What tents do you lot use

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

firestarter

What tents do you lot use

Post by firestarter »

Yes tents , I like tents, i had enough of bivvying in the army, I like a net as I get bitten and I like space,In mine I use the one man inner and dump my stuff in the porch and can cook out of the inevitable rain, I even kept my bike in the porch when at a real campsite

I currently have a luxe mini peak that's great but iirc 2.1kg with pole so I was debating something lighter perhaps but I'm not made of money

Is the lunar solo still the go to. I prefer a double skin tent tbh but it's all money money money I suppose a bearbones pole would help make it lighter probably mmm...

What you all got

I still keep thinking of a 29 plus front wheel for my ramin too this lockdown is expensive :)
Last edited by firestarter on Sun May 10, 2020 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boab

Re: What tents do you lot use

Post by Boab »

Interested in the replies to this. After trying to sleep under a tarp for the last two nights, I'm of the conclusion that I would get on better with a tent. UK made options preferred...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I came up with a design for a lightweight tent based on my experience and stuff I'd read from other experienced campers. I was explaining it to someone, as I thought I might get it custom made, they then told me it was already available.

I bought the Lunar Solo.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

For bikepacking

A terra nova solar photon 2
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lunar Solo is popular for good reason. It's a hybrid design but doesn't suffer with condensation too badly if used sensibly.

I rarely use a tent but was impressed with the Exped Vela but they're not cheap: https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... 9105758464

The SMD Skyscape looks an interesting option. It's still a hybrid design but features plenty of mesh on the 'inner' so again should breath well. the heavier version looks good value at £150 but you'll need to factor poles in: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ent-p10300

I've no direct experience but the Nature Hike tents seem popular and a copy of BA tents.

Alpkit Solo looks another good option.
UK made options preferred...
Not many to go at but Trekkertent are designed AND MADE in the UK.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Lunar Solo.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

your cheapest options are from aliexpress or similar

I use a trekker stealth which i think is perfect but i would class it as a bivvy tent. Its well made so will survive uk weather and has just enough space to get changed and cook inside if you had to and its a double skinned tent [if you consider a bath tub floor with full inner fly netting a second skin[ cloth is avaliable but its heavier ] and vents at either end. 730 gramms with stu carbon poles at each end [ 700 if you use the bars at the back as the mouting point which works fine]
IMHO all bike packing tents are the compromise between weight , pack size , weather protection , condensation, space once up and price.
No tent is the best in all repects so its about compromise and this works for me as its tolerable in all departments. It unzips fully at the back so can be used as a very low tarp for two - bit of a squeeze but doable - only ever done in reasonable weather mind as its pretty low underneath

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/3-stealth.html

I have a sierra designs suite 3 [ 1.4 kg iirc] three man tent i take for two folk [ 750 g each as the poles and peg way that] and that is a great tent for two with two entrances and vestibules. No way I would ever take it solo though and 3 is a squeeze with the mats but dooable.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Terra Nova Laser Comp 1 for me. It’s a really really good tent, just under a kilo with bags of space. Comfort is important for me, so having lots of interior space is welcome.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Another happy Lunar Solo owner here. It's like the monstercross of tents. It's enough of a tent to handle to some fairly "technical" :lol: weather, but with most of the advantages of a tarp, particularly in weight and pack size. Similarly, you could buy a full-susser and a road bike (a four-season expedition tent and bivvy if you're following the analogy), but you couldn't take them on the same ride (though having said that, I have carried a lightweight bivvy bag as well as a Lunar Solo on the same trip, to cater for different situations.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I use an Alpkit Ordos 2. Weighs 1.3kg so pretty light. However its pitched inner first so if you're out in bad weather it may be an issue...
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Deep breath .... Big Agnes Fly Creek High Volume Ultralight 1 ...... and relax. Nice tent. Light. Packs small. Pitches easy enough if you follow the process exactly. Just too small for a Clydesdale.
I'm just going outside ...
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:25 am
UK made options preferred...
Not many to go at but Trekkertent are designed AND MADE in the UK.
Made the mistake of looking at the dyneema Phreeranger shortly after I retreated to the house. 🙈
Lazarus wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:28 am your cheapest options are from aliexpress or similar
I can't speak for firestarter, but unless someone is moving on a 3F UL GEAR Lanshan 1 pro, I'm out...

Since I took the hint and bought an Exped mat, looks like I'll be saving up for a Lunar Solo to go with the Cumulus quit... 👛💸💸💸
Gari

Post by Gari »

Recently came across this guy via a FB group.
I contacted him on Thursday re an inner for my shelters. Answered within a few minutes and was really helpful etc. I ordered one shortly after having checked dimensions etc. I’ll let you know how it goes. Nice looking shelter I think.
And I feel you about bivvi/bags.
https://liteway.equipment/pyraomm-hut
Boab

Post by Boab »

Gari wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:17 pm Recently came across this guy via a FB group.
I contacted him on Thursday re an inner for my shelters. Answered within a few minutes and was really helpful etc. I ordered one shortly after having checked dimensions etc. I’ll let you know how it goes. Nice looking shelter I think.
And I feel you about bivvi/bags.
https://liteway.equipment/pyraomm-hut
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

firestarter wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:45 am I still keep thinking of a 29 plus front wheel for my ramin too this lockdown is expensive :)
I’ve got one of these rims kicking around if any use
https://www.unicycle.co.uk/unicycle-par ... 04EALw_wcB
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Gari

Post by Gari »

K1100T
That the same guy is it?
Boab

Post by Boab »

Gari wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:30 pm K1100T
That the same guy is it?
One of their "friends"...
Snappy tag line though. 🤣
Gari

Post by Gari »

It is indeed😁
RIP

Post by RIP »

Unlikely it'll help much but since you ask, as per the recent tent thread, 20-yr old MacPac Microlight. Goes in a bar bag. One pole, four pegs, and you're done, solid as a rock. Love it.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ton

Post by ton »

Alpkit ordos 2 here.

plenty roomy for me, so plenty plentyplenty roomy enough for you mick. :lol:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I have quite a few tents that I use for different activities but for bikepacking I've had a Trekkertent Stealth 1 which I decided wasn't for me (I hated wriggling in past the end pole and always ended up with a wet back when it was raining). That was replaced by an SMD Garewood Cape which is really a shaped tarp rather than a true tent but I use it with a Borah Gear sidezip bivvy inside which is my minimalist version of an inner tent. I originally planned on getting the Lunar Solo but decided that the Gatewood was more versatile. I also have a Luxe Hexpeak v4a which I have used on occasions on the bike when I wanted the luxury of a proper tent. If I could only have one tent I'd probably go for the Lunar Solo as the best compromise between the two.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Chinese copy of a Lunar solo, before that I used a 3f UL gear 1 manner both weighing 750 ish grams and both work well tbh for the money paid I cant really complain about either, kept me dry on many occasions.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Cheers all some I've seen and some new ideas to look at.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Descutes with the mesh inner (used in the midge season) Not as much room in the mesh inner as a lunar solo but you then have the flexibility of using a lightweight bivvy bag, or even just a ground sheet if its midge free. The inner is a bit dear and one of those nano mesh mozzy net things from sea to summit would work with a ground sheet.

Use to use a F10 helium carbon but the condensation was shocking - you needed to be in a stiff breeze for it to vent properly. The deschutes only gets condensation in still / cold / damp weather. Any hint of a breeze and it stays dry.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Terra Nova Laser Comp here Mick.
Spotty dog imho.