Undecided
20%

Total votes: 66
Jurassic

Re: If we close up for a bit...

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:09 pm
Jurassic wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:02 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:52 pm I'm 99% sure I've now had Covid-19. So (and assuming that makes me immune now) I could go out for a bivvy without any risk to me.
I believe there's now some evidence that this is not the case and that it may well be possible to catch it more than once.
Yeah - the jury is out. (a) there's the possibility that some folk are shaking off the virus without developing the antibodies and (b) we don't know if the antibodies confer immunity anyway. In practical terms though, where I am and what I know of the place I could do a risk-free bivvy. Let's' face it, compared with going to the shops, or the person-to-person contact my wife is exposed to as part of her job as a care at home worker, a night outdoors isn't risky at all. Of course, there is then a moral argument, plus the fact that we (as a society) do seem to be gradually spiralling out of lockdown.
Yeah I think most of us could do a bivvy with no implications to the NHS or greater good and health of the community at large but I think it does go against the spirit of the regulations. My thoughts are by all means go out and do it if you feel you want to but maybe it's better kept to yourself so that you're not creating any kind of moral precedent and also not leaving yourself or bikepackers, cyclists and outdoorsy folk in general open to criticism/judgement by the unenlightened masses.
N.B. When I say you I don't mean you personally Scotroutes, I mean "one" but aren't posh or educated enough to use one. :grin:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

RIP wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:58 pmTBH, done the garden twice now
I’ll be sleeping in my bivvy bag in the garden tonight for the third time in April. The first was a garden BAM. Last night was to watch the Lyrid meteor shower. Waited and waited ‘til I fell asleep. Saw .... none. Going to try again tonight.

Looking on the bright side, the end of May is six weeks away and things might have changed enough for “proper” BAM to resume. Here’s hopin’
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Of course, there is then a moral argument, plus the fact that we (as a society) do seem to be gradually spiralling out of lockdown.

Yes absolutely agree, while I could leave the house late and kip in the woods without risk I’d be making special case for myself,
As per littering I think many people really don’t get the idea of collective responsibility, Most of the world’s problems are caused and solvable by US not them.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The WRT reports have been great fun and some seem to be following the general pattern of folk travelling further and for longer, despite there having been no change to the lockdown rules. I've also seen the same on Strava and on the other social media channels, many folk treating lockdown and furlough as a way to increase the amount of exercise they are getting and intensifying their training.

Personally, I've already more or less come to the conclusion that I'll be doing a "proper" bivvy sometime this month. I guess it's all been a bit of drip, drip, drip, eroding my determination to abide by the rules when others aren't, plus an element of frustration and depression.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Personally, I've already more or less come to the conclusion that I'll be doing a "proper" bivvy sometime this month. I guess it's all been a bit of drip, drip, drip, eroding my determination to abide by the rules when others aren't, plus an element of frustration and depression.
I think there is perhaps a general feeling of despondency growing amongst the population at large - perhaps in part brought about by the seeming lack of direction and a sense that we're simply drifting? It's perhaps also fair to say {and I say this with the upmost respect to those truly effected}, this was going to be an absolute and utter disaster, the like of which we hadn't seen for over 100 years. Yet, the reality for many is very different and disaster hasn't arrived - maybe it will come later or maybe it won't?

Personally, it's little surprise that people are pushing any boundries and I do wonder whether going for a ride of 50 miles poses less risk to self or others than popping a mile down the road to the supermarket?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I do wonder whether going for a ride of 50 miles poses less risk to self or others than popping a mile down the road to the supermarket?
I very much doubted it ever did, particularly in my neck of the woods. I was, however, happy to abide by the rules while everyone else was doing so. Now, not so much.

Hey, we've had fresh snow, it's currently 3c and we have a forecasted high of 5c today. Could be a last "winter" ride.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

very much doubted it ever did, particularly in my neck of the woods. I was, however, happy to abide by the rules while everyone else was doing so. Now, not so much.
I think that's exactly it Colin. Rightly or wrongly, a growing feeling of WTF are we bothering.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Dont disagree with either of you there (Scott and Stu).

Ive stuck to riding from home and whilst I have ventured 'a bit far' here and there ive stuck with from the door and on my own.

Round here though, every layby is full with cars and there are multiple groups of walkers, riders (road and mtb) and friends and family types out and about. Not to mention the Friday street parties (though I just did) which may have started with best intentions but...

There's definitely a portion of society that isn't adhering for whatever reason .
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The increase in traffic over the last 3 weeks has been noticeable. I suspect its people going to visit friends and family as much as driving to places to go for a walk. As long as people stay more than 2 meters apart.....

Looks like they are finally setting up testing stations and they are gearing up to get an army of people to do track and trace on the back of the testing stations so I'm guessing they are hoping to manage ongoing infections that way. Pity they didn't do this right at the start as per Germany.

I'm thinking of a proper bivvy after the next three week block as there does seem to be increasing rumblings that restrictions will start to be lifted over the next few weeks.....
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Because it's not directly affecting them people don't think it's as bad as it is. The media isn't helping as they are downplaying the severity, probably for political reasons.

If you're one of the families on the Island who's relative is laid to rest in a refrigerated shipping container in the hospital car-park I would imagine it's every but as bad as they were predicting, but the news doesn't show the container doors being swung shut, we only hear how well we're doing.

There does seem to be a general sliding of the restraint we (cyclists) had shown to begin with. This weekend my strava feed is full of 100 mile + rides and even 200 mile + rides. Whilst I agree that the risk may be low, seeing as we have the second highest death toll in the world it doesn't feel appropriate to be out riding such distances, even if it's legal.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

The thing with being outside for 6 -12 hours excercising is its fine if three people do it not fine if the entire population of the UK or the IOW decide to do it at the same time.

I agree it seems to be cracking as the Mway was the busiest I have seen on friday [ when i crossed it on a bridge on the bike] and looked about normalish or certainly not hardly acar in sight.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Reckon also got to separate the 'biking' bit and the 'bivvy' bit. If we get told we can have 'unlimited' exercise in a day that covers your 100-mile ride but it probably doesn't cover the overnight ditch. I don't know what does, apart from 'you can now go and stay in a B&B for a night'?

As others have said/implied, even if you are soon allowed unlimited exercise, that might allow 100 circuits of your local park, but a large 100-mile countryside circle would still bring in the risk-of-having-to-be-rescued and the not-staying-local issues.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH I'm thinking 10-20km each way, i.e. less than most folk have ridden this weekend.

Of course, it's also snowing at the moment 😂
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:48 pm TBH I'm thinking 10-20km each way, i.e. less than most folk have ridden this weekend.

Of course, it's also snowing at the moment 😂
Since the lockdown started I think the furthest I've been, on bike or in the car, is about 15km maybe one small loop a couple of km further. Today's ride might have got 10km away (haven't checked) but we've a good network of lanes and BWs here so can get a decent ride done without going too far from home. Not really an option up in the Highlands where in many places 20km doesn't get you to the end of the glen.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I couldn't do the WRT in the end with my buggered wrist. Went to go for a walk today and got this lovely weather for my troubles...
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1144216270

I've been sticking to one a day from home and an hour or thereabouts, my close riding buddy has too, but others we know have been doing much more, which stands out here.

I'd not go camping or bivvying yet as there are some people making unnecessary calls to emergency services if they think someone is out of order, such as kayaking, Im sure they would for camping. If I'd done the WRT I wasn't going to take kit and look like I was touring. I work in outdoor access and have Coast guard mates it'd be all to embarrassing and awkward even though I could do it with no risk WRT c19 at all.

I think it going to be a free for all now with many though
RIP

Post by RIP »

So it seems like us Saesnegs are going to be allowed to ride around for exercise as much as we like from tomorrow - so long as we don't cross into Wales or Scotland and so long as we're alone or in family groups..... will be interesting to see the details tomorrow evening.... can't say I'm particularly going to start doing that myself as I quite like the hour restriction. Be a shame if people take this as suddenly being allowed to drive from Manchester to the Lakes for a 20-minute stroll though.
Last edited by RIP on Sun May 10, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

RIP wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:33 pm So it seems like us Saesnegs are going to be allowed to ride around for exercise as much as we like from tomorrow - so long as we don't cross into Wales or Scotland and so long as we're alone or in family groups..... will be interesting to see the details tomorrow evening....
I thought that was from Wednesday when the biblical storms are forecasted... :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Well, rule change. As of Wednesday.

"Encourage people to take more and even unlimited amounts of outdoor excercise, sit in the sun in your local park, you can even drive to other destinations"
"You must obey the rules on social distancing"

I'm not stating what is right or wrong, my own moral compass will guide me on that as it has so far.

I'll continue to keep my potential contact with others as low as possible (I've even managed not to go to a supermarket in the lockdown.
I'll also continue to ride, likely still from my door until more local communities start to open up fully.

For me a bivi is part and parcel of a trip really rather than a thing in itself so I'm unlikely to bivi out that soon. I'll save it for when decent length trips are back on.
Longer rides seem green lighted if you can do so responsibly though.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Sorry, Wednesday, ta. Yes I think I'm on your page FLV for the moment.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm confused now ... you lot can ride round over there as much as you like but you can't come here to do it. As I'm here rather than there, am I allowed to ride round here as much as I like and if I wanted, could I even go over there to do it? :???:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

You have to stay home still while we have to stay alert. Not sure what we have to stay alert about since it’s not as though we can actually spot a virus but at least they have a new slogan
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:22 pm I'm confused now ... you lot can ride round over there as much as you like but you can't come here to do it. As I'm here rather than there, am I allowed to ride round here as much as I like and if I wanted, could I even go over there to do it? :???:
Maybe...
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I've just done 86 miles on my fake WRT and the furthest I've been from home is just over 8 miles (as the crow flies). Talk about going around in circles.. :roll:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Chew

Post by Chew »

I can see this leading to a lot of aggravation between people travelling and locals living within the National Parks and beauty spots next weekend :???:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FLV wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:50 pm For me a bivi is part and parcel of a trip really rather than a thing in itself
Ah - it's definitely a distinct activity for me (as well as something to do on a longer trip). I really enjoy being out overnight, especially at this time of year when I can sit and watch the sunset and take in a sunrise before a leisurely breakfast.