sold this.

MSR Hubba 1, quite a while ago. This worked really well but the inner was a bit narrow at the time and I sold it on the hunt for more space as I was a bit more toury at the time. Good tent I recall, I wouldnt mind another newer one.

Alpkit soloist. Used once to far. Small inside. I can just about sit up haunched over. 1.4kg ready to use so on the heavier side. Great value though it would seem so far. Still have this for now

MacPac microlight. Not light at about 1.7kg. Roomy though and ha stood up to some monstrous weather. If I happened to be packing panniers (which I dont own anymore) this would go in for sure. I'd be really unlikely to take it on bikepacking trips. Still have this

Macpac Mineret. Used for 3 people trips, 3 being me + wife + small child. Bit of a squeeze still with all the suff but a great tent. Also used for motorbike trips where the colthing is the size of another person. Its also stood for some horrific weather. Its almose like triggers broom with a new floor and pole sections, but not quite. Still have this

*there have been several others, but thought thats enough...
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

MSR Hubba 1, quite a while ago. This worked really well but the inner was a bit narrow at the time and I sold it on the hunt for more space as I was a bit more toury at the time. Good tent I recall, I wouldnt mind another newer one.
I bought this off yo Dave, and still have it... :-bd
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

1 person - vango helium 200. It’s not perfect as there isn’t much headroom sitting up and ventilation could be better. However, it’s light and packs small so I put up with the minor gripes I have.

2/3 People - big Agnes copper spur hv ul3. These tents are great and can easily fit 3 adults but only weighs 1.8kg. I would love the solo version for single use to replace the vango but can’t justify the cost. Only issue with the 3 man is the length of poles limit packing options (strapped to pack is easiest).
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

So many options christ on a bike :) I must say I do like the pyramid with a single inner as it just has so much space but it is a bit of a lump but to get lighter is more money and also more fragile

The nordisk does look lovely as does the big agnes but a fair chunk of money

The TN looks good but a bit of a fiddle tbh

I'll have to have a think as if I'm gonna spend I still want space but it would need to be considerably lighter to make it worth while

A light pyramid with a single inner is still my favourite design but the lunar solo looks not far off that

Cheers all
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I bought a TN Photon Elite for around £230 iirc in 2011. I was heading to the Tour Divide and did not like my ancient (1990ish) Vango LW tent. It has been all over the place, Tur Divide, Aotearoa, BAM's and other trips in Europe. Poles broke 2 years ago and I ended up replacing them rather than getting something else. Could not make my mind up. Considering how light it is I have been surprised how long it has lasted.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Blackhound wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:27 pm I bought a TN Photon Elite for around £230 iirc in 2011.
Was that a Laser Photon?

Ta
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

@FLV - Yes it was a Laser, sorry.
FLV

Post by FLV »

stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Lunar Solo - I love this. - I grin from ear to ear whenever I pitch it and get in (and I'm 6'1").
Outdoor Research Helium Bivy bag (with midge head net) - For stuff like the Highland Trail where I might want/need to stop anywhere. - I can just about get changed in fully zipped up but would usually sleep with my head out and the zips snug at my neck unless it was tipping down.
Various Tarps (Rab Siltap 1, DD 3x3)
MSR Carbon Reflex 3 for lightweight "family" adventures (when I am carrying everything !)
FLV

Post by FLV »

Teetosugars wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:22 am
I bought this off yo Dave, and still have it... :-bd
I remember while ago now that
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

cheap and cheerful Vango Banshee...I usually ditch the inner and just use the fly... Stands up to pretty much anything.
Boab

Post by Boab »

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

Something, something, leader not follower, something, something...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

My only worry with the lunar solo is the condensation I think, I think from my experience with the mini peak the inner net helps reduce brushing against it.
I'd looked at a deschutes with an inner possibly but then the lanshan looks the same with more space
I dunno I'd probably have bought a lunar solo if I didnt have to seal it and the 5 piece pole was in stock in the uk shop
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I dunno I'd probably have bought a lunar solo if I didnt have to seal it and the 5 piece pole was in stock in the uk shop
Never sealed mine or my Gatewood cape and only ever suffered a couple of drips from the end panel tie-outs and other poles which don't flex are available :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way