Post by BigdummySteve »

Looks like a good day out, the caravan :lol:
There is an ISIS Childcare near here :lol:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
techno

Re: WhereYouAre Ride Thing 2020

Post by techno »

BigdummySteve wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:26 am Looks like a good day out, the caravan :lol:
There is an ISIS Childcare near here :lol:
Haha, bit unfortunate that!
yeah it was good thanks Steve. got real lucky with the weather :cool:
techno

Post by techno »

double post
Last edited by techno on Wed May 13, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've finished my 'Media Project' :wink:

When I first decided to video my WRT it was just to add some interest to the weekend and give me something else to distract me, but I actually quite enjoyed the making and editing so I might keep it up.

I'd decided that I should make sure I had all of the required features for a bikepackign video so we have atmospheric music, all the standard shots of fitting luggage and riding, the checked shirt and fitted baggies, posh coffee and not forgetting the danglemug :grin:

This is the first video I've edited so go easy with your Barry Norman impressions :wink: It's ended up longer than I had planned as well but fortunately time is something a lot of us have at the moment.

https://youtu.be/5poYdjEMoN4
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Marvellous! Cannes here you come :smile: .

I found it strangely soothing. Much depends on the style of music accompanying vids and yours was very mellow. If you'd used the Toy Dolls the effect would have been more akin to the 'gung ho' type of MTB vids. The general air felt a bit like BPL Bob's tarp vid.

Then again it couldn't have been gung-ho anyway because the main bit missing was the shot-from-ground-level riding-through-a-puddle-and-splashing-the-camera sequence :smile: .

There were lots of different camera positions/locations to keep interest up, and the Benny Hill speeded up bits jollied it all along.

What I liked best was there was just as much 'bivvy' stuff as 'riding'. You didn't rush through the supposedly mundane acts of bivvy setup and takedown, sorting your food out etc. Good for any 'amateurs' watching it.

Many of that type of vid have no humour so it was great to involve Ralph and his bivvy bag!

I was also amused that the blooming coffee making sequence was longer than the the blasted ride! :roll:

:-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Very good, top work in the # gravelw*nker impression it’s like you were born for it :wink:
Ooh what was the little stand you were using? Looks ideal for little jobs rather than getting the big stand out.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:37 am I was also amused that the blooming coffee making sequence was longer than the the blasted ride! :roll:
When I started I was aiming for a parody of the typical film but ended up making a typical video, perhaps they are all parodies of one film from years back and I hadn't realised? This is by no means a criticism of that style of video, I enjoy watching them, but I didn't think I could make a serious film about riding tame trails within 10km of my house :smile:

The laid back feel was intentional, after all I only covered about 75 miles over 3 days, and the 'event' is about the bivis.

Also, it's easy to end up with loads of footage of the bivi bit. I filmed all the pitching, coffee making, packing up etc in real time so have much more footage to choose from. The riding shots are hard work to film on your own*

I'm pleased you liked it, I was worried it might be a bit boring, although the main reason for deciding to make it was for my own amusement so I achieved that at least.

*The eagle eyed will spot a panning shot that gives away that Jane rode with me on the first 2 days which coincided with the two days the sun was out and the routes not involving the hills :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

BigdummySteve wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:49 am Very good, top work in the # gravelw*nker impression it’s like you were born for it :wink:
Ooh what was the little stand you were using? Looks ideal for little jobs rather than getting the big stand out.
I grew the beard for a week of so before the weekend especially for the film as I thought that was a key ingredient of the #gravelw@anker look :lol:

I made the stand a couple of years ago, it's to take away with me when doing events. It's much easier to fit bags to a bike, put the wheels back on/take off etc. if the bike is upright. Apart from the bolt at the pivot (it folds flat) all the materials were scavenged from old furniture that was being thrown out at work, bits of table legs and a bit of chair leg.

It fits into the hollow centre of the cranks. My LBS has similar stands for the new bikes on display which is where I got the idea. They are commercially available. Unfortunately the cranks on my Spearfish BB30 and don't have the hollow centre so I'll have to make another stand for that which holds the rear wheel.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Hmmm butcher an ‘A’ frame guitar stand......

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Nice vid Sean. Good to see Ralph getting stuck in as well

Liking the coffee set up, although 1 mark knocked off for not brewing with the upside down method and another for not warming the mug.

Steve, those bike stands are commercially available from here - https://andystand.co.uk/

Abba also do something a bit similar (I have one of their motorbike stands) - https://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail ... and&pid=41
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

Rear wheel bike stand:
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Minoura-DS520- ... gKesPD_BwE#

I have one similar, works well.
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

That was a good video, I enjoyed that!
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Great to read all of your mini adventures, sadly I came across all of this too late otherwise I’d have loved to have taken part.

Now, who used their trowel in their garden? That would’ve been the full bivvy experience
Verena

Post by Verena »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:29 pm Great to read all of your mini adventures, sadly I came across all of this too late otherwise I’d have loved to have taken part.
Same here! Meanwhile I've been hatching a plan for a little adventure of my own, to replace my holiday on Anglesey first week of June, which I can't see happening.... With a week off work, multi day overnight bikepacking off the cards, I'm going to explore all the little lanes in my ten mile radius, taking a segment each day, pizza 🍕 slice style 😀
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Next time, I'll send you a rubber turd to enhance your mug Sean and where did you find that winky-wanky music :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:48 am Next time, I'll send you a rubber turd to enhance your mug Sean and where did you find that winky-wanky music :-bd
The mug was ironic and especially for you but I think that might be lost on the wider world who see it and think it's the right way to carry ones cup. By the end of the third day when it rained the inside of the mug had a good coating of mud, ideal for drinking from :-bd

In addition, I dropped it on a concrete path when I undid the buckle and damaged the enameling so it's not actually safe to use now as it has bits of loose enamel coming off inside :sad: which serves me right for parodying the #gravelw@ankers.

As for the music, I googled 'royalty free music' and found a website full of such delights :grin: I thought it went well with my Salsa?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Reg, there was no real theme to the grid refs I sent, maybe “corners/bends in bridleways” was as far as my simple mind got :grin:

Glad you enjoyed them
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good as any! :smile: Or, "views of Milton Keynes snow dome" :???:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Unfinished business! I had just two of Reg's GRs to polish off last Sunday, but with my shoulder giving me increasing levels of pain I thought better to wait a little while as I had the chance.

Anyways, a wee bit of road riding to start with the first bridleway off from the road straight through a garden centre near Harvington. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get through here but not only were they open but there were loads of folks milling about. So much for social distancing. Straight through no problems.

Arable farmland again here, good view though.
ImageWRT 2020 better late than never by Richard Picton, on Flickr

A bit more road and then a new to me little loop of bridleways, with the farm in the middle of the triangle having a good stock of different sized horses all the way from an XXL 29er

Down to a BMX pony!

Then on to the first target of the day

Another bridleway loop through the orchards

And then down into Fladbury where as luck would have it the only shop in the village was open and doing a decent trade...

Their fare is every bit the equal of "that shop" in Lochinver, if you see what I mean. You tell me that this isn't essential travel!

Suitably replenished, it was on to the last ref. Along a nice gravel road with a hint (if you squint a bit) of Strada Bianchi

Job done, just a short road ride back home.
Many thanks to JC for the inspiration, and to Reg for the grid refs and for persuading me to take part. Nice one fellas!
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
RIP

Post by RIP »

Better late than never indeed. Good on yer Rich for sticking with it. The perspective makes that pie look the same size as your wheel. Or WAS it a 29" pie??

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:36 pm Good as any! :smile: Or, "views of Milton Keynes snow dome" :???:
My favourite view of MK was in the rear mirror :wink:

RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:48 am
RIP wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:36 pm Good as any! :smile: Or, "views of Milton Keynes snow dome" :???:
My favourite view of MK was in the rear mirror :wink:
With the 'dimmer' lever flicked over too probably...

99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

sean_iow wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:00 am I've finished my 'Media Project' :wink:

When I first decided to video my WRT it was just to add some interest to the weekend and give me something else to distract me, but I actually quite enjoyed the making and editing so I might keep it up.

I'd decided that I should make sure I had all of the required features for a bikepackign video so we have atmospheric music, all the standard shots of fitting luggage and riding, the checked shirt and fitted baggies, posh coffee and not forgetting the danglemug :grin:

This is the first video I've edited so go easy with your Barry Norman impressions :wink: It's ended up longer than I had planned as well but fortunately time is something a lot of us have at the moment.

https://youtu.be/5poYdjEMoN4
Enjoyed that - proper coffee too... following (?stalking) you next time :grin:
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:00 am
As for the music, I googled 'royalty free music' and found a website full of such delights :grin: I thought it went well with my Salsa?
You've got a bit of competition Sean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG1Vej2 ... tion=share :smile:

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I saw that, it's very good. It must have taken him days to film. For the riding shots he would have to take a pic, get up, move all the tee-shirts that are the road on a tiny bit, get back on in the exactly the same position except rotating the cracks slightly take a pic and repeat.

Much respect for producing that :-bd