Harness V Cradle help

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

drjon

Re: Harness V Cradle help

Post by drjon »

I designed the bar mounted strap deck to face down ideally. This keeps the bag under the bars and closer to the head tube, which is better for steering input and lines of vision. If your stem is very short obviously you can rotate it around to the desired or required position. I can't think of many bars that are 31.8 or shim-able to 31.8 that would be a problem. the clamps are 12mm wide so as long as there is around this on either side of the stem, you are golden.

The spacer washers are so the strap deck can be adjusted to clear the stem face plate bolts, but they are not neccessary to use in all cases - indeed, if the concavity of the deck is facing forward, id suggest you dont use them. Again, weight kept as close to the steering axis makes things better!

Above is a small bag mounted under the bars. If you look close you might see this is the Proto syntace twin fix version but the clamping position is exactly the same as if you used G-funks, rotated so the concavity of the strap deck faces down. indeed, the G-funk was designed to achieve the same set up if you didn't have a syntace twin fix stem!
GirlBikeVan

Post by GirlBikeVan »

restlessshawn wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:33 pm
GirlBikeVan wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:48 pm My bars are a funny shape

"would have to shim up from 25.4 I guess"

No idea what that means :wink:
ootini

Post by ootini »

stevenshand wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:33 pm
faustus wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:27 am Worth checking this, it's just been made available from Wildcat...

https://wildcat.cc/collections/accessor ... rks-g-funk

Those clamps plus a strapdeck (same site), and you have the same/very similar as a salsa EXP but cheaper
I was just about to post this, so good job. I was thinking about putting together a package deal with the GFunk clamps, Strapdeck and straps for an additional saving.
Saw this myself for the first time today, it looks very nice and would be really interested in the bundle if you do put one together.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

I've not managed to work out how to do a bundle in an easy way using our store so I've added a temporary discount code 'FUNKBUNDLE' that'll give you 15% off any purchase with at least 3 items in your basket.
GirlBikeVan

Post by GirlBikeVan »

stevenshand wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:16 pm I've not managed to work out how to do a bundle in an easy way using our store so I've added a temporary discount code 'FUNKBUNDLE' that'll give you 15% off any purchase with at least 3 items in your basket.
Hi Steve, i've placed an order but the voile straps are out of stock so couldn't order those. Any idea if you're getting them soon? I'd like them from you as you've helped me out :-bd
GirlBikeVan

Post by GirlBikeVan »

Well i've received the Strapdeck and G-Funk bar clamps, attached to my bike with fully stuffed front roll and it's assembled perfectly. Far less faff than the Alpkit harness I have. Just waiting for the Voile straps now. all at a cost of £69 instead of £125 for the Salsa Anything cradle. Thanks Steve Shand and drj0n whoever you are :)
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

GirlBikeVan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:51 pm Well i've received the Strapdeck and G-Funk bar clamps, attached to my bike with fully stuffed front roll and it's assembled perfectly. Far less faff than the Alpkit harness I have. Just waiting for the Voile straps now. all at a cost of £69 instead of £125 for the Salsa Anything cradle. Thanks Steve Shand and drj0n whoever you are :)
Thanks! Coincidentally, I just paid my customs invoice for the latest drop of Voile straps which means they should be with me and back in stock in a couple of days.
GirlBikeVan

Post by GirlBikeVan »

stevenshand wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:46 pm
GirlBikeVan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:51 pm Well i've received the Strapdeck and G-Funk bar clamps, attached to my bike with fully stuffed front roll and it's assembled perfectly. Far less faff than the Alpkit harness I have. Just waiting for the Voile straps now. all at a cost of £69 instead of £125 for the Salsa Anything cradle. Thanks Steve Shand and drj0n whoever you are :)
Thanks! Coincidentally, I just paid my customs invoice for the latest drop of Voile straps which means they should be with me and back in stock in a couple of days.
Shame. I ordered them from the bum butter guy! BTW are you the Steve Shand of Shand bikes? They're nice bikes!
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

GirlBikeVan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:16 am BTW are you the Steve Shand of Shand bikes? They're nice bikes!
Guilty as charged. Thank you. BTW, I think drj0n wants to use a quote you sent me in his marketing material. "it's easy as pish!"
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

stevenshand wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:16 pm I've not managed to work out how to do a bundle in an easy way using our store so I've added a temporary discount code 'FUNKBUNDLE' that'll give you 15% off any purchase with at least 3 items in your basket.
Good shout Steve - any idea when the large strap deck will be back in stock?

How do the nano straps compare with the regular ones?

Cheers
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:48 pm any idea when the large strap deck will be back in stock?
On order, being made right now I think, so not too long hopefully.
ZeroDarkBivi wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:48 pm How do the nano straps compare with the regular ones?
They're narrower and I find them probably a little more useful for general duties but regular ones probably better for using with StrapDecks etc. I've just had a new drop of all Voile straps so the webshop will be updated with this new stock today hopefully.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Great idea
GirlBikeVan

Post by GirlBikeVan »

stevenshand wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:24 pm
GirlBikeVan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:16 am BTW are you the Steve Shand of Shand bikes? They're nice bikes!
Guilty as charged. Thank you. BTW, I think drj0n wants to use a quote you sent me in his marketing material. "it's easy as pish!"
Not a problem. If he can use my username GirlBikeVan. It's more than just a username:)
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Apologies for the dull question; I've not used Voile straps before for securing bags on the bike.

What size/length do I need to use with a strap-deck cradle to secure 5 and 8 litre size dry-bags?
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:45 pm Apologies for the dull question; I've not used Voile straps before for securing bags on the bike.
What size/length do I need to use with a strap-deck cradle to secure 5 and 8 litre size dry-bags?
I think 20" works well or 25" if you want the added security wrapping round the bars too. Longer is better than shorter. (other than prison sentences).
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

stevenshand wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:11 pm
ZeroDarkBivi wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:45 pm Apologies for the dull question; I've not used Voile straps before for securing bags on the bike.
I think 20" works well or 25" if you want the added security wrapping round the bars too. Longer is better than shorter. (other than prison sentences).
Thanks Steve, but I'm now a bit confused. The website has a picture of standard lengths being 15/20/25", but the purchase options are 12/15/20"
What am I missing here?
Smaller is always better - lighter, and less nasty loose ends flapping in the breeze... that messes with my OCD!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Longer is gooder. You can stash a wet jacket under the straps to avoid packing it somewhere.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:41 am less nasty loose ends flapping in the breeze... that messes with my OCD!
This is what you need

https://wildcat.cc/collections/accessor ... keeper-4pk

Should be compulsory for all strap use, there is no excuse for a flapping end!
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

May i ask the pros and cons of Dr Jons holder and the original wildcat harness please?

Have the wildcat harness but wanting something that will ‘sit’ higher as have moved from a rigid fork to a suspended one