bottle cage

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

bottle cage

Post by RIP »

The infamous gaffer tape bottle cage stem cell has finally given up the ghost during the V-WRT after a few years sterling service. I've manufactured a new one at great expense. Due to technological advances over the last couple of years there's also a 10% weight reduction - from 10g down to 9g :-bd .

So that's 9g cage, 2g cableties onto bars, 12g bottle and 500g water. That plus 150g filter, streams, and churchyard taps, has always sufficed for my non-Gobi-Desert riding.

R
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
belugabob

Re: bottle cage

Post by belugabob »

:-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

As we know, pretty much anything can be repaired or made from just cableties and gaffertape. This combines the two in a functional yet aesthetically-pleasing little package at a price to suit all pockets :wink: .

I've been mulling over a lightweight seatpack using PP as per the other threads, but it's suddenly struck me that gaffertape will do that job too....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

You selling them please Reg...
RIP

Post by RIP »

I can make the highly complex blueprints available for a small fee :smile: .

All you need is:
2 cableties, coloured to your taste
1 roll of gaffertape (*), coloured to your taste
1 pair of scissors

Construction time: 5 minutes

(*) other sticky tapes are available.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Incidentally I'm perfectly well aware that my thread may be viewed as a piss-take of a remarkably similar, but entirely more professional and considerably more skilled, one not a million miles away.

That might be so if it wasn't for the fact that mine appeared a full 21 hours before the other one. For the record, I'd like to say there's absolutely no hard feelings from me that it's taking the piss out of my thread :wink: :lol: .

redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:49 pm Incidentally I'm perfectly well aware that my thread may be viewed as a piss-take of a remarkably similar, but entirely more professional and considerably more skilled, one not a million miles away.

That might be so if it wasn't for the fact that mine appeared a full 21 hours before the other one. For the record, I'd like to say there's absolutely no hard feelings from me that it's taking the piss out of my thread :wink: :lol: .
:lol: :lol: now you got everyone thinking... Crikey, how much?? Restrap??
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:49 pm Incidentally I'm perfectly well aware that my thread may be viewed as a piss-take of a remarkably similar, but entirely more professional and considerably more skilled, one not a million miles away.
If you're talking about Karl's then don't be so hard on yourself, the computer did all the hard work for his :wink: You're an artisan craftsman :grin:

Although I do have to applaud his 3D modeling ability, the file he sent me for the Valais+ came with the disclaimer that he'd just knocked it up quick and not checked any dimensions but is was spot on :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Karl

Post by Karl »

Reg I tried to copy your idea but it just wouldn't come out like the authentic original. Don't let customs and excise know, they'll pull all my filament so I can't produce anymore fakes :cry:

Reg's bottle cage - original and best.
redefined_cycles

:lol: ... I get it now
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sean/Karl - you both made me laugh out loud there, which is priceless at the moment. I thank you for that :smile: .

'Artisan craftsman' indeed, dear oh dear...

I love This Place :grin: .